Opinions please?

Options
Mother Mooch
Mother Mooch Posts: 129
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Long story short, I have a nice set of Monitor 12's that i have been playing with for a while now... Love them dearly, but with my finances there's no way i will be able to buy an amp to power these properly... I guess my question is... How would i maybe go about trading these for something equivalent value, But maybe not HOG as much power? I am driving these with an older pioneer amp 150wpc, but not making them sing! Or should i just sit on them?

Just a thought Gents (and Ladies:)

Steve :(
Post edited by Mother Mooch on

Comments

• maluckey
    maluckey Posts: 11
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I would save them, but I'm biased.

I used to power my Monitor 12 Series 2 with a single Adcom GFA 535 (60 watts continous) and they sounded good, then upgraded (sort-of) to a single 555 II (200 watts), and later, to two of the 555 II in mono (600 watts), the change was really something at each step.

These speakers are rare, and it would be a shame to sell them if you like them. My advice (for what it's worth) If you like them, sit on them, if not, sell to someone that can appreciate them.

Asus Xonar D2X (source)
    Adcom GFP 565 pre amp
    2 x Adcom GFA 555 II (bridged mono) amps
    Polk Audio Monitor12, Series 2, speakers with RDO 198 tweeters
  • Mother Mooch
    edited August 2007
    Options
    maluckey wrote: »
    I would save them, but I'm biased.

I used to power my Monitor 12 Series 2 with a single Adcom GFA 535 (60 watts continous) and they sounded good, then upgraded (sort-of) to a single 555 II (200 watts), and later, to two of the 555 II in mono (600 watts), the change was really something at each step.

These speakers are rare, and it would be a shame to sell them if you like them. My advice (for what it's worth) If you like them, sit on them, if not, sell to someone that can appreciate them.

I was thinking the same thing by sitting on them, But the finances in the future don't look good (divorce) So is it worth just sitting on them or trading them off to someone who can appreciate?

Now i had another question and maybe some of the Gurus' will chime in, but what if i disconected two of the mid drivers? Would that drop my watts down to a managable level?

Thanks
    Steve
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Find somebody here on these forums who is going to love them. Don't disconnect anything.
  • Mother Mooch
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Find somebody here on these forums who is going to love them. Don't disconnect anything.

That's what i am thinking George... Thanks...
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Where are you located?
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    Options
    it sounds like to me that your Pioneer amp has plenty of balls to power those Monitor 12's just fine. i don't see the problem. I vote for you to keep em. you'll prob miss them once they are gone.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited August 2007
    Options
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • Mother Mooch
    edited August 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Where are you located?

PA... Engtaz...
  • Mother Mooch
    edited August 2007
    Options
  • maluckey
    maluckey Posts: 11
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I feel for you as far as divorce. I kept my stereo after my divorce in 1994. You really can't get any reasonable amount of cash versus the intrinsic value of a good design. A couple of hundred for now, then try to replace them with something equivalent three years from now and spend twice what you sold them for. It's harsh but true. I sold my furniture and my car instead, got a bicycle and within a year, had another old beater car.

An example/testimonial for these speakers...I 'm pushing 100 amps per channel without overpowering the speakers! My Lincoln welder in the garage can't put out that sort of juice. Not many speakers can claim to handle that much current.

Asus Xonar D2X (source)
    Adcom GFP 565 pre amp
    2 x Adcom GFA 555 II (bridged mono) amps
    Polk Audio Monitor12, Series 2, speakers with RDO 198 tweeters
  • Mother Mooch
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Buy this Amp: http://cgi.ebay.com/Carver-TFM-35x-power-amp_W0QQitemZ290150941926QQihZ019QQcategoryZ39783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought two of them and they are amazing!!!

If she goes crazy, break-up, get your ring back, hock it and buy more stereo equipment. With the next chick lay down the law. Stereo hobby comes first!

My Fiancee can hit the road if she think I'm selling anything. Believe me, I'll hock that 16k ring and buy a ****-load of new gear and I will never look back ;)

That's a kick a$$ amp for the money... Lol @ hocking ring for Audio equipment!

I got to look at a few things to sell to see if i can come up with the funds to keep these and get a kick **** amp (like this one) I hate to sell them! I loved them more than her :)