Golfers......

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,163
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Which golf balls do you prefer and why. I'm looking at all the different brands, types, and claims made by the maunufacturer's and wondering. My Dad has and always will use Titelist.

I myself have recently been using Maxfli A-10 Ti-Distance and can't complain. Once I find something satisfactory I tend to stick with it. Plus I don't like paying a premium for stuff that is heavily endorsed and advertised.

I know over the past years because of Tiger Woods that Nike golf balls have been the most popular, I find no advantage to them considering they cost about 20% more.

Throw out some opinions..

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited August 2007
    Ive always used Titelist.

Not pricy and work out ok, but than again, I do not consider myself to be a "good" or even an "ok" golfer.

I play a bogy game but really enjoy getting out and hitting the courses!
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2007
    I use Top Flight regular or Top Flight XL 2000 or 3000 which are the best, cheap ball I know of. I won a dozen of the Titleist something IV that's $40+ a dozen and noticed no difference. I'm a very good golfer as well, holding a 4 handicap this year, which should help my credibility with the balls :eek:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    I think the average hacker should use a distance ball, hopefully, it will go farther when you smack it leaving you a more lofted iron into the green.

If your really good you are likely going to use your favorite spinning ball.

RT1
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited August 2007
    I really like Nike power soft. They are about $15/dozen and play really well.

H
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    Those Top Flight XLs are like hitting rocks.

I currently use either Bridgestone e5 or e6. Its the first ball I've used that I noticed not just an improvement in feel, but a clear benefit when it comes to results and performance. To me, they are similar enough to Pro V1s, but cost a fair amount less.

I've played regularly at times Top Flight, Strata, Bridgestone, Nike One, Titleist Pro Vs. I liked the Titleists, but I prefer the Bridgestones for value.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2007
    At my price point, I play the Maxfli Noodles. As little as I play anymore, it doesn't really matter.

My favorite ball used to be the Titleist Professional. Balata rules.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited August 2007
    I used to play Titleist Professionals as well. I also like a Precept ball (can't remember which one but couldn't find it this year). I just started to golf again the last couple of weeks as I had only golfed once in the last 2 years. I too was looking for a ball and had not really found one to my satisfaction until I found a Callaway blue ball during my last round. I will be playing these from here on out. Does anyone know how much they are?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited August 2007
    Brock, You must try the Callaway HX Hot, Titleist NXT or NXT Tour. All three will run you around $25/dozen but well worth the extra coin. All are long off the tee and soft around the greens. If you want to try any let me know, I've got a few lying around.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2007
    Pro v1's and Pro v1x's are the tour leading balls. I like the v1's better than the x's since they're a little softer. Both go a long way off the tee. You get the best of both world's with these balls, long off the tee and high spin off the irons. That's why they cost a small fortune.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    The current "in" bang for the buck ball appears to be the Top Flite D2 Feel or D2 Distance. These are not your father's "Rock" Flites. Top Flite was bought a year or so ago by the Callaway Golf conglomerate (Callaway, Odyssey, Ben Hogan and Top Flite) and these ball are very reasonably priced ($16 ±), with good feel and distance. You give up some spin around the greens but you better be pretty good for that to matter. Another good sub $20 per DZ ball is the Pinnacle Exception (my personal inexpensive favorite). I picked up 4 dozen for less than $50.

For mid priced balls ($25 ± DZ) there is really nothing better than the Titleist NXT or NXT Tour. The Bridgestone e5 or Callaway HX Hot are the challengers in this price range.

Most of the golfers who use the Pro V1, Nike Platinums and similar "premium pro level" balls simply do not have the swing speed or need for spin to take advantage of their properties. The compression is too high. Most weekend golfers will hit a low compression ball like the Noodle or Titleist DT Solo much farther than a Pro V1 and can lose them for a lot less money.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited August 2007
    I bought a dozen NXT Tours...hated them. Still way too hard for my liking, had no feel for it at all....could not control the distance.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited August 2007
    I used to use the balata Titleist as well. Since they are no longer made, ProV1s are the way to go.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited August 2007
    I love the sleeves of free balls given at company tournaments, and the good balls I find while looking for mine in the woods. I have not bought a golf ball in years, find more than I loose and I am happy to reach in the bag and find something white (ish) and round (ish) that I can hit.

Yea, I am a hacker, shooting bogie golf, 12 over is my average, drink too much when playing to give a serious **** about the game, I love it and it's honer and challange and all that, but too many are too frigging serious about the game and can not enjoy it for what it is.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited August 2007
    Over the years (35+), I've played with just about every brand conceiveable. But for sheer consistency and feel, give me a Titelist anytime.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited August 2007
    I've been playing with Nike Power Distance balls and they are treating me pretty well. I seem to have good control of them and they come off the clubface like a rocket. Sams Club sells them 2 doz for about $22 I think.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    Russ,

I wouldn't call a 12 handicap a "hacker". That's crazy!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited August 2007
    I typically play Callaway HX Tours, though will shoot ProV1's if I find them lying around. I also use Nike Mojos on occasion. My game isn't very good regardless, but I like to throw lots of money at the sport anyway. :)
  • TroyD
    edited August 2007
    Hoosier got some game, if he played more often he could be an excellent golfer.

BDT
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited August 2007
    Good responses so far, especially RT & Shack. I've been playing golf since I was about 8-9 years old. But over the past 5-7 years haven't taken it too seriously and maybe played back then about 6 times a year.

This year I've decided to make an effort to play more often and I've been averaging about 6 times a month or more. Started out in the upper 90's then managed the lower 90's and last 2 rounds have been in the mid 80's. But I'm not that serious, I do it for the fun and enjoyment so spending top $$ on equipment just doesn't appeal to me.

I just can't see spending money for Nike or Titelist balls because I know the extra coin goes to pay for marketing but I see a trend here that many of you feel these are worthwhile products that can help your game.

I use the 2nd generation Hogan Radial with Apex 4 shafts. They are forged steel solid body irons with a radial sole. They aren't designed nor do they spin the ball a lot. When hit properly it's like a hot knife going through butter excellent feel.

So I was thinking of maybe trying a ball designed for max. spin and seeing if I can get those type balls to even spin a little bit. We've had about 10 inches of rain this month and the greens around here are so soft that if you come in high the ball sticks within about 6" from where it lands.

Anyways keep the thoughts, ideas and experiences coming. I'm at a point where I may give a different ball a try and see what happens.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    Just as a general comment, I hate "distance" balls. Especially ones that promise "straighter" drives. All you're doing is killing your shot making ability on all but about 12 shots a round. I like the softer/higher spin balls.

Besides, if you can't really control where your drive goes, do you REALLY want to hit it further? And if you can really control where your drive goes, chances are you would lose distance using those balls.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited August 2007
    I use Pro V1 and Prov1x depending on the day, I tend to like the Pro v1x because I spin the ball a little to much. I have about three hundred like new since I marshall at a really tough course and about 25% use Pro V1's can't believe how many I find.

Now with that said Wilson Staff has come out with a new ball that is exceptional and on some sights has been rated above all the mid rangballs. It is the Wilson Staff tx4, for a good price and a really good ball you might give this a try.

Ultimatly it really come down to trying as many as you can and choose the one that works for your game.

The pro's get paid to play certain balls and clubs fitted to just them. We are not that lucky.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    Now with that said Wilson Staff has come out with a new ball that is exceptional and on some sights has been rated above all the mid rangballs. It is the Wilson Staff tx4, for a good price and a really good ball you might give this a try.

The Wilson Staff 50 ball is getting some good reviews as well for less than $15 per dz. For years Wilson was one of the top mfg. for golf equipment. I played Wilson Staff clubs for many years (quite a while ago). For some reason they didn't keep up. They are making some good stuff again. For someone getting into golf or wanting to step up from some beginner clubs you can find a set of Di5 hybrids (#3,#4 hybrid, 5-PW, graphite or steel shafts) for $200 ± on the net. Since Wilson has come out with the Di7 they have been going cheap. They are getting harder to find as folks have "discovered" them but are still out there.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2007
    I play with the MaxFli Revolution balls. They are always half off at Sports Authority ($25/dz down to $12.5). I don't buy that many balls with getting freebies at company tourneys, etc., but when I do, I get a dozen or two of those.

I'm playing tomorrow. Excited to use my new Cleveland Launcher 17 degree stiff Fuji shaft (replaces old QuadPro 3 and 5 woods R flex) and new CG10 black Pearl 54 degree wedge.

Love Cleveland golf clubs. Now carry a whole bag of Cleveland except my putter, a scotty I got off ebay.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • daboyz
    edited August 2007
    I miss Surlyn:rolleyes:
  • TroyD
    edited August 2007
    Well, I think Wilson just sort of missed the boat on a lot of things. There was a time when Wilson baseball gloves were the shiznit.

I play with Wilson Staff (persimmon) 3 and 4 woods that are the shiznit. I also have a 5 that I don't carry a lot. I like them MUCH better than the comparable Titleist PT or Powerbuilt Citation woods or the newer Ping Eye or Zing woods.

Honestly, what ball I've played really has no effect on my scores, my preference is how they feel when I putt and there is no feeling better than balata on my old Wilson 8802 putter.

BDT
  • daboyz
    edited August 2007
    You can try Diamond Tour Golf on Alpine just north of State. My bro got a dozen Pro V's for $18. They're lightly experienced,no water balls. I guess all the local rangers find the Pro V's and bring them to him and he resells them. I looked at them and they are in excellent condition. I won (4) dozen NXT's in a play day so I don't need them but I'll get a dozen when those are gone.
    Dave