aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,489
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
Post edited by aaharvel on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    I'd hit it....2 times.

I'm waiting for the g37x AWD coupe with hardtop convertible tho :)
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited August 2007
    You know why its so sexy to guys??????

Because it looks like a gurly car......
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    Nissan makes good cars but there’s just something about Nissa designs over the years that just do not interest me in any way. I just don’t like the designs of just about all their cars except maybe the now older G35 coupe.

I'm kind of in the market right now for the new M3, 135, Lexus ISF.

In that class of car, if I could get away with 2 seats, I'd probably take a new '08 Z06 without a doubt. Either that or 2 S2000's for me and my wife.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited August 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    You know why its so sexy to guys??????
    Because it looks like a gurly car......

to each his own.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2007
    I think I'll continue to drive my entry level vehicles, save my money, and retire young :rolleyes:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    Mazeroth wrote: »
    I think I'll continue to drive my entry level vehicles, save my money, and retire young :rolleyes:

I would be interested in seeing your Audio setup :)

A comment like this seems out of place on an audiophile forums hahahahaha

Some people would drop more then that cars worth on some equipment.. no problem!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    I guess it depends on how much $ you make.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    I would be interested in seeing your Audio setup :)

A comment like this seems out of place on an audiophile forums hahahahaha

Some people would drop more then that cars worth on some equipment.. no problem!

Here's the thread of the speakers I just got rid of. I built them myself and completed the pair with all supplies for $300. I waited until a good speaker went on buyout at Parts Express and stocked up on them. I also waited for the Fountek ribbon tweeters to go on sale before buying them.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27913&highlight=line+array

The speakers I'm currently building will house 18 Dayton RS150s (6") with a special truncated from direct from the manufacturer (I know people!). On the back will be the same 18 drivers, wired out of phase, to create a perfect dipolar radiation pattern, something I've never seen on a pair of line arrays. They will be around 7.5' tall and have a line of planar/ribbons to complement them (undecided). Crossover duties will be handled by a Behringer DCX2496 active crossover ($250) and amplification will be handled by two Panasonic XR-25 digital receivers (paid $100 each). When everything is complete I will have about $2500 total in everything (ok, $3000 with my infinite baffle sub) including electronics (the DCX2496 does full eq as well) and it will sound better than anything under $25k available commercially IMO. There's just nothing that can touch a well-executed dipole speaker, let alone a fully dipolar line array. They truly have to be heard to be appreciated.

Now, back on topic with the cars! My view is driving a low priced new car as opposed to a $30,000+ car is a good decision. I'm 26 years old and purchased my 2003 Alero back in 2002 for $11,500. My brother wrote a retirement calculator and if I were to average 8% (conservative) yield annually for the next 30 years the $10,000 less I paid for my car (we'll say an average new car for a person out of college is $21,500) that would equate to roughly $60,000 present day value in 2037. Do that a few times with a few cars and that number skyrockets. Each car's investment would decline, due to less years to retirement but it still adds up.
    janmike wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how much $ you make.

My wife and I do very well for our age. She's a teacher almost done with her masters and I'm getting ready to start grad school for my project management masters, but am currently a chemist. We only buy things on sale, clip coupons, rarely go out to eat, drive beaters (her car is 9 years old), don't pay for television (bunny ears for the win) etc. About half of the excess money we make is going on our mortgage and the other half in savings and investments. We could probably do a little better by putting less on the house and more in investments but I'm the type of guy that hates debt and want our house paid off in under 10 years. I'm REALLY trying to retire by 55 and if we keep doing what we're doing that will be cake.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE nice cars and I enjoy driving them but I could never, ever see myself buying one. They're a horrible investment and their return on enjoyment just doesn't add up. My friend works for National car rental and hooked me up in Colorado with a $40,000 Buick Lucerne for the week for $218 with tax. It had the 300hp Cadillac Northstar engine in it and was an absolutely great car. However, after getting out of the car I felt no different. When I went to bed at night I didn't feel better because I was driving a $40,000 vehicle. In fact, I feel better at night knowing I have plenty of money in the bank and investments due to not spending money on things I don't need. Sure, I don't need $3000 worth of speakers and electronics but they're my hobby and I spend, at the minimum, 1-2 hours a day enjoying them.

I'm not trying to put anyone down that enjoys buying expensive vehicles but rather am trying to explain why I just don't get it :D

Alrighty, my wife just baked a cake and she's calling for me to try it. I can't pass that up!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited August 2007
    I'm with Mazeroth, but not for the same reasons. Cars are boring, motorcycles are where it is at.

I only use my car to go back and forth to work, or to pick up something at the store. Bought my Mazda Protege new in 1998, it currently has 52,000 miles on it, should go another 10 years or more easy.

Leaves more money to spend on stereo gear and motorcycles!:D

And don't forget the insurance costs on these expensive boring cars.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    William, don't start the motorcycle argument around here ; I've tried it before and been attacked like a rabbit by a pack of wolves :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited August 2007
    No time to argue about it. It's a beautiful evening, and I'm heading out for a ride. I may see a few of these fancy sports cars while I am out...in my rear view mirror.;)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    No time to argue about it. It's a beautiful evening, and I'm heading out for a ride. I may see a few of these fancy sports cars while I am out...in my rear view mirror.;)
    That all depends on what kind of sports car you're talking about. I've beaten a few bikes on parkway runs.

As for motorcycles vs. cars, I'd love to own a bike and probably would if it wasn't so congested here. Between my obsession with speed and with how careless others are around here, it'd be a recipe for disaster.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited August 2007
    Maz,

Rock on man. I'm the same age as you, and in a similar boat... you nailed my plan on the head! Although, I'm shooting more for 50 to retire at ;) Time will tell heheh.

Cheers!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier