Vista performance update

carpenter
carpenter Posts: 362
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
(Why does MS try so hard to avoid using the Term: "Service Pack" I'll never know)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3fb80bb9-d832-425b-b42c-d3eb2071bbec&DisplayLang=en
"If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
Post edited by carpenter on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the heads up.

To answer your question, because it's not a service pack.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    SP 1 is due out pretty soon, I heard it was delayed. I also read that MS is releasing a huge non-critical patch sooon thats designed to fix multiple performance related problems such as the TCPIP packet inspection thingy thats slowing down file transfers.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited August 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    SP 1 is due out pretty soon, I heard it was delayed. I also read that MS is releasing a huge non-critical patch sooon thats designed to fix multiple performance related problems such as the TCPIP packet inspection thingy thats slowing down file transfers.

Well SP1 isn't due out that soon. Microsoft never gave any indication it would be out around now. The latest rumors are a beta of SP1 in November.

Remember, a service pack is just that. A collection of patches. It'll include all of the patches/updates so far through Windows Update but also some still in testing that you can currently only get by manually looking through the knowledgebase.

Don't expect huge changes like Windows XP SP2.

As for the huge, non-critical patch.... that is what the poster linked to. heh. There is a second one as well on their website but it's expected that both will be put onto Windows Update soon anyway.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    My Vista computer has been off for almost 4 months now and I really have no intention of turning it back on till SP1 :D

I can't stand Vista.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited August 2007
    I had to view that page in Firefox because IE wouldn't load... effin' MS crap. Linux rulz. :D
  • Systems
    edited August 2007
    My Vista computer has been off for almost 4 months now and I really have no intention of turning it back on till SP1 :D

I can't stand Vista.

I had bought a top of the line Dell Latitude D830 to test Vista for my company. Lets just say that it sits behind me now playing music on itunes and that’s it.

I’m back on XP and I have bought at least 20 Dells with a Vista license for which we are slapping xp on.

I had no technical problems with it (thing snot working).. it was just a DOG. That laptop running nothing but Itunes will sit there and crunch on its hard drive all friggen day long, even with major services shut down like indexing.

Im also very unhappy with Office 2007. Ug, I hate it. We have bought 40 open licenses for Office 2007 pro and we are still throwing on Office 2003 pro. Don’t get what they were thinking with that xml sheet, you know, why do they gotta change crap all the time…

Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2007
    Well SP1 isn't due out that soon. Microsoft never gave any indication it would be out around now. The latest rumors are a beta of SP1 in November.

Remember, a service pack is just that. A collection of patches. It'll include all of the patches/updates so far through Windows Update but also some still in testing that you can currently only get by manually looking through the knowledgebase.

Don't expect huge changes like Windows XP SP2.

As for the huge, non-critical patch.... that is what the poster linked to. heh. There is a second one as well on their website but it's expected that both will be put onto Windows Update soon anyway.

XP is annoying right now. We get a new Dell, blow it out (XP SP2) and then download exactly 92 updates for it.. Jesus.. why don’t they just friggen put them all together and roll them out in XP SP3.

I must admit that this isn’t to bad. When I installed UBUNTU last time, it did like 250 updates with the brand new version that came out (few months back) :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    I'd rather see 92 updates than only a couple.....then you know there are massive loopholes and issues with the OS.

My vista HTPC was nothing but a resource hog, even for just playing back a DVD. The comp has a good mobo, nice video card, 2 gigs of ram, yet still runs like a tank. I've been dying to get my hands on a media center 2005 license.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2007
    I'd rather see 92 updates than only a couple.....then you know there are massive loopholes and issues with the OS.

My vista HTPC was nothing but a resource hog, even for just playing back a DVD. The comp has a good mobo, nice video card, 2 gigs of ram, yet still runs like a tank. I've been dying to get my hands on a media center 2005 license.

I'm very happy with my Media Center 2005 HTPC. I was going to upgrade to vista, but since from what I hear it's such a resource hog, I'm not going to.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!