For You Dad

schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,335
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
It's Aug. 11 and the days are getting noticeably shorter. The excitement that I had for my garden in early Spring is now a tiring chore. I still enjoy it but Summer is fading.

It just struck me as I wrote the date on this post that it's been ten years to the day since my father died. We didn't always get along, he was always very critical of me. I was the oldest son and I couldn't do anything right. He had much more praise for my brothers or more of the strap for me. I probably deserved it LOL! I was a brash, ill mannered kid that knew it all. His criticism drove me to perform and prove to him that I was better than he thought I was. I am much more successful that either of my brothers but he never acknowledged my achievements. I was considered the lazy one who collected baseball cards and wasted my money on that "jungle music" and British trash. He couldn't wait to give my baseball cards away to my cousins when I was 15 and out of the Pony League. I had every Topps baseball card made between 1960 and 1967. Many of them priceless in today's market. Most of my music is still around. I met more friends, had more fun with my music hobby than anything I ever did.

With all the criticism I had for my father, he did teach me many lessons. Like how to smoke cigarettes. I habit that took 15 or so years to break. All kidding aside he drove me to work hard. I worked at an automobile parts store that he was the manager. I started by sweeping floors, cleaning toilets, putting away stock, etc. Eventually, I began to work at the counter, look up parts for customers, work in the machine shop, learn some things about how cars worked and how to repair them. These lessons are valuable and will stay with me always. He also taught me what kind of father not to be. I don't ridicule my children, nor have I raised a had, yet alone a strap to any of them.

He was a military man who spent combat time in Europe (mostly Germany and France) and Korea. He thought the military build strong men and wanted this for me to toughen me up. After all, I had a Beatles hair cut and listened to the Lovin' Spoonful and Jimmy Hendrix. When I turned 17 he took me to the Army recruiting office to join me up. I refused to sign the papers. He was furious, I had no intentions of going to Viet Nam, even though I genuinely supported the was against this Commie Pinkos.

He taught me all about baseball and how to grow vegetables in the garden. He too me to my first baseball game at Pittsburgh's old Forbes Field. It was a double header on labor day 1960. Bill Mazeroski and Bill Virdon hit home runs in the first game to help the Pirates win. In the second game, Hammerin' Hank Aaron and Eddie Mathews led a vicious offensive attack and the Pirates went down. I'll never forget that day.

On the day he died in the Veterans Hospital (he spent time in Europe and Korea), I sat on the steps that we walked down so many years ago to get to old Forbes Field. The sky was overcast, warm but not hot, and just a little humid. I thought about him a lot and I cried my eyes out. I'm spilling my gut today because I don't think I ever told anyone how I felt about my dad, or how our relationship was. When I look into the mirror, I see the resemblance between him and me. I hope that I am different, but I love and miss him enormously.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    AWESOME Rant! Heartfelt and insightful and your memory seems very, very good. I was just thinking this week how I wish I had more time with my dad.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    Nice write-up Carl. Sounds familiar.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited August 2007
    Cool post. There is soo much BS flying around this forum, that it is a breath of fresh air when someone speaks from their heart.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2007
    Nice post.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited August 2007
    This is carl for those who know the man personally.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited August 2007
    Carl,

Thanks for sharing your dad and your thoughts with us.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited August 2007
    That was a masterpiece.

Thanks for that post.
    Sal Palooza
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited August 2007
    Very well said Carl,, lost my Dad seven years ago in February,,just reading your post made me think of him,,, thanks for sharing.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for sharing, Carl. great reading!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited August 2007
    Nicely said Carl.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited August 2007
    Very heartfelt post, Carl. My father passed away 12 years ago this month. I still think of him everyday and miss him terribly.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited August 2007
    Carl,I swear you just wrote a chapter of my childhood and my relationship with my father.

We are both about the same age,and our fathers are also from the same generation.

I have said a million times that I would never be the man that he was,but I look in the mirror once in a while and realize that I am more like him than not.

My father has been gone for 18 years...

You speak of your father with respect,and that says a lot about you.

It takes a true man to open up and share such feelings...I tip my hat to you.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited August 2007
    ***************()
    **************(())
    *************((()))
    **************\\//
    **********~~~~~~
    ************|****|
    ************|****|
    ************|****|
    ************|****|
    ************|****|******/\
    ************|****|*****/__\
    ******____i__|____|______/
    *****\__________________/
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited August 2007
    Refreshing post, and thank you.

I lost my mother to cancer when I was 16 but still have my father...

I am going to hug him today.

Thanks Carl.
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Very nice Carl.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited August 2007
    Cool post Carl.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • schwarcw
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for all your kind comments everyone. I didn't start out with the thread to come together as it did. It all just kind of came out in about the three minutes it took to write. For sure it was uncensored heartfelt feelings. As someone said, not enough of that around here. Then again, this is an audio forum and we love to argue about cables and other things that really don't mean **** in the big picture of things.

I got some PM from folks who never had a father, or who had a broken family. My heart goes out to each of you. Use the thread, send it to others, I'm glad that some of you found some use in it. I suspected that a lot of us had the same kind of relationships with our fathers. Your comments and replies validates my thoughts. Whatever your relationship is with your parents, make the most of it. For those of you who are estranged from your parents, put for the effort to bury the hatchet. Live in love.

Carl
    Carl

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited August 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Thanks for all your kind comments everyone. I didn't start out with the thread to come together as it did. It all just kind of came out in about the three minutes it took to write. For sure it was uncensored heartfelt feelings. As someone said, not enough of that around here. Then again, this is an audio forum and we love to argue about cables and other things that really don't mean **** in the big picture of things.

I got some PM from folks who never had a father, or who had a broken family. My heart goes out to each of you. Use the thread, send it to others, I'm glad that some of you found some use in it. I suspected that a lot of us had the same kind of relationships with our fathers. Your comments and replies validates my thoughts. Whatever your relationship is with your parents, make the most of it. For those of you who are estranged from your parents, put for the effort to bury the hatchet. Live in love.

Carl
    Good advice Carl. once there gone there is no bringing them back. There is not a day that goes by that I wish I hadndt spent more time with both my parents and once yesterday is gone its gone.

All we can do is live every day the best we can and hopefully have no regrets at the end of it. If your are satisfied when you look in the mirror at the man looking back at the end of the day you have done your best.

There are very few things in life that are actually important your parents are one of those things.

God rest your fathers soul and hopefully he is in a much happier place now. And that you will get a chance to say anything you want when you meet him there.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Well said Snow.

And it's not just parents folks! Stay close to your brothers & sisters as well. My family went from a family of 4 down to 2 in less than a year after my mother died.

With her death my brothers & I became the senior generation & one month short of my mother's 1st anniversary death our older brother collapesed & spent almost 2 1/2 yrs as another Terry Schiavo. He was only 46 at the time.

That was waay too young, but we can't control these things. Life is too short to waste time on petty grudges, jealousys, & stupidness! So get close & stay close, since it could change in the blink of an eye!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited August 2007
    Nice post Carl, sorry about your pop. When it comes to parenting--we're ALL first timers; none of us is perfect.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • schwarcw
    edited August 2007
    Steve,

You reminded me of a very important point that I failed to include in my writeup. My father's dad died when my father was only five. He was the victum of a coam mining tradgedy back in the late '20's. So my father never knew his dad or had any role model or guidance on how to be a father. It's amazing that he did as well as he did. I would have failed miserably without my dad to judge my behaviors. In many instances, I did just the opposite of what he did knowing the impact it had on me. But he never even had that point of reference. I owe you a beer Herr Schwartz. Danke!
    Carl

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited August 2007
    Excellent tribute Carl. A good reminder that life goes by quicker than you think, and to enjoy every moment with your loved ones.

I had to call dad last night after reading this....thanks for reminding me of what is truly important in life.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2007
    Just saw this; great write up. I hope I can be 1/2 good a dad as the one I have.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman