Any Opinions On Sharp Aquos?

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have the opportunity to purchase a 42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV for a very very good price.

Does anyone here have any experience with this TV? I always thought that Sharp products were garbage am I wrong?

Thanks
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited August 2007
    They've gotten great reviews. They're Sharps flagship I think. If it's a very good price, I'd jump on it.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    I've read a lot of good things about them, and they have got a lot of great reviews...Nice picture from what I have seen in the store, and that's most likely uncalibrated around here....
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    From what I've read, the Sharp Aquas LCD's are top of the line. You can't go wrong, they are one of the largest LCD makers in the business.
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    I was looking at a Panny flat screen either plasma or LCD but I can get this 42" Aquos for $500 to $1000 less than the Pannys at least less than the prices of the 42" Pannys on Crutchfield.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    Great TV, but expensive. If you got a good price, hop on it.
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    I'm looking at $1168.00 and I may not have to pay for shipping.
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    Me and Phyllisann are struggling with whether we want a 50" flat screen or a 42". The living room is 14' X 16' and the TV will go on the 14' wall.

The reason this Sharp is so hot is because it is a QVC special and my son works there with a discount.

BTW guys'n'gals this is a special on QVC starting at Midnight and very limited quantities so if you have been in the market for an LCD 42" the QVC special price tonight is like $1400 for this Aquos.

I have no affiliation with QVC.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    I'm looking at $1168.00 and I may not have to pay for shipping.

AH........Buy it. :D

It should fit fine in your room...What are you running now?
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited August 2007
    Sharp's quality has dropped within the past couple of years. The displays coming out of their new factory are supposed to be a little better, but I don't think they are quite on par with thier previous stature yet.

My suggestion would be to wait a little longer and get a Sony or maybe the 1080p Panasonic plasma.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    AH........Buy it. :D

It should fit fine in your room...What are you running now?

ROTFLMAO!!! A 15 year old 27" Mitsubishi TV that has a coax in and a yellow video, red and white audio ins and that is it!!! You want a real laugh?, it is being fed by a Comcast HD DVR!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    okiepolkie wrote: »
    Sharp's quality has dropped within the past couple of years. The displays coming out of their new factory are supposed to be a little better, but I don't think they are quite on par with thier previous stature yet.

My suggestion would be to wait a little longer and get a Sony or maybe the 1080p Panasonic plasma.

We originally were going to go with a 50" Panny plasma. As a matter of fact I started a thread on it way back. The reason we didn't was because the great deal we were going to get on it dropped out and we've kinda been working on other parts of the house.

The living room is now a priority and the home theater audio portion is complete we just need the flat screen. 50" seems right and I would hate to buy the 42" and find it is insufficient.
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    We are getting it. If it is too small, I'll either put it in the master bedroom or I'll send it back.

Dun deel!!!

Thanks for your help and advise.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2007
    That's a pretty sick price for that tv. Definitely a good value for a 42" 1080p LCD. Sony''s new 40" 1080p LCD has an MSRP of $2299. The Sharp won't have the black level or viewing angles of the Sony, but it's certainly a lot less money. Great deal!
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    fireshoes wrote: »
    That's a pretty sick price for that tv. Definitely a good value for a 42" 1080p LCD. Sony''s new 40" 1080p LCD has an MSRP of $2299. The Sharp won't have the black level or viewing angles of the Sony, but it's certainly a lot less money. Great deal!

Thanks, I believe it is on QVC now.
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited August 2007
    I just got a 58pz700u Panny 1080P plasma with a Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD player.....The Panny rocks.....:D
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited August 2007
    Hearingimpaired, what is the model number of the TV?

Someone mentioned 1080p, but from what I see, you never said it was 1080p. If this is a current model, it looks like the only one still made is the LC-42D62U.

I had read somewhere that the 42" and lower sizes were not actually made in Sharp's newer plants, but they were either outsourced or made in one of the older plants.

Not sure if you are getting the 62U series, but here is some talk about the different plants, etc.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=733575
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    My friend just got the 42" Sharp Aquos LCD 1080p and let me tell you it's a great TV. PQ is awesome, he doesnt even have cable hooked up to it, he just uses it for Xbox 360 :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    Hearingimpaired, what is the model number of the TV?

Someone mentioned 1080p, but from what I see, you never said it was 1080p. If this is a current model, it looks like the only one still made is the LC-42D62U.

I had read somewhere that the 42" and lower sizes were not actually made in Sharp's newer plants, but they were either outsourced or made in one of the older plants.

Not sure if you are getting the 62U series, but here is some talk about the different plants, etc.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=733575

Yes it it 1080 p and it has a 170 degree range of viewing also. Thanks for the link Bill.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited August 2007
    Congrats on the new display. :) That will be my next major upgrade myself.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    It looks like I'll be getting it the week of Aug 20th. I can't wait! I've had this great HT rig in boxes waiting for a nice flat screen. It looks like the wait will be over shortly.

I just thought of something. I know less than squat about setting up home theater. . . good thing this is a home theater forum.:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    red blue green red white is component

hdmi is since wire looks like a giant USB cable :)

DVI is outdated....scrap it

red white yellow is composite.....which is also outdated...scrap it

toslink is the cable with the bright red light on the end when its on :)

btw, that comcast HD DVR looks better via HDMI......like significantly better in my opinion....
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    red blue green red white is component

hdmi is since wire looks like a giant USB cable :)

DVI is outdated....scrap it

red white yellow is composite.....which is also outdated...scrap it

toslink is the cable with the bright red light on the end when its on :)

btw, that comcast HD DVR looks better via HDMI......like significantly better in my opinion....

Thanks Bro. . . Now if I can get this short attention and memory span to stick for a couple weeks, I'm good to go.:D :p
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 7
    edited August 2007
    No experience here with the 42" AQUOS, but this year I purchased a 52" which was my first Sharp. I was pleasantly surprised/relieved that there were and have been no banding nor dead pixel issues. After years of being wary of the brand, I can say that I'm quite happy with the TV.

BTW, a big "Hello" and "Thank You" is in order to all forum members. This is my first post, but hours of reading threads over the last few weeks have been a valuable source of information.
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    Welcome aboard! Thanks for a little peace of mind.