?s

dirthog
dirthog Posts: 124
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I’m about to get all of the home improvement’s done and will be getting back to finishing the system, finally after a yr. Before I tackle it I have a few questions. The install is for an 01 Chrysler Seabring Coup.

1) Deadening the door: On the outer part of the door what do you use behind the speaker deflex pad, ensolite the whole thing, ensolite just behind the speaker. According to Rick using ensolite on the whole door can cause the mids to become muddy. Wondering if others have found this to be true.

2) Should I play with aiming the mids or does it not play as big of a factor as the tweeters? They are in the doors and are already on an angle facing the middle of the car.

3) I currently have one Sr124-dvc and I’m thinking about adding another one. I would like some more spl but I don’t want to give up any sq. Do you run 1 or 2 subs? What are the pros/cons of running 1 or 2?
HU: 880PRS
Front: SR6500
Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
Sub: SR124-DVC
Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
Post edited by dirthog on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    I dont use Rammat, but I havent heard of people getting muddy midbass from "ensoliting" the whole door, I wonder what his reasons are.

Aiming mids:
    Yes, itll make a difference, not as much as the tweeters, but it is still very important, this is why kicks are so popular. Midbass and tweeter are both aimed and the drivers are really close together so it minimizes the comb effect.

If you want more bass, add another SR, theoretically, itll add 3dB, shouldnt harm SQ at all as long as theyre in the proper box.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited August 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    If you want more bass, add another SR, theoretically, itll add 3dB, shouldnt harm SQ at all as long as theyre in the proper box.
    -Cody

And if you plan to keep the MRD-M1005 (nice amp BTW), it won't be stable down to 1 ohm with a second SR124 DVC added in parallel. If you wire up two SR124 DVCs in series for a 4 ohm load, each sub will see approximately 350 watts RMS (which will negate the extra 3db gain from adding the 2nd sub).

If two SR124 DVCs are in the cards for you, you may want to upgrade the amp to something that will do 1200-1500 watts RMS @ 1 ohm ;).