Boat amp and speaker upgrade questions

cwhyte
cwhyte Posts: 27
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Currently, I have a 21' bowrider with an upgraded Clarion M455 head unit and the 4 Clarion M1600 stock speakers. My goal is to improve sound quality and volume, within a reasonable budget. I removed one of the speakers to check it out and it is not that impressive. I'm happy with the head unit, and it has pre-Amp ouputs, so I think I'll keep it. So, here's my plan and questions.

I purchased a Clarion APX480M 4 Channel Amp. I plan to replace the 4 stock speakers with Polk MMC speakers, and add another pair of speakers in the bow area. I am considering a self powerd, enclosed Bazooka subwoofer, but I probably won't decide on that until I hear the Amp and speakers first. I may be happy without the sub.

Questions:

1. Any opinions on what I am planning so far?
2. To power 6 speakers with a 4 channel amp, do I simply put two pairs of speakers in parallel, and adjust the gain so the volume is similar to the other pair of speakers? I don't really know much about Amps.
3. If I add a powered subwoofer later, since I don't have pre-Amps for that, can I use a powered signal from the head unit to send to the subwoofer.
4. I I get an enclosed subwoofer, I am thinking of putting it below the rear bench seat. Does that sound like an acceptable location...I don't think I have many alternatives.

Thanks for any input.
Post edited by cwhyte on

Comments