Adcom equipment

caseymou
caseymou Posts: 327
edited October 2002 in Electronics
A guy at work is offering an adcom 2 ch. setup for sale. I have looked on ebay from some price guidance but I know the selling prices are normally high there. The setup is as follows:

GFA-545 II amp.
GTP-400 tuner/pre.

I like the sound and am considering upgrading to seperates, but what is the true market value of this setup? I will only buy if the price is good, otherwise I will wait until I am truely ready. Cash is at a premium around the household right now. Remarks?

BTW, I believe the equip. is in excellent condition, he is the original owner. I have bought from him before and he takes care is his stuff.
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    As far as true value, well I dunno. A wise man once told me that for amps, a dollar a watt is a good deal. I'm sure from ebay you can tell what he can expect to get if he goes that route.

Having said that, I like the Adcom gear that I've heard although my experience with the amps is the odd demo. I own an Adcom passive preamp and love it. Bottom line, I think that it would be a good way to break in to separates without breaking the bank.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • caseymou
    edited September 2002
    Troy,

Using your "dollar per watt" equation the 545 (rated at 100 w/channel into 8 ohms) would be worth $100 or $200.

What about a 4 ohm load (adcom rates the 545 at 150w/channel into 4 ohms)?

I think this is the neighborhood he is looking for anyways. Probably $200 for amp and $100 for pre.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    IMO 300.00 for that set up would be a good deal.

Past Ebay closing prices for the 545II are 225-250.
    Past Ebay closing prices for the 400 are around 150-160

So Ebay is 375.00-410.00
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    IMO, 100wpc - $100 (@ 8 ohms).......

I'd say that 200 for the amp is OK, 100 for the pre is good. So 300 total, yeah, I'd go for that. I wouldn't say you were getting a steal but certainly you would probably pay more on ebay.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • caseymou
    edited October 2002
    I got it today. $275 of course no shipping since it's local. Unit is immaculate with manuals but no boxes. I hope when I get it home it sounds better than my integrated NAD 7175. I'm sure it will-and it looks cooler. About time to sell the NAD now.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    How much for the Nad?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • caseymou
    edited October 2002
    one just sold on ebay for $150. Mine is at least as nice, probably nicer with box (box isn't in great shape) and I think manual. I recently replaced the memory cap. and bass pot. Pretty common problems I guess. I will list for $150 reserve. Anyone interested can have it for that + shipping.