Tax Exempt question

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,574
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
How many digits do church tax exemption numbers have?

And do they have to start with any sort of pattern?

Thanks
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    Do I even want to know why you are asking this? :p
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2007
    What do you mean, tax exempt on a tax form or when you go to buy something and they ask for your id #?
  • swegyptian
    swegyptian Posts: 316
    edited August 2007
    Does it vary by state? I don't know that the church thing matters.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    I assume you are looking to be able to spot valid Church tax id's when someone is buying PA gear at your place of work ?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited August 2007
    Ask for a copy of the tax cert if you are worried. I charge tax unless I get a copy for my files. I don't care if it's a school, church, whatever.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2007
    Each state issues their own tax id numbers. Most use some combination of the FEIN + something state specific.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2007
    Tax exempt question? That mean I don't have to pay tax on my answer? :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • KG Audio
    KG Audio Posts: 79
    edited August 2007
    How many digits do church tax exemption numbers have?

And do they have to start with any sort of pattern?

Thanks

Be more specific and I might be able to answer or lead you in the right direction.

I deal with TAXABLE entities so tax-exempt entities are not my specialty.

KG, CPA
  • VR3
    edited August 2007
    Just trying to figure out how to verfiy a churches Tax Exempt number on a sizeable PA sale.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    Just trying to figure out how to verfiy a churches Tax Exempt number on a sizeable PA sale.

I think you could call the state.....or the IRS....Maybe the BBB....If all of these are a no-go, they could tell you where to go to verify it.......
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007

I believe that if a church is an official tax-exempt organization than it needs to be qualified as an Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) organization. If this is the case, it needs to file a Form 990 (like a 1040 for individuals or 1120 for corporations) with the IRS.

I think that this Form 990 is a public record so you should be able to find a copy of the final form that was filed with the IRS. Since I don't deal with tax-exempt organizations, I am not sure where to find these but I am assuming that if you do a "google" you will find something.

If I remember, I will check at work tomorrow and post a response.

KG
  • VR3
    edited August 2007
    Alright...

From what I am reading online -

Churches do not have to file for tax exemption, they ARE tax exempt automatically? Is this correct?
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007
    Alright...

From what I am reading online -

Churches do not have to file for tax exemption, they ARE tax exempt automatically? Is this correct?

Not the CATHOLIC church!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

KG
  • VR3
    edited August 2007
    if you can do that for me - would greatly******** appreciate it!!!
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007
    if you can do that for me - would greatly******** appreciate it!!!

If I don't respond by 12:00 PST, I probably forgot so PM me to remind me.

KG
  • VR3
    edited August 2007
    will do

First thing in the morning, helps me more than ya know.

And if it is possible - if you can provide a source to your findings as well... just would make the whole process easier.

Thanks again! :)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007

Trey, I deal with this everyday as a manufacturer. We are tax exempt on a bunch of things, but mainly anything that I buy from another company that goes into my products.

The church has a sales tax exemption certificate, and you should give them nothing tax free until they provide that for your company's records. You don't need to do anything here other than ask for their certificate. The onus is on them, not you.

This is a cropped screen shot of the one we use here in WI. They will all contain similar information, but the exact document varies state by state.

stexcert.jpg
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited August 2007
    Trey,

call your state's tax dept. they should be able to answer your question.

as far as I know, no organization is automatically tax exempt. here in NJ, we reciprocate if the Fed considers you tax exempt.

they should have a certificate they issue to a retailer regarding tax exempt sales, and the retailer should keep that bad boy on file. I know NC isnt my state, but I cant see that being done without a paper trail.

call NC tax dept and find out what it is.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    The church has a sales tax exemption certificate, and you should give them nothing tax free until they provide that for your company's records.

stexcert.jpg

GREAT ADVISE. as a tax investigator, I've had people in religious regalia claiming to be a church and exempt from tax. They'll guilt you with the God angle, but if you dont have there paperwork, the retailer is responsible ultimatly, which is a pretty bid deal especially on a large sale.

asking for the docs should be a no brainer, and no crap should be given in responce. if there is, its a more than even money shot there is a problem. You just have to find out what that form is.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007
    Here is what I found out after talking with a not-for-profit person here at the firm.

Churches are not required to file for exemption, they are automatically considered exempt. See page 1, bottom of the 3rd column of the below link.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf

Also not required to file Form 990. See page 3, top of the 3rd column of the below link.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf

The person said that although not required, a church that wants to be credible will go ahead and file the above forms. They will also usually have an audit done.

Anyways, based on the other responses in the thread, you may want to ask for the tax exempt certificate and a legit church should provide it.

HTH...

KG
  • VR3
    edited August 2007
    KG - You made tommorow 100000 times easier for me.

I cant thank you enough!
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007
    KG - You made tommorow 100000 times easier for me.

I cant thank you enough!

No problemo!!! ;)

Where should I send my bill? :D:p:)

KG