my Alpine 9885 conclusion

vawakemonster
vawakemonster Posts: 131
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
About 2 weeks ago i stepped up tot he plate and purchased an alpine 9885. My first thoughts were it feels much more solid built then my previous HU the 4900mp by pioneer.
Preouts-the 4volt preoouts made for a different sound experience ESP. in the bass department the 2vlt sounded "louder" and "softer" and "flopy" the first thing I noticed int he upgrade to 4Vlts is the firm crisp bass that i fell is like a cracker versus the old bass being jello.

processing-
the sub controls lack a crossover point selection that the pioneer had and it was half of the cost. the HPF setting is also a bit hazy it says HPF and then has 8...120...ETC it does not in the manual tell weather it cuts the speakers off at 80 or the entire system. I assume its only the speakers and the sub is set at 80 but I am not sure.
there is both the EQ where i can chose a bandwidth and adjust for both bass and treble and then there is also a bass and treble control in the rotary menu that I can adjust.

the features I like are the "power ic" where I can turn off the internal amplifier . "defeat On/off" to restore factory settings. the Ipod control. and the mute and pause buttons.

over all my conclusion is the alpine is a solid HU with better SQ than my old pioneer it is better layed out and contains some high end features. however it lacks some simple what seem to me crucial elements for tuning a stereo that a 300 dollar HU would be used to power.
Dodge Dakota
HU: Pioneer
Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
Subwoofer: polk mm2104
Post edited by vawakemonster on

Comments