system restore not working

krabby5
krabby5 Posts: 923
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hey all,

I screwed up when i was trying to install an Xbox Guitar Hero controller into XP using USB. It appeared that the process of installing the driver was stuck, so i went into Task mgr and deleted it.. Now it seems I can't uninstall or find another driver for the device. (keep in mind, this is a device that should you should be able to use in Windows)..I get the following message and can't get rid of it..

"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"

No matter what I do, I can't get Windows to install a new driver...When I plug in the controller, it gets recognized, but the driver is invalid..

So I just decided to restore back a couple days before I screwed up the install...

But when i try to restore, it doesn't work..I can choose the restore day and everything appears to be working..the computer reboots, but when it gets to the desktop, a message tells me that I am unable to restore to that day..I've tried a few dates and none of them work..I've even tried this in Safe mode to no avail..

any ideas?

and if yer wondering why I'd want to install a guitar hero controller to windows, there is a Guitar Hero-like program that uses user-created songs..I wanted to try it out..
Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
Post edited by krabby5 on

Comments

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited August 2007
    Control panel, systems , hardware, device manager..

look down the "tree" and see if your controler is listed.... probably under sound a game controlers... if it is..right click it and delete or remove it. restart computer, then try again
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • krabby5
    edited August 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    Control panel, systems , hardware, device manager..

look down the "tree" and see if your controler is listed.... probably under sound a game controlers... if it is..right click it and delete or remove it. restart computer, then try again

Once plugged in, it is listed under Xbox 360 controller in the Device manager..

I have done your suggestion...once it reboots, it gets recognized as the guitar controller, but doesnt get to the point of install because of the error 37 message that keeps coming back..bottom line..I can't update the driver..it won't let me...everything keeps coming back to the error 37 message..

I just want to go back a couple days before I screwed up the install in the first place..but I can't do that either..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • jakelm
    edited August 2007
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• krabby5
    edited August 2007
    jakelm wrote: »

yep..already have that software on my computer..:)

When I look into Device Mgr, it shows up with a "?" I think..and the driver shows as not installed because of the error 37 message..

no matter what I do, I can't get Windows to install the correct driver..which is why I just wanted to restore the computer back and try again..

thanks for your help though..i'm at a loss..
  • jakelm
    edited August 2007
    Go to ad/remove programs. Uninstall the microsoft software. Redownload it and reinstall it. If that doesnt work, I wouldnt know without looking at the pc.

By deleting what you did, I'm assuming it s a protocal you corrupted. If so, you need to run the xp repair disk and then go back to installing the driver.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• krabby5
    edited August 2007
    I ended up getting a driver installed..I just used WinRar to extract the contents of the driver exe and instructed the wizard to install the .inf file directly..

what a simple solution to a pain in the butt..