Got a pair of SDA's! (SDA 2A or 2B)

Options
riker1384
riker1384 Posts: 35
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I got a pair of SDA 2A or 2B for $75 at a garage sale. It's the one with a tweeter, two 6.5" woofers and a big 12" passive radiator. They look to be in excellent condition but I haven't tested them yet. The seller was a friend and he'll refund me if they don't work.

I have no idea where I'm going to put these. At first I was interested in them because they looked like big huge 3-ways, but I see they're just 2-way. Still I'm hoping I can have fun with them and find some use. With the SDA circuit, do both 6.5" woofers actually produce bass? I'd hate to fire these towers up and get bass like from a mini-monitor.

I only have two receivers, and Onkyo TX-8511 stereo 100wpc and a TX-SR502 surround receiver. I think the 502 sounds a bit better, it has less noise at least. Does anyone know if these are common-ground units?

I don't have the manual but I found one at polksda.com. Any other advice? I heard people modify them but I don't solder.
Post edited by riker1384 on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Pics pics and congrats
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk. Post some pics, and stick around. There is a lot to learn here.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    Options
    cool snag.. did they come with the SDA interconnect cable? if not.. get one. it makes a huge difference in the SDA effect.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • riker1384
    riker1384 Posts: 35
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Holy jeepers, you guys are fast. 3 replies in 3 minutes.

Yes, I have the cable.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Welcome riker1384.

You will be surprised how much bass 2 6.5" woofers and a 12' passive radiator can produce. These are very good speakers especial for the scratch you paid. Make sure you have the interconnect cable to get the most out of them.

Enjoy
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. With those speaks, you're in for a heck of a ride. Soon you'll be wanting to upgrade your cd player, interconnects and speaker cables to make those 2b's? sing.

Be patient and you can get some good deals on the flea market just one door over.