Hard drive noise

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
For the last month my hard drive has been making a high pitched type whine. It would get loud and quite depending on how hard it was working. Now, over the last two days it has gone completely silent, like when it was new. What gives? Is she getting ready to crash on me?
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    I'd definetly start a back-up now if you haven't. Better safe than sorry.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    What Mike said. Doesn't instill confidence.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2007
    Back up now! Start with your most valuable docs, and pics. I do data recovery, and there is nothing worse than listening to a lady crying because her HD failed to the point of no return.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2007
    Sounds like a bearing is going out in your drive - I would consider it temporary from now on and plan to replace it now. (you could keep it in your system as a "D" drive and keep temp files and the windows swap file on it)

It is much easier to move your data from one drive to the other rather than try to restore from backup. (although if you don't have a backup - get on it now....)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited August 2007
    Use Ghost, and do an image of the entire drive to DVD's. When it fails, you will be up in minutes, after getting the new drive installed.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Use Ghost, and do an image of the entire drive to DVD's. When it fails, you will be up in minutes, after getting the new drive installed.

After you back up your important data. Ghost runs continuously, and stresses HD's. Also if you have bad sectors this can cause issues with ghost. Data recovery is one of our specialties.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    After backing it up, give it the "IT tap" which is one quick bang on its side (not top or bottom surface) against a hard surface. Sounds funny but I have done that a lot and it fixes problems (seriously).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2007

Ghost is SOOOO early 2000's :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited August 2007
    That thing is gonna die a horrible, data missing death.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited August 2007
    Ron,
    Backup your data. Run chkdsk /f /r. Defrag. Hopefully, you won't need to replace the drive but if it still makes the same noise after you've scanned the drive for errors and defrag'd it, replace it.
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited August 2007
    your HD is about to give-up the ghost.
    I've been there recently, lost a lot of hard downloaded ****.
    bad day. bad bad day.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2007
    Thanks guys, I'll get something to back it up with. I don't have any type of backup device. I'll get an external HD and go that route then have the main one in my tower replaced.

I'm not very computer savy so I need to find the simple fix.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • blakeh
    blakeh Posts: 491
    edited August 2007
    I second the Acronis True Image suggestion. I've used the program for years and it saved me from at least two separate catastrophic failures (once at home and once at work). It's easy to use and restoring your data is a snap. Much easier than Ghost IMHO.
  • WilliamM2
    edited August 2007
    It's a very good program, it creates a boot-able CD for you, you can create images to local drives, external usb drives, you can create clones, copies, just a single partition and you can re-size partitions too.

It basically does everything that Ghost does. The thing that it does better is it works with external drivers very easily.

I've been using external drives with Ghost for years, never a problem. We have had trouble with Acronis running incredibly slow, or not finding drives at all with certain chipsets. It has been a couple of years since I've used it, maybe it's improved.
  • WilliamM2
    edited August 2007
    Ghost is SOOOO early 2000's

And still works great. No point fxing what ain't broke.
  • WilliamM2
    edited August 2007
    After backing it up, give it the "IT tap" which is one quick bang on its side (not top or bottom surface) against a hard surface.

"IT tap"? Not in my IT department. If it's failing, no point **** with it. Get the data, and replace it. Hard drives are dirt cheap.
  • Systems
    edited August 2007
    And still works great. No point fxing what ain't broke.

Our users pretty much know that important data goes on the server and crap gets tossed. Very few use resources on their local computer. Mails up on the exchange server. If our drives dump, we just slap our XP image back on it (10 minutes) and set up their profile. Back up and running less some favorites :)

Everything else is installed by group policy of various different kinds in active directories.

Ghost has become overly complicated by SATA and new PC's with no floppy and such. I used that program a million times up until really XP came out. It’s kind of odd that I really haven’t had to ever even use it since XP rolled out. Just haven’t needed to.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing