Subwoofer grill: really a problem?

Pantocrator
Pantocrator Posts: 84
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
For my SR124DVC, I ordered the MOMO grill from Sounddomain- after the order was placed, I was informed steadfastly that it would not work- they were incompatable. I did not want to cancel the order, so I let the grill come anyway (all sorts of install materials were part of the order). I opened the package to take a look, and the grill mounts nicely on the sub, and there seems to be enough clearance to let the subwoofer move- at least from the specs on the white paper and such. So my question is: What is the problem with the grill? I have not tried out the sub yet, but I have it and the grill installed in the sub box- everything seems fine. I do not want to break the sub, but it seems that people were overreacting in regards to compatability.
My system (thanks to everybody for the help)
One pair Polk SR6500 comps
One Polk SR124DVC sub
One Pioeer Premier 880PRS HU
One Memphis belle 16MCH1300 amp
Post edited by Pantocrator on

Comments

• Vestax
    Vestax Posts: 31
    edited August 2007
    For my SR124DVC, I ordered the MOMO grill from Sounddomain- after the order was placed, I was informed steadfastly that it would not work- they were incompatable. I did not want to cancel the order, so I let the grill come anyway (all sorts of install materials were part of the order). I opened the package to take a look, and the grill mounts nicely on the sub, and there seems to be enough clearance to let the subwoofer move- at least from the specs on the white paper and such. So my question is: What is the problem with the grill? I have not tried out the sub yet, but I have it and the grill installed in the sub box- everything seems fine. I do not want to break the sub, but it seems that people were overreacting in regards to compatability.

As long as the excursion doesn't hit the grill, I don't see why it would be a problem. You should be fine.
  • Pantocrator
    edited August 2007
    Why have all the "installers"(their rank) told me that I am crazy then? Is there a place on this site that states compatability?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited August 2007
    Well...I got it from two Polk dealers and this forum that the Momo grill didn't have enough clearance to be used with the SR sub. If I remember right, Josh or Thom did some SR subs in a show car and used the db series grills (db6750 for the SR6500s and db124s for the SR124s) stating that reason.

After you get your sub up & running, report back if it works well- I can get a Momo 12" grill over the counter rather than ordering the db212 one through C/S ;).
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    I had older momo subs that would hit the grills, I highly doubt that the SRs will not hit.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Pantocrator
    edited August 2007
    The clearance should be 15mm correct? I believe that if it does hit, I could modify fhte grill with another piece of material, ie wood, so that it does not hit. It seems to have the 15 mm clearance, but I am afraid to try it out.
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited August 2007
    it shouldn't be a huge problem if you test it out, gradually increasing the volume until it does hit. should be pretty minute if it does slap against the grille..i guess only one way to find out
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2007
    I guess you could space it out, but that might look a bit goofy.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    Thom wrote: »
    I guess you could space it out, but that might look a bit goofy.

Agreed. I had luck with dremeling mine out when my old mm12s were hitting it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited August 2007
    I think the SR's would look better without a grill! They are some sexy looking subs.
  • Pantocrator
    edited August 2007
    Well...I got it from two Polk dealers and this forum that the Momo grill didn't have enough clearance to be used with the SR sub. If I remember right, Josh or Thom did some SR subs in a show car and used the db series grills (db6750 for the SR6500s and db124s for the SR124s) stating that reason.

After you get your sub up & running, report back if it works well- I can get a Momo 12" grill over the counter rather than ordering the db212 one through C/S ;).

It does work, BTW. No modifications needed. They were normal MOMO 12 inch sub grilles from Sound domain.
    One Polk SR124DVC sub