The icky food thread

cnjvh
cnjvh Posts: 253
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Balut:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut

:eek:

***sprays "food" vigorously with Lysol***
No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
Front: Polk Audio RTi12
Center: Polk Audio CSi5
Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
AVR: Denon AVR-3805
Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
STB: Xfinity X1DVR
Post edited by cnjvh on

Comments

• cnjvh
    cnjvh Posts: 253
    edited August 2007
    No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
    Front: Polk Audio RTi12
    Center: Polk Audio CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
    Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
    Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
    STB: Xfinity X1DVR
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2007
    travel channel had a couple new shows on exotic food the other night. Alot of coverage was on "stinky tofu". Really nasty stuff. I was at a chinese restaurant in CA with friends once. They ordered stinky tofu at the end of the meal, and just the smell was so bad that I had to leave the table. I can only imagine the stuff they make in China is exponential worse/potent.

wiki
    From a distance, the odor of stinky tofu is said to resemble that of rotten garbage or manure, even by its enthusiasts.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    When I was in the Ecuadorian rain forest, I saw a bowl full of live larvae/grubs passed around. People just dipping in and sucking 'em down. A couple of braver souls in my group went all out... but I just had to pass. These things were twice the size of my big toe.

And I'll eat just about anything. Especially if I've had a few cervesas.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited August 2007
    Come on, Stinky Tofu wouldn't be good unless it stinks up at least the block on which the restaurant is located. Once you get pass the smell, it's actually not bad.

Century Egg is not bad either....some prefer to dip it in sugar before eating it.

But how about Uni, or sea urchin, that is on every menu of Japanese restaurant? That's icky.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    I only eat normal dead cooked animals.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited August 2007
    Tofu in the processing procedure smells like rotting garbage or worse. I have to imagine that this "stinky tofu" is simply unprocessed product.

Years ago I was in the restaurant equipment business and still remember a sales call at a tofu processing plant in Washington, DC. The smell was so revolting that I had to conduct business outside in the parking lot. There's no way I'll never eat the stuff.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
  • Danny Tse
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Kimchi. Fail.

Agree. Yuck!!
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    Agree. Yuck!!

I have a Korean friend who tries to eat it just about every day. I tried it and it tasted worse than it looked, which wasn't good.

Apparently it's one of the healthiest foods around. *shiver*
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited August 2007
    I've eaten fugu sashimi in Tokyo and lived to tell about it :-) Actually, it was quite good. I've yet to (knowingly) eat anything that was still moving, though.

My wife and daughter have both sampled haggis, but I haven't had the opportunity. I'm OK with that.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    To me, liver. Any kind. Has the most wonderful, delicious smell when cooking, but also has the consistency of what I imagine I flush down the toilet would be. Literally.

Last time I tried it, I was ten or so years old and my mom told me to eat my liver. Told her I didn't like it. She told me that if I didn't eat it, I wouldn't get to eat the rest of my meal. I got up to leave. She made me sit back down and eat my liver. When I finally swallowed my first bite, I involuntarily threw up within about a second spattering the table and dad.

She never made me eat liver again.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2007
    I love kimchi. I have a jar of it in my fridge. Otherwise, Korean food is probably my least favorite of the many, many things I've tried in my life.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Danny Tse
    edited August 2007
    I had stir-fry kidneys before. If you think about it, it's quite icky. But it taste pretty good.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    I love kimchi. I have a jar of it in my fridge. Otherwise, Korean food is probably my least favorite of the many, many things I've tried in my life.

Well, Kimchi in a jar is quite a bit different than, uh, "fresh" Kimchi, but it's still gross.

Anyone who eats rotten cabbage is going to natually have rotten ****. ;)
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2007
    I always like to think of it as "pickled" as opposed to rotten...
    What's the name of all those mini communal side dishes served during a traditional Korean meal? Out of ten of 'em, you can bank on at least five of them being suspect. Like curdled milk... or who knows?

I also happen to have a jar of rotten **** in my fridge.
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited August 2007
    Escargo. I had it on a cruise on French food night. They cut them into little square cube, so they did not look like snail at all.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    To me, liver. Any kind. Has the most wonderful, delicious smell when cooking, but also has the consistency of what I imagine I flush down the toilet would be. Literally.

Last time I tried it, I was ten or so years old and my mom told me to eat my liver. Told her I didn't like it. She told me that if I didn't eat it, I wouldn't get to eat the rest of my meal. I got up to leave. She made me sit back down and eat my liver. When I finally swallowed my first bite, I involuntarily threw up within about a second spattering the table and dad.

She never made me eat liver again.

Liver should never be eaten any more cooked than very, very, very, rare or else it does taste and get the consistency of **** as you mentioned above.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    I had stir-fry kidneys before. If you think about it, it's quite icky. But it taste pretty good.

Danny, did it look something like this? I had a karma going back in March where I was asking if anyone could identify what I had cooked!!!

MMMMMmmmmmmm Kidneys!!!!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2007
    Living in Tucson, I've tried menudo, which is basically tripe soup, and being of Scottish descent, I'd be willing try haggis. But the first time I saw lutefisk back home in Seattle, I knew that was somethig I'd never try.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    menudo is yummy... only if made without the pigs feet :eek:

Lutefisk, hell no!!

haggis, no again.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited August 2007
    Can't we just talk about beer and pizza please? This nasty stuff is making my stomach turn :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited August 2007
    Any Arabic or Jewish food. Why do you think those people hate each other? They have no good food over there. Stuffed grape leaves, Kibe, **** made from mutton, dates and olives, goats, yak, sheep eyes and intestines, blood pudding, ox ****, and nasty fish from those waters poluted with human sewage. Who needs that **** in their diet?

Send over some Boton Market and their thousands of years war would be over.
    Carl