New DB6501's

davidsco27
davidsco27 Posts: 2
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just had these installed in my doors (Honda Civic Coupe) and have to say I am underwhelmed by the bass. I have a Sony 52wx4 Head Unit and the bass sounds even weaker than my OEM's that were there before. Is there a "break-in" period with new speakers? Could that be it and they will get better?, or is it possible that something might've been connected wrong by Circuit City or they may need an adjustment of some sort?
Post edited by davidsco27 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2007
    Polk speakers do seem to require a pretty good break in period. After a week or so youll notice them fattening up some. They still wont have as much "bass" as your OEM speakers but you have to think, OEM speakers are designed to compensate for not having a sub. They do this by having more energy in the midbass area. However, due to the low quality of the speakers, this extra energy usually doesnt mean it sounds good. And also, the DB's will have much better high and midrange performance.

The DB's were made to work with a sub but they will work without. Over the next few days theyll start playing midbass with a little more authority. That being said neither the DBs or the OEM speakers will ever give you true sub bass. Theyre just not capable. For that you will need a sub.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Area3
    Area3 Posts: 6
    edited August 2007
    I have The Exact Same Speaker And It has enough bass to satisfy this Audio Engineer!

Just let them Break In!
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited August 2007
    look into deadening your doors cus they really make a big diff in the midbass.

(also you aint using an amp by any chance? might want to check out what the crossover setting is on? and these places over there don't install bass blockers without telling you do they?)

Just had the exact pair of seps installed in my van a few days back and am very pleased with em :). Am using a sub though but when i do turn off the sub and lower the xver on the seps, i still get pretty good bass :).

Here's the post on my new system - http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55782
  • davidsco27
    davidsco27 Posts: 2
    edited August 2007
    I had them install dynamat around it, although the idiots didn't put the door panels on right. The sound is getting a little better