Finally Posting

blakeh
blakeh Posts: 491
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have been lurking here for quite a while, but finally decided to jump in and introduce myself as I'd like to start posting more frequently.

I'm heiney9's brother (but don't hold that against me!). As my older brother, he got me interested in 2-channel audio before I was even in high school. I bought my first real system when I was 20 (12 years ago now) which consisted of an ADCOM GFP-565 amp, an ADCOM GFA-535 amp and some cheap tower speakers. Since then I've upgraded gear when I could afford it and am very happy with my system as it stands.

I got involved in home theater about seven years ago with the advent of DVD, but I'm not nearly as heavily into it as I am 2-channel (my HT and 2-channel systems are completely separate).

Anyway, I've gotten a lot of great information from this forum over the years and I hope to contribute some of my own meager knowledge and/or opinions now and again.

It's nice to discover a helpful, well-run forum.
Post edited by blakeh on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited August 2007
    Welcome,a forum is only as good as the people who are in it.And this forum has some stellar members.As far as being Heiney's bro...well,we may hold it against you.:) None the less,drop an opinion at any time and have fun.You have about 2 days to run for your life,otherwise,you can never leave with your sanity in check.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2007
    Welcome to CP! Your brother is a well respected member here. 2 channel is my drug of choice for sure. H9 has helped me through my audio travels considerable. Ask anything you want but cables:p :D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,162
    edited August 2007
    There goes the neighborhood :) . FYI, for some reason your sig isn't showing.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    who is heiney9??????

welcome, glad your here.

RT1
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    Double your Adcoms.
    Double your fun.

Welcome to the Forum amigo!
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • blakeh
    edited August 2007
    H9: I'm not sure why my sig isn't showing. I have it setup. Strange.

EDIT: Nevermind!
  • heiney9
    edited August 2007
    Double your Adcoms.
    Double your fun.

Welcome to the Forum amigo!

He got rid of that Adcom crap :D:p and now has a better set-up than I do with the new Monarchy stuff (NM24 and SM70 Pro's).

H9

P.S. Ted, after PF '07 you'll not soon forget the name Heiney9 :D;)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

whatta you mean I see Adcom all over that Sig.

Rock on brothers.

RT1
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2007
    Ah.... I don't know why I couldn't put two and two together on this one.

Blakeh... there's many a day when I miss my SM70-Pro. I have yet to hear an amp quite like it. And I never got a chance to pick up another one for mono duty.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • blakeh
    edited August 2007
    I have yet to hear an amp quite like it.

Mine are still in their "break in" period with about 25 hours on them. I sold an ADCOM GFA-585 and replaced it with the SM-70 PROs. I was a little worried that I would miss the wattage, but I could tell the first time I turned them on that I wouldn't have any desire to go back (although that ADCOM served me well for many years).
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2007
    Exactly...
    I replaced a 130 wpc Rotel 980 with the Monarchy's 35 Class A watts, and didn't miss a beat power-wise.

In fact, I was using it to power some 4 Ohm 87db Totem Arros, and it never once struggled or sweated profusely. I can only imagine what two of 'em would've pulled from those speaks.

Memories.
    Of the way we were......
  • heiney9
    edited August 2007
    In fact, I was using it to power some 4 Ohm 87db Totem Arros, and it never once struggled or sweated profusely. I can only imagine what two of 'em would've pulled from those speaks.

Memories.
    Of the way we were......

So do you think in your personal experience that a single SM70-Pro would run my SDA 1C's to decent levels? I can't get the mono's because of the common ground issue and I'm not making a AI-1 cable because the original SDA terminal on the 1C's has been altered to accept a bannana plug. Too much trouble to fabricate a new terminal plus fabricating the AI-1 cable.

H9
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2007
    Awesome another member with a SB3+DAC as a source, and one with a nice PC system to boot. Welcome.

P.S. My sig is very outdated, I currently have a SB3 + Paradisea DAC as a source. Great little devices with FLAC files, sounds great and so easy to access everything.
  • blakeh
    edited August 2007
    I've had nothing but good experiences with all of Monarchy's equipment. I like the fact that I can email CC Poon a question (whether it be a simple hook-up question or a more complex technical question) and he gets right back to me. You can really tell he's interested in making great sounding gear.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    blakeh wrote: »
    I'm heiney9's brother (but don't hold that against me!).

Didn't we banish him from the face of the earth years ago? Oh, thats right, we only talked about it. :D

Welcome!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2007
    H9--
    In a medium to small-sized room, I'd say you shouldn't have any problems. I'm not completely sure of the 1c's spec-wise, but the Arros were nasty lil' buggers to drive. In fact, I felt the 980 was falling a bit short, and was leaning toward getting a Rotel 990 -- but Zero pointed me in the direction of the Monarchy.

And the rest is history.
  • blakeh
    edited August 2007
    SB3+DAC as a source

I bought an SB2 about 18 months ago, and I never wanted to pop another CD into a player again. I just recently upgrade to the SB3 (the form factor fit better with my system). It really helped me enjoy music again because I wasn't constantly searching for CDs.

With the advent of programs that allow you to rip bit-perfect CDs into FLAC files, I saw no reason to fuss with CDs any longer.

As far as the computer system is concerned, it took me a long time to figure out exactly how to output FLAC files via toslink cable without XP's kmixer messing with them. I finally experienced success when I saw the GDA-700's HDCD light turn on when I played a FLAC file that was ripped from an HDCD disc.

I'd love to chat more about your setup.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2007
    H9--
    In a medium to small-sized room, I'd say you shouldn't have any problems. I'm not completely sure of the 1c's spec-wise, but the Arros were nasty lil' buggers to drive. In fact, I felt the 980 was falling a bit short, and was leaning toward getting a Rotel 990 -- but Zero pointed me in the direction of the Monarchy.

And the rest is history.

My room is medium but I have the 1C's on the long wall and I sit about 6 feet across from them. I don't listen at insane levels but I do like a pretty dynamic sound. Microdynamics are important because I tend to listen towards the lower end of the vol. dial. I'd say if the ran Arros they should run the SDA's but the SDA's at certain freq. can get nasty too.

Oh well blakeh said I could demo one of the amps and the NM24 as soon as he gets tired of it.................that may be a while.

H9
  • blakeh
    edited August 2007
    that may be a while.

A looooooooooooooooong while! :)

But, you can certainly borrow them on a weekend that I'm out of town.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2007
    Maybe he'll come off of one sooner than later. That's what bros are for. In fact, I think I'll go pay a visit to mine tonight.

Later gents and nice to meet ya blakeh.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Welcome Blakeh.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    Welcome. Nice to see people become active.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2007
    Well it's about time you joined the forum :) Welcome!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited August 2007
    Hey Heiny9,

Just don't think we will cut you any slack because we like and respect your brother.:D
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited August 2007
    Just the fact you're his brother should begin your post count in the negatives.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    Welcome to the forum.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2007
    Welcome, Sorry to say but your brother is a Adcom Holy man. LOL

Are you going to Polkfest as his safe driver. LOL
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited August 2007
    Welcome, Blake!

Are you local? I hope you're nuthin' like your bro running around calling people asshats and just being a general nuisance:eek: :D Please do not put anything up for sale for a little while either;)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    Blake any Brother of Brock is a Brother of mine. . . welcome. . . to many BBBBBBBBBBS.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited August 2007
    Welcome!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2