Refurbishing Polk SDA SRS 1.2's

Options
gdsk39a
gdsk39a Posts: 28
edited July 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I am ordering all new 6503 and 6511 drivers to install into my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's from Polk. Also ordering 8 tweeters from them. What are these silk tweeters folks are talking about? I noticed when I took one of the tweeters out there are no polarity marking on the tweeter did I miss it when I looked?

Any idea where to get new updagraded crossover boxes for the SDA SRS 1.2's?

Love these speakers.
Post edited by gdsk39a on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited July 2007
    Options
    gdsk39a wrote: »
    I am ordering all new 6503 and 6511 drivers to install into my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's from Polk. Also ordering 8 tweeters from them. What are these silk tweeters folks are talking about? I noticed when I took one of the tweeters out there are no polarity marking on the tweeter did I miss it when I looked?

Any idea where to get new updagraded crossover boxes for the SDA SRS 1.2's?

Love these speakers.

Welcome back to Club Polk. You are not alone in your love of SDA's. I am assuming you have SRS 1.2TL's? The new silk dome replacement tweeters that replace the original sl3000 are part #RD0198-1. They are a much smoother nicer sounding tweeter. Polk will not be producing new MW6511 drivers until late September so you'll have to wait on those. Are you having issues with the drivers?

The complete x-overs are no longer available but the hot ticket is to order Sonic Caps from www.soniccraft.com along with Mills resistors and rebuld the x-over network. Pics and step by step instructions can be found here in several thread about x-over refreshing or rebuilding. Replacing the tweets and doing the x-over rebuild transforms the speakers and makes them sound even better.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions as there are a lot of very nice and very knowledgeable people here. Also when you call Polk customer service tell them you are a CP member and you will get a discount as well as a free 2 day shipping on tweets and drivers.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!