Alpine iDA-X001 ??

Jack from Indo
Jack from Indo Posts: 109
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alpine iDA-X001

This IPod dedicated HU claims to:

"also receives pure digital music information right from the iPod and sends it through the iDA-X001’s built-in 24-Bit digital sound converter. This ensures you get your music playback in its best sound and purist form. Hear the difference playing iTunes® lossless AAC files."

Is this true? I didn't think you COULD bypass the internal DA converter, as they claim. That's why there are 3rd party companies offering to open up and rewire your Ipod so you can bypass it. And, does their claim only apply to using ACC files? Or MP3 also? If what they are saying is true, then I want this thing!

Anybody know? (P by D, you outta know this, no?)
Post edited by Jack from Indo on

Comments

• howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited July 2007
    The USB connection doesn't use the DA on the iPod. If it did it would need to then send it through a AD converter to get it back to digital for transport over USB. Going from Digital to Analog then back to Digital would make no sense plus be a cost add for the AD converter. It is only the serial connection you have to use the DA in the iPod. This would have been available a long time ago if it wasn't for DRM issues.

H
  • Jack from Indo
    edited July 2007
    Howie777, the way I understand it, the USB input is for non-ipod sources, like a thumb drive. Whereas when you use the ipod, it has it's own separate input via the supplied cable. Therefore, I'm still confused. Please advise.
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited July 2007
    It is USB, just a different connector (ie, USB is 4 wire, then throw in the charging power/ground and then there may be some other stuff as well). But it is still USB for the audio just a different shell.

Howie
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2007
    The x001 has two ways to connect ipods. The "full speed control" with a 422 cable (this is the only way to connect earlier than 5th gen. ipods), like other Alpine head units. It also has a USB input on the back of the head unit, and they give you a cable to hook up to the 5th gen ipods. I've heard that some hard drives will work as well. I've had the head unit for a month and a half (or so), and I like it. There's a few things I had to get used to (no 1- 6 numbers for radio presets, see- saw volume knob) but once I got used to it I really like it. Almost every song on my ipod was from a CD and are AAC (lossless) files and they sound great. I've heard other guys say that even compressed files sound better than before, so some guys think so. It's a relatively cheap piece and if you find yourself listening to your ipod all the time it's worth it.
  • Jack from Indo
    edited July 2007
    OK, and I don't have to have the files on my ipod stored in the separate Hard disk section of it, correct? I can load them up as per normal usage?

I got mostly MP3 but nearly all ripped at 360.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2007
    The x001 will do all the searches that your ipod does- playlist, artist, album, song, etc. Searching is super quick, album artwork displays on the screen, this is the head unit to have if you have a 5th gen ipod.
  • Jack from Indo
    edited August 2007
    Two more questions:

1. Preouts are only 2v on this thing. I already got audible amp noise with the 4v Pioneer I am using now, which is tolerable, but if I turn up gains any further it is too loud. Im afraid this will happen to me with the X001

2. Once the Ipod is hooked up, you cant use the ipod screen itself anymore, can you? I prefer fiddling with my Ipod that way, cause I can hold it right up to my face rather than glance over at the HU.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2007
    No, the Alpine takes over total control.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited August 2007
    As far as the preouts go, u can get a signal amplifier which will increase it to a range of 5v-9v, i forget the correct terminology of the device, someone help me out here.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2007
    line driver...
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz