SDA in a car

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I couldve sworn there was a thread about this already but I couldnt find it in a search so Ill just start a new one.

I know Im not the first person to think about this but is there a way to do SDA in a car for SQ competition?

I realize it would be nearly impossible for 2 seat listening, but what about single seat listening?

Im mean any car with a 15' wide soundstage would probably do pretty well at finals. ;)
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited July 2007
    CRSs in the back window???
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Polk made an SDA crossover for car audio, I think Hoosier21 or Madmax might still have one stashed away.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited July 2007
    Yep, we sold a few of them in the day. Not real popular unless you were really into the SDA home speakers at the time. At one of our competitions (actually a meet and greet sales promo) one of the reps from Polk showed up in a Caddy (remember this was 1986-1987) filled to the brim with the latest Polk products including a full blown car audio SDA set-up. I remember thinking how cool it sounded, but a bit impractical. I see them on e-bay once in a great while. Wild times back then being just 20-21 years old and around all that cool gear.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,409
    edited July 2007
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    Thats kinda what I was thinkning about but I was thinking more of width as opposed to depth.

In SQ competitions, the stage has to be completley in front of you and as wide as possible, just as in a live performance. The thing I remember most about the SRT demo at Polkfest '05 was the stage was about 10' wider than the room!!! I wonder if that would be possible in a car.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2007
    Its always "possible", but extremely impractical. For someone like us, its too much of a hassle to try to predict every car out there with every location for speakers, or come up with equations to predict all of that. We could always tell you how it works so you could use it on your car, but we'd have to kill you right after telling you.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    In SQ competitions, the stage has to be completley in front of you and as wide as possible, just as in a live performance.

What if you have rear room sound perception (you think you hear it but have no drivers back there) like a live performance in a hall or a really good 2 channel system, are you disqualified?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2007
    You wont be disqualified but youll take a big hit in the points if its too much.

A little ambience is great if it gives a feel of a larger environment, just like in a performance hall - but if you get too much ambience to the point where you cant locate the image and/or it sounds like its coming from everywhere youll get docked pretty heavily.

Imaging counts for 40 of the 100 point scale in MECA so if you screw up the imaging, it hurts.
    bknauss wrote: »
    Its always "possible", but extremely impractical. For someone like us, its too much of a hassle to try to predict every car out there with every location for speakers, or come up with equations to predict all of that. We could always tell you how it works so you could use it on your car, but we'd have to kill you right after telling you.

It would almost be worth it to have a stage 15 feet wide inside a car! :D