Venting....

apc
apc Posts: 779
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
A large part of our town got hail damage last year. Insurance co said cost per square by the roofing contractors was increased to max out profits when thousands of homes need work. Best to hold off if no leaks at the time they said. Sucked, but we held out for over a year.

Got a helluva rain recently and the roof leaked inside. Time to replace, so I'm getting fresh estimates. Must settle with insurance co, who didn't offer enough to cover the least expensive of the estimates we had. Just got a new bid and the blasted thing went up over $3K. :mad: We were floored - thought it would go down! Can't wait to see the rest of 'em. Light at the end of this tunnel may be a train...
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    Cost of everything has gone way up recently...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2007
    insurance should at least cover the least expenisve bid/estimate. fight it.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Cost of everything has gone way up recently...
    madmax

Ya, they say theres no inflation, try doing something to your house. I "completed" my bonus room in my last house aobut 6 years ago and Im doing my basement now, crap is 2 to 3 times more expensive now.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    Well, it costs WAY more to do a basement in a $400K house than it did a few years ago in a $100K house. (same house, ha ha)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited July 2007
    Did you already settle with the ins co? If not read your policy very closely then fight whatever they try to pull otherwise. I had to get a new roof after hurricane Ivan and my ins covered the lowest bid. However they only paid 50% up front until I could prove that the job had been completed. That sucked, but I did get a nice new roof in the end.

bamadude
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Well, it costs WAY more to do a basement in a $400K house than it did a few years ago in a $100K house. (same house, ha ha)
    madmax

HAHAHA! True, well, the true diff was that that house was a $135K new house 10 years ago and the current one is a $400K house from 2 years ago. So you are basically right any ways lol!!!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2007
    At least you have a snazzy XM tuner on order :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.