Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2007
    Van Halen.......of course, I am a Van Halen fan, so I have to disclose that.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited July 2007
    There's something about seeing the Who play it that just says it all but man...I could listen to Eddie and the boys in a setting like that non stop! Both are great...
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Halen!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2007
    Love the Van Halen version, especially that scream by Sammy towards the end, but I think that particular version done by the Who at the Concert for New York rocks big time. It was easily THE highlight of the entire concert.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2007
    VH aint diddly compared to Daltry, Townsend, Entwistle & Moon (may he rest in peace)!!!

Those guys are decrepit and they still kick booty!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2007
    Give me the Who version anyday, too me there are just some songs that weren't meant to be covered. Of course that may have something to do with being a Who fan before Van Halen was around.

And I like Van Halen/Haggar.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited July 2007
    Love Who but gotta go with Halen on this one.
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Van Halen all the way! Especially with Roth! Sammy did a great job of fronting and is one of the all time greatest rockers but Roth just rules. Kinda like Steve Vai - there just aint no one better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BottomFeeder
    edited July 2007
    Arg! Must be an age thing! I grew up w/VH - they were originally called "Mammoth" and they were everyone's favorite backyard band - except mine. I couldn't stand 'em. I thought they were just a bunch of prancing, screeching, full of themselves, I-can-play-fast-but-I'm-just-showing-off whackos.

Show's you what I know...
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited July 2007
    I would go with the Who, but then, I have never been able to stand Haggar's voice. Ruined a good band by joining VH.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited July 2007
    The Who - Maximum R&B
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    I would go with the Who, but then, I have never been able to stand Haggar's voice.
    Agreed.:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2007
    In comparing bands, how much of their music is still played today regularly and holds up to the test of time.

The Who, PERIOD! They pushed rock and roll, as Time magazine had it on their cover, "The Who: Rock's Outer Limit". Respectfully, VH only played it very well. Townshend's lyric's (read them sometime, amazing), Daltry's voice, Entwistle's commanding bass, and Moon's schizophrenic drumming. They truly mastered so many different styles of rock.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited August 2007
    The Who.

Points have to be deducted, though, for such Who tunes as "Momma's Got a SqueezeBox". Gawd, that was awful.

VH lost on this vote, but Eddie Van Halen still makes the grade as a guitar player with serious skills. Awesome.
    Sal Palooza
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited August 2007
    It's hard to beat the Who's version of that song. IMHO, if you can't do a cover at least as good or better, then why do it at all. :cool: by VH's standards, that was kinda lame. I couldn't even listen to it all the way through. But then again, I've never been a huge fan of VH v.Hagar anyway.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited August 2007
    I'll have to take The Who, love VH but it's not as good
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    The Who. Like Jesse said, MAX R & B. Plus, Moon was stone out of his mind long before it was cool.

Probably the greatest live album of all-time, "Live at Leeds"

I am not a real big Who fan. Hated "Tommy".

The Stones, Hendrix, Cream, The Who. These guys all laid the groundwork a long time ago.
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited August 2007
    VH aint diddly compared to Daltry, Townsend, Entwistle & Moon (may he rest in peace)!!!
    dont you mean "they"?
    a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited August 2007
    Probably the greatest live album of all-time, "Live at Leeds"

No doubt! If that recording doesn't make your blood flow, you're dead.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BottomFeeder
    edited August 2007
    honda cber wrote: »
    dont you mean "they"?
    a

Oh yeah, Entwistle's gone as well. Rip!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited August 2007
    Even though it's not the seminal version, the "Won't Get Fooled Again" performed by the Who for Jeff Stein's documentary The Kids Are Alright captures their live Gestalt very well. Ironically, it was Moon's very last performance. On the DVD version of the movie, there's an isolated "Entwistle-cam" which is astonishing to watch.

The most interesting thing about the 'OO, for me, was (note the past tense) that they turned the rock quartet "paradigm" inside-out. Townshend provided the rhythmic basis for their music via guitar (and, on recordings, via synthesizer). Entwistle and Moon (bass and drums) played melody, not rhythm. AFAIK no one else ever did this in the R&R idiom.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2007
    Being a drummer I love both bands. But I have to go with VH. I think they grew more with every album the released.

Alex is also the reason I started playing. Found out about Moon years later.

Listen to Alex on the Balance album. It isn't bombastic like Moon but the intricacy of his playing is awe inspiring.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2007
    Van Hagar bites.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    Van Halen was a bunch or rock and roll STARS. The Who was a bunch of rock and roll musicians.

Todays aircraft are infinitely better than the Wright Flyer, but they wouldn't be there without Wilbur and Orville. You listen to Alex, there's a hundred drummer/percussionists I'd rather get an earful of. Neil Peart isn't one of them.