too much power for the mmc6500's?

csnut18
csnut18 Posts: 48
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, I was wondering if a c400.4 bridged would be sending too much power to a pair of mmc6500's up front. That is giving them a minimum of 200 watts a piece(probably much more than that as my birthsheet showed the amp far surpassed it's ratings) while the are rated at an rms of 125 watts? Would I fry them?
Post edited by csnut18 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited July 2007
    do u already have that amp?
    a MTX TE1004 is a perfect match for those components.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    csnut18 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was wondering if a c400.4 bridged would be sending too much power to a pair of mmc6500's up front. That is giving them a minimum of 200 watts a piece(probably much more than that as my birthsheet showed the amp far surpassed it's ratings) while the are rated at an rms of 125 watts? Would I fry them?

The question is would you fry them. More power properly used is not dangerous to speakers. If you hear distortion turn them down! Dirty power kill tweeters.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • csnut18
    edited July 2007
    I already have the c400.4. I currently have the mmc6500's wired to the front 2 channels with a pair of mmc650's using the amp's rear channels. This setup is in a Acura RSX Type S. I quickly realized that I do not need the mmc650's amped as it is bringing the soundstage to the rear in this small car if I use these speakers to their full capability. My plan was to use the entire 4 channel amp to run just the fron components with the rears running off the HU. It's just a matter of how I will use the 4 channel amp to run the fronts, do I bridge them to over 200 watts apiece or do I run them active with or without the included passive crossovers.
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    I already have the c400.4. I currently have the mmc6500's wired to the front 2 channels with a pair of mmc650's using the amp's rear channels. This setup is in a Acura RSX Type S. I quickly realized that I do not need the mmc650's amped as it is bringing the soundstage to the rear in this small car if I use these speakers to their full capability. My plan was to use the entire 4 channel amp to run just the fron components with the rears running off the HU. It's just a matter of how I will use the 4 channel amp to run the fronts, do I bridge them to over 200 watts apiece or do I run them active with or without the included passive crossovers.

If you are happy with your fronts now just use the fader. HU's just don't deliver.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • csnut18
    edited July 2007
    Thats the point, I am not happy with the front now. I feel that the speakers want more than the 89 watts I am feeding them now. The rear speakers are just not needed in a acura rsx. Running them off the hu will be fine. With my front sounstage all powered up I think it will be way better.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    If youve decided not to bi-amp then go ahead and bridge the amps.

The reason I dont like doing this is cause youre pushing your amp at 100% all the time. Distortion increases as well.

Plus, this thing makes more than 200 watts per channel when bridged so be VERY careful with your gains and volume or you will fry the speakers.

Dirty power has nothing to do with frying speakers. OVERPOWERING speakers is the only way to kill them. You can play 20 watts of pure distortion thru your speakers but itll never overheat them enough or overdrive their suspension to hurt them. Now you throw 300 watts of pure clean power thru them for an extended period and they will fry.

Thats not to say to ignore distortion, its a good warning sign. Its telling you that youre pushing your speakers too hard, but its not the distortion itself that is hurting them. Think of a gun. If I shoot you, did the bullet kill you or the BANG?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • csnut18
    edited July 2007
    I made the decision to biamp. I am not bridging the amp because 200+ watts is too much for these speaks. Anyhow, I am going to biamp the mmc6500 without the passive crossover.
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    I made the decision to biamp. I am not bridging the amp because 200+ watts is too much for these speaks. Anyhow, I am going to biamp the mmc6500 without the passive crossover.

I eagerly await your review of the bi amp config.
    Enjoy
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Kenji_lim
    Kenji_lim Posts: 56
    edited July 2007
    it not a good choice if u did't put ur crossover..the sound will be so mass..and could fry ur tweeter..as well
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    The C400.4 amp has a very good and variable crossover network on it. He can set it to the same frequencies as the passive unit and his tweeters will be fine.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • csnut18
    edited July 2007
    Hold on Mcleod, can't I just use the Pre-eq button on the c400.4 because I am biamping mmc6500's which are designed to run with it? I was under the impression that I should go that route but now you are saying that I have to set the crossovers?
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2007
    Not at all.

The Pre-EQ button is precisely for bi-amping the MMC6500's. Push it and the crossovers automatically set to their specific level.

However, if you choose to do some tweaking, you can switch the Pre-EQ off and set the crossovers yourself for some fine tuning. But this is totally optional.

• killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited August 2007
    i like to run bigger amps and detune them using my output level controls and the gains. this seems to give me excellent headroom and my amp does not work so hard and it will not clip. i detuned my carver amp from 120w x 4 to 100w for the mids and 30w for the tweets. this works great! my u.s. amps tu-4360 is coming back from zed audio and im going to do the same with it.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage