Advice please.

millerman 3732
millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Here is my problem, I finally sold the Samsung blu-ray player that I've had for sale to a guy on another forum, When I shipped it every thing

worked fine and I did every thing that the buyer asked me to do I took pictures of the player, I took pictures of screen shots I did everything I

could to show him that the player was working and in pretty good shape, Now I shipped it out thurday via USPS , his choice, and uninsured,

also his choice, I wanted to use UPS and I sent him a qoute of $17 shipped and insured , he said no that he wanted it shipped USPS at a cost

of $16.55 because they would deliver on saturday and with no insurance I tell him its up to him. Okay he says it arrived yesterday and when

he got it he said he turned it on and the player said load on the display, which is normal, then he said that the player said this disc cannot be

played which is weird because there shouldn't be a disc in the player, I know I didn't leave one in it, then he said that the tray would not

open. So this morning I called Samsung CS and the guy I talked to there said in his opinion the only way that the tray would stick is from

physical damage since the player does not have an internal lock to keep it from opening, Now this had to have happened during shipping

because the player worked fine before I shipped it. What should I do, Give him his money back? Tell him that he should have insured it and

forget about it? What I'm thinking is since he chose not to insure it is that I'll give him back half his money and keep the rest to get the player

fixed which should almost cover it. Someone please let me know what you think. Oh and I also gave him two BD movies for $10.
Casey
H/T: Epson 6500ub
Sony UBP-X800
Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
Outlaw 7125
Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
Polk RTi6
SVS PB 12 plus/2
Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
Post edited by millerman 3732 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    He/She choose not to have it insured? I won't ship without insurance. I have never dealt with you, but if others have they should chime in with support. Me, I would not eat it if I had been told not to pay the $3-5 for insurance.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2007
    Not getting insurance is just plain stupid. I repeat, stupid. Think about how well you packaged the item and then make a decision. No way would I be eating hlaf the cost. Do you have the e-mails to support no insurance?
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • millerman 3732
    edited July 2007
    I have th PM's he sent me at the forum. This is one.

According to USPS' online system and your report of 15lbs from Videogon, the cost will be $15.90 + $.65 for delivery confirmation making it $16.55. I'm pretty eager to get this (if you couldn't tell). Would it be possible that I send the money tonight ($282 as we agreed) and if USPS Priority costs anymore, I'll send the difference? I don't need insurance, but if you'd like to get it (for your own peace of mind), that's fine. From what the pics look like, the player was packaged well - assuming you'll be repacking it in the brown Samsung box. One comment - judging from your shot of Pirates 2, Iamb assuming you've gotten the Pirates flicks to play on your unit? I read reports of the discs having trouble on the standalones - they play fine on my PS3. I'll be getting my friend's address that you'll be sending the player to tonight. He lives on the other side of the dividing road in my city, so he's zipcode 44136. Exact same shipping charge according to USPS' website. I'd appreciate if you'd be able to send out tomorrow. Thanks much!
    Casey
    Sony UBP-X800
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2007
    If he refused insurance then HE SHOULD EAT IT. Sorry about using caps but if you offered and he refused then it is his problem. Ask the people on the other forum the same thing your asking this forum.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited July 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    If he refused insurance then HE SHOULD EAT IT. Sorry about using caps but if you offered and he refused then it is his problem. Ask the people on the other forum the same thing your asking this forum.

I'm probably wrong, and i've had a few drinks so i'm *really* probably wrong, but something seems fishy to me. Doesn't want insurance, not shipping to his own address, and then claims a bad unit. I don't know, since you have his money, but...

In any case, if it were me i'd have him ship the unit back (at his expense or split the cost) and then after verifying the serial # and condition refund his money. Get if fixed and then try again. Did I mention i've had a couple drinks, so you probably shouldn't listen to me :)
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2007
    engtaz wrote: »

Good advice.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    You offered to ship with insurance, he refused that option, choosing another one without insurance. His choices, his risk, his loss.
  • millerman 3732
    edited July 2007
    I just sent him a PM telling that the best I could do is have him send me back the player and after I've compared it the the photoes that I have of it and it is not damaged and the SN match up I would send him back half his money and use the other half to repair the player.
    Casey
    Sony UBP-X800
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

• ben62670
    edited July 2007
    I just sent him a PM telling that the best I could do is have him send me back the player and after I've compared it the the photoes that I have of it and it is not damaged and the SN match up I would send him back half his money and use the other half to repair the player.

Screw that. Too cheap to spend $3-5 on insurance? Sounds like BS to me(Bad situation). I never ship anything without insurance. I wouldn't eat it.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't pay him anything, you're being too nice.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • janmike
    edited July 2007

It will be interesting to see if he/she will send it back. I think you did the right thing. The insurance thing still is extremely bewildering. Make sure he sends it back with insurance.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • millerman 3732
    edited July 2007
    Just talked on the phone with him, he seemed really nice, and he decide to go ahead and keep the player and have it repaired himself since it was him that decided not to insure it so it all worked out okay.
    Casey
    Sony UBP-X800
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

• ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Thats cool. Its good to hear of good, not evil once in a while. Will you insure from now on?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • janmike
    edited July 2007
    Glad it all worked out Casey.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2007
    Good to hear. Too many thinks get damaged shipping.

What do you think? (parcel carriers previous jobs were sanitation engineers, maybe a pre rec for the job app.)
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.