Silver Speaker Cables Anyone?

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Has anyone ever heard or owned a pair of speaker cables with pure silver conductors? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it. Some folks believe that silver sounds better than copper for interconnects, so I'm wondering if that's the case for speaker cables, too.

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Silver is a better conductor than copper but Im not sure it would sound better. Using a copper speaker wire of appopriate size would perform well enough that the benefits from silver wouldnt be worth and Id wager you wouldnt even notice them. I believe there is a point that while you can continue to improve, youre way passed the point of being noticed. Like distortion. .004% is better than .4% but since you cant hear anything below 1% anyway, is it really that much better?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Silver is a better conductor than copper but Im not sure it would sound better. Using a copper speaker wire of appopriate size would perform well enough that the benefits from silver wouldnt be worth and Id wager you wouldnt even notice them. I believe there is a point that while you can continue to improve, youre way passed the point of being noticed. Like distortion. .004% is better than .4% but since you cant hear anything below 1% anyway, is it really that much better?

This reponse belongs in a different thread because it's not relevant to my question, especially if you've never heard a pair of pure silver speaker cables.

FWIW -- I have three pair of silver interconnects and prefer them to copper ones I've tried in the same price range, so that's partly why I'm asking the question.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Every silver speaker cable I've heard has a 'hard' edge to it. Some may see it as detailed and accurate, but it ended up as fatigue for me.

That being said, on the interconnect side, I'm a BIG fan of Frank Dai's Silver Resolution cables.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Every silver speaker cable I've heard has a 'hard' edge to it. Some may see it as detailed and accurate, but it ended up as fatigue for me.

Thanks, Russ. Those comments are helpful.

I really like the "detailed and accurate" sound of my silver interconnects, but by adding silver speaker cables, it could end up being too much of a good thing.

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    This reponse belongs in a different thread because it's not relevant to my question, especially if you've never heard a pair of pure silver speaker cables.

Oh give me a f**king break.

You asked for thoughts on silver vs copper speaker wires. I gave you mine. How is that not relevant??!?!!

I give up. Its bad enough comments other than "congrats" arent welcome in discussion threads but now apparantly theyre not even welcome in threads WHERE THEYRE SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Oh give me a f**king break.

You asked for thoughts on silver vs copper speaker wires. I gave you mine. How is that not relevant??!?!!

I give up. Its bad enough comments other than "congrats" arent welcome in discussion threads but now apparantly theyre not even welcome in threads WHERE THEYRE SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR!

You must have a reading comprehension problem. I did not ask for your thoughts on silver vs. copper wires. Re-read the first sentence in the first post very slowly. If that question doesn't apply to you, then don't try and answer it.

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    Some folks believe that silver sounds better than copper for interconnects, so I'm wondering if that's the case for speaker cables, too.

:confused::confused:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    The problem with a lot of these threads is that people respond to questions and they don't have a clue what they're talking about because they have no direct experience. That's why I was very specific in my first sentence so I could limit the responses accordingly.

I don't give a damn about the technical merits of silver vs. copper. That statement has no basis whatsoever on someone's direct listening experience. MacLeod is only talking about what he's read, not his own experiences which is clearly what I'm asking. Even the third sentence refers to personal experience. If I wanted to understand the metallurgical distinctions between copper and silver, I'd go read a book, not ask about it in the Polk Forum.

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    The problem with a lot of these threads is that people respond to questions and they don't have a clue what they're talking about because they have no direct experience. That's why I was very specific in my first sentence so I could limit the responses accordingly.

I don't give a damn about the technical merits of silver vs. copper. That statement has no basis whatsoever on someone's direct listening experience. MacLeod is only talking about what he's read, not his own experiences which is clearly what I'm asking. Even the third sentence refers to personal experience. If I wanted to understand the metallurgical distinctions between copper and silver, I'd go read a book, not ask about it in the Polk Forum.

Ahhhhh. Gotcha
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    Geez early did someone piss in your Cheerios this morning. I guess I won't post that I like silver ICs as opposed to copper. I don't want to upset you too. But I would like to fallow your thread if thats OK. I too would love to hear comments on owners or silver speaker wires.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007
    I can't hold it any longer...

Which is a better religion, Catholic or Protestant?

Anyway, I currently use a copper/silver core speaker wire. I use to use just copper, and my ears haven't noticed a difference. I sure hope you don't either, silver is quit expensive.

Mike
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited July 2007
    I have found useing silver I/C's and copper speaker cables yielded excellant results.Silver is way faster with more bass slam to it.But Russ is on the money about an edge on the higher end.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2007
    I am using DIY silver plated copper 10ga. Sounds fine to me. It was available very cheap so I used it. Guess I could paint my name on them and call them uber expensive designer cables. But I am not. They are just speaker wires to me. Hope this helps.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited July 2007
    I was going to answer, but now a little scared :eek:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    I think Early jumped the gun a little on Mac, but I understand with all the thread crapping going on in his other thread.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2007
    I think Early jumped the gun a little on Mac, but I understand with all the thread crapping going on in his other thread.

guess I'll check the other thread before recomending valium with a percosset chaser for Early.........eeesh :p
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007

You're right. My apologies to Mac for my comments.

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    I can't hold it any longer...

Which is a better religion, Catholic or Protestant?

Anyway, I currently use a copper/silver core speaker wire. I use to use just copper, and my ears haven't noticed a difference. I sure hope you don't either, silver is quit expensive.

Mike

They are the same religion, Christianity. Duh.

I'm debating myself whether to go with Frank's silver speaker cable, or his regular cable. I've pretty much decided to go with signalcable regardless though. I've had good experience with Frank on an Innerconnect purchase.

- Ron