Planning install in 2000 Acura TL

Falstaff
Falstaff Posts: 7
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to replace all parts of the factory sound in my 2000 Acura TL. This will be my first use of an external amp and subwoofer, so I'm trying to get everything planned out before I start. I am going for SQ more than SPL. I listen to a mix of music, but not a lot of heavy bass line stuff.

The plan so far:
Fronts: SR5250, tweeters in typical door mounted spot (level with door handle)
Rears: No sound for them!
Amp: 400.4 bi-amping the fronts. I understand from other posts that you should keep the crossovers when using sr speakers.

Sub: SR 104, with a small enclosure.
Sub Amp: C500.1

Head Unit: Still debating.

Some questions I have are:

1. I know some people have mounted the 6500s in a TL. Was it difficult?

2. Where the heck to I put those big crossovers? Can they go in the trunk or do they have to fit inside the door?

3. I don't need the bone-liquifying bass that some of you guys can make (no offense, I'm old.) Is the subwoofer/amp combo good for classical and vocal music? Should I get a remote control for the amp? You probably don't get many posts from people who are afraid they'll have *too much* bass!

4. Do I remove the stock "subwoofer" to make a hole to the trunk? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm hoping to try to match the sound of the Polk lsi-15 speaker in my car, if that is at all possible.
Post edited by Falstaff on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited July 2007
    Crossover location is wherever u want to be honset, i like under the driver and pass seat because u usualy will have a wiring harness under them where the carpet has holes already for it, not need to cut anything and they are hidding out of site but accessable when u need to change the settings. Yes, u use a bit more wiring, but it is worth it. I know its the polk forums, but i recomend MTX amps, the thunder elite series is amazing, im not just saying that because of have it either.

Headunit, ive been saying it to everyone the last week or so, Alpine 9885 or 9887
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Falstaff
    Falstaff Posts: 7
    edited July 2007
    Thanks. I was worried that the crossovers had to be near the speakers. Thanks for the tip on the amps, I'll look into them.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    The only benefit of crossovers close to speakers is it saves you from having 2 strands of speaker wire going all the way across your car.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it