Using different amps for biamping component woofer and tweeter?

monologuist
monologuist Posts: 40
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
What do you guys think of mixing different amp models between woofer and tweeter on components? For instance biamp some SR-6500's with a couple channels of Alpine PDX Class D on the woofers and couple channels of a class A/B amp for the tweeters?
Post edited by monologuist on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Dont guess it would really matter much so long as the levels are matched.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited July 2007
    i agree.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • monologuist
    monologuist Posts: 40
    edited July 2007
    yeah was just considering this for a couple reasons...
    1.Tweeter doesn't need as much power
    2.Not sure I am in love with the way the PDX sounds on the tweeter. I have a Class A/B Boston Acoustics amp that is about 80 or 90 w/ channel that has a much different sound on the 6500's. Seems to have more dynamics, more air, and warmth, a bit more laid back of a sound. Alpine sounds brighter, tighter, more assertive. The Boston fairs worse in the midbass department though compared to the PDX...sloppier. So maybe put those 135 W of the Alpine to the midbass, and the 80 w of the Boston to the Tweets.

My concern was just that it would upset the balance between woofer and tweeter...the two amps have quite different sounds.