Automated Irrigation System

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
So, I could use some advice from the group.

Before next summer rolls around, I want to have installed a new watering/irrigation system for my home. This will be a two part project as I see it

1) installing the pipes and sprinkler heads. Any advice here would be welcome. I am not very handy with tools, and while I have a basic idea of what I will be doing, if anyone has any success stories, tips, things to avoid, yadda yadda.... I would appreciate it.

2) I want to make this an automated process once its installed. I'll be installing a computer in the garage and use software to control all aspects of the watering. It will be able to control the time of day, amount of water based on ground moisture, hold a day if it has been raining, that sort of thing. Basically, I want the modern version of not having to move around sprinklers and hoses every night during the summer.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much just the hardware of the pipes and sprinklers would run me? Our property has a small front yard and a small-medium backyard. Just ballpark.

Thanks.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    Hunter makes some of the best stuff out there from what I've read and experienced.

http://www.hunterindustries.com/

As far as cost, depends on how many zones and heads you'll need, etc. You'd need to post measurements, and/or drawings of everything you want watered if possible.

I recommend having a licensed pro do it if you can. Double check local laws as well, you may not be allowed to install your own irrigation system without a license/permit/certification. You can get in some serious manure if it's not done right and something bad happens (like backflow into your neighborhoods water system).
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    I was afraid of that. Its one of those things that I'd like to be able I said I did myself. I hope thats possible. Oh well, City Hall is across the street, I'll go ask.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    If this helps, I had over 50 heads and 5 zones done with a good controller and rain sensor by a licensed pro for about $2000. Took him 2 days.

If you really want a "computer" to run it all, I'm sure it'll cost you more. I think a computer is a bit much. The controllers/sensors/weather centers these days can do everything you need.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    I done it myself, drawn a plan got a permit... no problem. Toro installation guide is best find it at HD, rent a trencher to gig your lines. Use 3/4" pipe for your runs as you don't what to limit your water flow. Don't mix head types on the same zone. Not sure what your plans are for water but I consider a irrigation water meter as this would not be charged as waste water also, saving you $ in the long run.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited July 2007
    All good advice and if you’re not too handy with tools, it may be good idea to have someone do it for you. I did my own with 8 zones and it was a lot of work considering I did not have the pipe laying machine. However, I laid my pipe before I re-graded my lawn so that made things a bit easier and a lot less digging.

Be sure to have the installer check the outside line and make sure you have a minimum of 3/4 copper going out from your main. A lot of times, plumbers will run 1/2 line to the outside faucets and that simply will not do. I think it's like an 11 gallon difference per minute between 1/2 and 3/4. You'll need that extra water if you have 4-5 heads on each zone. If your main line coming into the house is 1’’ as most are, and your water meter is 1’’, than have them run 1’’ line to the outside. You’ll thank me the first time you wash your car :D

I have 8 zones so that consists of the following

- 1000 ft of pipe
    - Misc connectors for the pipe
    - 2 manifolds
    - 8 valves
    - 21 lawn heads
    - 22 mister heads for the beds
    - 22 risers for the beds
    - 1 - 12 zone control box

Materials alone were about $1400.00

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • AALEE
    AALEE Posts: 51
    edited July 2007
    A few years ago an attorney owed me for services I provided them so he traded services from someone that owed him, a landscaper. From observing the installation this is not something you want to eat into your weekend now that Heineken has a good light beer. They come in with their equipment, install in one day and leave no scars for less than you do for yourself. I usually go with "do it yourself" but on this one, let them do it. Just a thought.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited July 2007
    Copper :eek: Tell me you didn't do it in Copper... Thats not right for Irrigation IMHO. PVC schedule 40 nothing else is the way to go, and yes run a line to the meter box as you will what a irrigation water meter for sure now or later. Also if you have a deck, pool, or anything else you could use water outside for do yourself favor and add a water faucet for water off the "I" meter. (It ok to run that end in Copper ;))

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited July 2007
    Who said anything about copper?
  • disneyjoe7
    edited July 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    Be sure to have the installer check the outside line and make sure you have a minimum of 3/4 copper going out from your main.

Going out from your main? Sounds like you ran 3/4 copper pipe to your main from what your manifold?

Sorry if I misunderstood you. :cool:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer