Computer Help

Disc Jockey
Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
So my assistant brought her laptop to me saying she hadn't been able to get any sound for the last two weeks. It's a Toshiba A100 about 6 months old if that makes any difference.

First thing I tried was looking in Sound Devices, it shows no sound devices at all. Then I thought I'd check in device manager. Device manager doesn't show any devices of any kind - completely blank. Very odd to say the least.

Tried a system restore - no change at all. I was going to try to reinstall windows but her restore disc only has the option of wiping everything and returning to "out of the box" state.

Any ideas on anything else to try??
"The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
Post edited by Disc Jockey on

Comments

• Disc Jockey
    edited July 2007
    btw, no devices show in device manager in safe mode either
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    How about doing a Windows update?
  • Disc Jockey
    edited July 2007
    I can't here because I can't get it on the network, but it is set to update automatically
  • Disc Jockey
    edited July 2007
    I actually found that I can install Windows from the dvd after windows is loaded, I just can't boot to the dvd and do it that way. But when I tried it, the process started then quit and gave me an error message that the installation was not successful after about 20 seconds.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited July 2007
    Go find...

1) Toshiba restore CD and try to install just the audio drivers for that laptop.

or

2) Goto Toshiba website and see if you can download the specific audio driver for that laptop.

If none of the above worked and you've already completed a full system restore that wiped everything out (started over basically) and it's still not working, send it in for warranty work.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2007
    6 mos old = still under warranty. you can go into the bios to change the boot order to get the pc to boot from the DVD first and HD second.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    windows XP
    Use system restore within windows to restore the drivers back to a time when they worked.
    Start/Programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.
    Takes about 10 minutes
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Disc Jockey
    edited July 2007
    Go find...

1) Toshiba restore CD and try to install just the audio drivers for that laptop.

Did that too, no go.
    ben62670 wrote: »
    windows XP
    Use system restore within windows to restore the drivers back to a time when they worked.
    Start/Programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.
    Takes about 10 minutes

I did try that once but didn't help. I tried an earlier point today and did get it to come back. This point was right before the install of iTunes. Anybody ever hear of iTunes messing up a computer this way?
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited July 2007
    . Anybody ever hear of iTunes messing up a computer this way?

I am thinking about getting t-shirts made up that say this.

I'll sell millions:p
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2007
    Go find...

or

2) Goto Toshiba website and see if you can download the specific audio driver for that laptop.

If none of the above worked and you've already completed a full system restore that wiped everything out (started over basically) and it's still not working, send it in for warranty work.

+1 this the correct way. If it does not work after this use the warranty.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Disc Jockey
    edited July 2007
    Well, FWIW, after mucking around a bit more I found that someone had turned off her Plug 'n Play service. Turning it back on solved both her audio problem and Device Mangaer not populating correctly
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2007
    Congrats. I have seen that and to this day I don't know how it happens.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.