WHY..WHY..WHY (the down side)

dudeinaroom
dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
My computer died last night. It was a bios flashing gone wrong. I've never had a problem before. Had a check clear before I expected it to, got a letter in the mail that said I was over drawn and with the late fees it put me 81 bucks in the hole. Jumped on the internet to check the account its minus 350+ wtf, ok stop using the debit card. Go to the bank put in 500 bucks receipt says -18 dollars omg wtf. get home 2, 3,4 dollar debits with 30 dollar over draft fees, why couldn't they have just called after the first one instead of mailing it and me not know what's up.

sorry forthe rant, I'm just getting a little tired of all the rain, oh yeah I had to sell my Adcom:(:( :(:(:(:(:(:(
Post edited by dudeinaroom on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    My computer died last night. It was a bios flashing gone wrong. I've never had a problem before. Had a check clear before I expected it to, got a letter in the mail that said I was over drawn and with the late fees it put me 81 bucks in the hole. Jumped on the internet to check the account its minus 350+ wtf, ok stop using the debit card. Go to the bank put in 500 bucks receipt says -18 dollars omg wtf. get home 2, 3,4 dollar debits with 30 dollar over draft fees, why couldn't they have just called after the first one instead of mailing it and me not know what's up.

sorry forthe rant, I'm just getting a little tired of all the rain, oh yeah I had to sell my Adcom:(:( :(:(:(:(:(:(

Been there:( I feel for ya. I didn't sell my Adcoms though. I quit eating, and sold my Infinity, and Klipsch parts.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited July 2007
    My computer died last night. It was a bios flashing gone wrong. I've never had a problem before.
    Been there and done that! I ended up doing it on a laptop which is worse as you usually need more sophisticated tools to replace the BIOS chip or to re-flash it. At least with a desktop you can sometimes get the parts you need cheaply.
    why couldn't they have just called after the first one instead of mailing it and me not know what's up.

The samething happened to my girlfriend's sister. She racked up $500 in charges and the items she purchased were only about $40 in total... she just had multiple, small charges all of which receive a seperate over-draft fee. The bank froze her account for her but she ended up changing banks over the incident (though, it wasn't the bank's fault she over-spent).
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited July 2007
    I was just reading how the banks charge overdraft fees and have the ability to pay checks in what ever order they want to maximize fees. Good article.

http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/moneyhappy/40466
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    Use the jumpers on your mobo to reset the bios.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited July 2007

If you've never been overdrawn before, the bank will usually give you a break if you call and beg..I've done it before...
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Maybe it's time to stop using your debit cards until you learn how to keep track of your expenses.

There is this little thing called cash! Once it's gone from your wallet, you KNOW you are out of money.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited July 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Use the jumpers on your mobo to reset the bios.

Unless the motherboard has a second BIOS used to recover the main BIOS, resetting the jumpers won't do anything after a bad BIOS flashing.

Once you flash the BIOS incorrectly you have only a couple of options:
    • Some motherboards have a way to recover the BIOS through a secondary, "backup" BIOS that can be copied over to the main BIOS if its currupted. Sometimes you can recover the BIOS through a floppy as well
    • If you have no recovery options, you can usually take the BIOS chip out and take it to a shop that has a tool that can re-flash the BIOS manually
    • Once those two options are not possible... then it's either replace the BIOS chip or motherboard or send back to the manufacturer.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited July 2007
    ALSO....when it comes to BIOS upgrades, only flash if you need to.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    The title of this thread instantly conjured images of Nancy Kerrigan...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    If anything, you can call the MB manufacturer and get a new chip for it. I had to do this on an Asus board last year. They sent the lil chip to me pretty fast, slapped it in and it ran. Its not really an eprom but kind of like it. Lil square chip the side of your thumb nail.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited July 2007
    My empathy and 5 bucks will buy you a latte...however not a lot.
    Monetarily worthless as it is you do have my empathy.Better days.