Essential (and awesome) Palm OS Apps

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
As I anticipate taking delivery of my new Palm sometime today (fingers crossed), I can't help but wonder abotu the various apps and programs avaible for Palms today.

What's practical? What increases efficiency? What's decreases boredom? What's just plain neat? And, furthermore, what's free?

There seems to be a LOT out there for the Windows-based PDA's, but I'm sure there's a lot out there for the Palm OS, too.
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    I know its to late, but you should have bought the Palm Treo Windows version (I have the 700w). Palm OS is dead.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited July 2007
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I just got a Nokia n770 Internet Tablet that runs a Linux operating system and essentially is a low powered PDA optimized for surfing the internet.

I'd get an eBook reader, there are many free ebooks (I currently have Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe and The Grimm Bothers Tales that I got all for free from various websites (Mainly the Gutenberg Project). You can also buy or "find" some current books; right now I have Hitchhiker's Guide.

Also, get an emulator. For any system capable of running one (almost anything should be able to handle NES and older MAME games), an emulator is a must have. I don't know where you can get a Palm one but it is worth looking for.

ScummVM has a Palm download and it will run games based on the Scumm platform like the Monkey Island games and Sam & Max. This runs on my little 252MHz processor perfectly.

Also, Doom has been ported to EVERYTHING so I'd look for a copy of that.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    I know its to late, but you should have bought the Palm Treo Windows version (I have the 700w). Palm OS is dead.

Sorry, I have to agree. There are a ton of apps out there for Windows Mobile. I haven't used a Palm device in ages, but I am sure there are lots of good apps out there.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2007
    Ok, so I've downloaded and installed ScummVM, and it'll run on my Palm. However, I can't any games to run on it.

I've downloaded a few, extracted the files, and sent them to the SD card, but they still won't show up in the list of games.

Maybe it's just late, but what am I missing?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited July 2007
    Well, I acquired Monkey's island and then unzipped it to a folder called monkey and pointed the game there and that was it.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8