MS Office XP Pro would load.. now it won't

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
OK... I've got a legitimate copy of MS Office XP Pro, 2002. We had it on our computer for a couple of years, everything worked fine.

Recently, our machine crashed and I had to use HP's system recovery. Back to factory settings, reload any applications we wanted.

NOW.. this very same disk is telling me I have an invalid key. Same disk, same key, same computer. But I can't load Office.

SO... first, any idea why this is happening?

Second.. anyone have a copy of Office they'd be willing to send me so I can load it and access my resume, and my wife's Word docs, and everything else we'd created and now can't access except through WordPad??

Man.... I am ready for carbon paper and typewriters...

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited July 2007
    You can use OpenOffice for free. It's available at http://www.openoffice.org

It's not as pretty as Microsoft's product but it will work with the same file formats and best of all, it's FREE!
  • burdette
    edited July 2007
    It isn't telling me my key is bad, it is telling me...

The cabinet file "OFFICE1.CAB' is corrupt and can't be used, etc.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear. *I* did NOT corrupt that file. I didn't offer it drugs or alcohol and I didn't share women with it.

SO... I have one disk, and this is my error. Am I phqucked?

Back to.. anyone have a copy they'd be willing to share?

Thanks. Sorry for the misrepresentation of Bill Gates. I hope he forgives me.

Heck is where you go when you don't believe in Gosh.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Get a new file from someone with the same version, that's where I would start.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • burdette
    edited July 2007
    Hey Russ. Good to hear from you, man. Hope all is well with you and yours. You should come up to KC and see us all.. Hbomb, me, Polkthug...
  • Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited July 2007
    Have you tried a system restore?
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited July 2007
    Sorry about the woes. Have you tried to uninstall Office (Control Panel--Add/Remove Programs), then reinstall? You won't lose any of your Word docs. Good luck!
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2007
    Call Microsoft.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger