How much should I pay?

1lakerfan
1lakerfan Posts: 112
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
When buying a car sound system where should I start (car has crap speakers. Have a 1995 Altima). Should the amp cost twice as much as the speakers to give them enough power?

Thank You
Post edited by 1lakerfan on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited July 2007
    Dipends all on what u want to get out of your system, post some details of what u want, like clarity, bass, whatever... and we will all help u out and find u good deals.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2007
    Exactly.....

Also, knowing your budget would help.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 1lakerfan
    edited July 2007
    Well I obviously want a good sound system. I like rap/hip hop music so like everyone else I want the subs to hit hard. I am driving a 1995 Nissan Altima. As for the subs a was looking at some from kicker(unless you can suggest something better). I am willing to spend about $400-$500 on the subs. I am assuming I would have to pay like double for an amp to really drive them, or am I wrong? I obvioulsy have a older car so should I worry about rattling? And last of all where do I start when building a system?

Thank You
  • 1lakerfan
    edited July 2007
    Or how about JL Audio?, I here their one the best.
  • JaMiH
    JaMiH Posts: 4
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to suggest that you buy the Car Sound System in this particular order.

1. Headunit
    2. Front and Rear Speakers (Some would say that Front speakers would suffice)
    3. Multi Channel Amplifier
    4. Subwoofer/s
    5. Mono Amplifier for you Subwoofer/s
    6. Sound processor or EQ
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    First figure up what your budget is and make it as much as possible while still being realistic. Remember, you get what you pay for and this is true nowhere more than in audio. $1000 budget is great but if you can swing $2000, do it!

Next decide what youre wanting to build. Are you just wanting some tunes to listen to while you drive to work? If so all youll need is some drop in coaxial replacement speakers and a solid head unit.

Are you wanting a simple system that will play rap and other bass heavy music really loud? If so then youll probably want a premade box with a couple 12's in it, a very stout amp, some basic drop in speakers and a basic CD player.

Are you wanting a pure sound quality system that will wring out every once of detail from a CD? If so youll need the best speakers you can afford, good quality sub, well made box, good strong amps and a CD player with plenty of tuning options.

I infer from your posts that youre wanting option #2. For that go to Crutchfield.com and Cardomain.com and shop around.

Look for the premade, loaded enclosures. These are usually well made and perfect for drop in installations. Once you settle on the subs, pick an amp that will power it properly. After that youll need to look for some coaxial speakers thatll fit in the factory locations. Once those are found, get a good solid head unit to run the speakers (unless you can afford an amp for them).
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1lakerfan
    edited July 2007
    I want something more than simple. As for budget, I just completed my surround sound system in my house and payed about $3700 with the wires and stuff. For my car maybe about $3000. As I said I dont want something simple but I dont need my trunk to look all fancy or whatever.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    k man i have a 2007 civic, they are very close in size, i went with 2 sets of momo components and 2 10" momo subs. i listen to everything pretty much, lots of rap, a lot of old school stuff like wu-tang with the HARD hitting bass, and my friends always wana go in my car, it sounds pretty damn amazing. I went with MTX amps. My complete setup is in my Sigs, and should be right around the price u want to pay, prob a little less. i would invest in some dynamat around the speakers in the door, i like 2 layers, and then with the subs and an old car (even a new one) just listen for rattles and wherever they are comming from put somthing inbetween to make a tight fit.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    and to be honest im not a fan of JL, i know a lot of people like them, but i think infinity (kappa and up), Polk, and MTX sound around the same and possibly better, and are prob going to be less money.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1lakerfan
    edited July 2007
    I know thats just your opinion and I never heard JL speakers but what is better about the speakers you mention than what JL has to offer?
  • 1lakerfan
    edited July 2007
    and I noticed that they have speakers that just have tweeters, so wouldnt I get enough bass from the JL subs to not really care about the bass on the other speakers or..... what.........
  • 1lakerfan
    edited July 2007
    What the best amp to drive the JL audio 13W6v2 with a price of $1000
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    high end system = tweaters for highs, woofers for mids and subs for lows, u dont really use your woofers for lows.

Im all about clean music, i have 2 sets of components in my car and 2 10" subs in a closed box, i like crisp clean music, i found JLs to not be as clean. I love infinitys stuff thats kapa or above, reference is good stuff for low end, just like Polks DB stuff.

do u want 1 or 2 of those JL subs?

My opinion for clean crisp highs, clean mids and hard hitting bass

Headunit (which really doesnt matter too much in sound, just get somthing thats 4volt preouts or better)
    Alpine, Eclipse, Premier

If you go with components

Polk Momo, Infinity Kapa

Subs i listen to a lot of rap, but also all kinds of music and i like 10" subs in a sealed box

Polk Momo, Infinity Kapa, MTX (go with 4500 or better)

Amps

Infinity makes a solid reasonably priced amp, Kicker is the same and from my understanding is very reliable, But my Favorite is MTX, Hiphonics makes a pretty reasonably price amp that will push high end subs.

Don't cut your self short with wiring or sound damping, if u have 2 quality components dont cut your self short of whats between them (the wires)
    I personaly have all monster cabling in my car ( i got it at cost, so i said wtf) but Streetwires are good quality, and Lighting Audio (which is actualy Rockford Fosgate) makes good quality stuff.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1lakerfan
    edited August 2007
    Alright I decided to lower my budget after hearing some of the subwoofers at circuitcity. I am looking at the Polk Audio db212-2 and the Polk Audio db212-2. Almost all of my home theatre speakers are polk and im in a polk forum, so I am obviously leaning towards the polk subwoofer. What amp (1000 Watts) would you recommened for this subwoofer. I dont know how to match the specs to the subwoofer to specs on the amp but I know its important to pick the right amp for the right subwoofer.

Thanks