If you had a choice...SDA SRS2's or SDA 1C's?

Options
avguytx
avguytx Posts: 1,628
edited July 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Well, obviously I would take both pairs BUT if you had to live with one pair, which would it be? There are basically the same amount of mids/highs drivers but the 2's do have the 15" passive so that has to mean more low end. Are there sonic differences that would make you guys lean more to one speaker or the other? The pair I'm looking at have the (4) MW6509 drivers so I'm guessing they are the earlier version (circa 1986?). The price is definitely right on these and I guess I could do them in another room in the house. I have a second preamp (CT-17) and would end up matching it with a TFM series amp for aesthetics. I'm weird like that.

Any insight and opinions is greatly appreciated...

Kip
Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
Post edited by avguytx on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2007
    Options
    SDA SRS 2 (having owned both) when set up and driven properly,they have an amazing soundstage,and the speakers just disappear,leaving you with sweet sound, however room size may be a factor.If you have found a pair,jump on em',you won't be disappointed. Good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Thanks George. I guess the downfall is that I don't have even my 1C's in an "optimum" setup so I know I'm short changing them even now. But, damn, they still sound good in a room that's about 12 X 14 (my office). They are about 6 feet apart BUT there is only about a foot of space between them and the wall. Not optimum, but they still sound great. I wish they still built houses in Texas (or Oklahoma) with basements because I would be building a new one with a 2-channel basement/man-cave/entertainment room.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited July 2007
    Options
    SDA srs 2 love them My friend has them. 2-6510 2-6511
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2007
    Options
    If you have a choice, go with the SRS 2 and don't look back. Properly driven, they are one of the better sounding and with looks to kill.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Having had both,I would also vote for the SRS 2's. The cabinets and the x-overs are a notch above the 1C's.

They are VERY easy to drive and throw a great soundstage,but the 1C's are no slouch either.

The SRS 2's also have a little better bass responce with the 15" passive woofer.
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Hmm...it's looking like I'm going to have to pick these up and give them a whirl. I'm sure I'll just have both and make one of the other spare bedrooms (aka Soloflex room) into another Carver/Polk room. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. I definitely will want to find something like a Carver TFM-45 or 55 since these are 4-ohm speakers (IIRC) and are not the bi-ampable versions PLUS, aren't they rated up to 750 watts each?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I drove mine with the same amp I have now,a Parasound HCA 1500A.

The Carvers you mention will be more than enough amp for these speakers...I was always amazed at just how easy they were to drive.

BTW,I wish I had them back:D
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Both
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Please tell me they're in houston. I just need them one day to audition them against my 2b's.
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    SRS 2's all the way, But you will need a high powered amp. Or two ;)

Nothing wrong with power! Can't do any bi-amping since they only have the single terminal connections on each and they are 4-ohm speakers (nominal). I don't think it would be good to try and find amps that are stable at 4-ohm mono to run them. That would probably kill the sound quality.

Please tell me they're in houston. I just need them one day to audition them against my 2b's.

No, they are up in north TX fairly close to me.

The only bad thing about them is that the oak sections have been painted black. I haven't physically seen them yet so I don't know how good or bad a job it is and how hard it would be to strip the paint off to go back to an original finish. I'm waiting on a return email from them.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I would go with the SRS 2 but no real reason, the 1C's are awesome too.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,090
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Can't really say for sure since I haven't listened to SRS 2's since their introduction. I have 1C's and love them, they are fantastic. The SRS 2's have a larger passive and the 1C's use a bit more updated parts since they are newer (1C's use the same edge wound voice coil cones as in the SRS drivers). From what I've read here the edge goes to the SRS 2's and I certainly wouldn't argue with those that have heard both more recently than I have.

I say get them and do a comparo and then let us know. One last note I'm not sure if you already own 1C's that it would be worth it to sell them and get SRS 2's, because they are probably similar enough that it wouldn't be worth the effort, but if you are going to own 2 pairs, GO FOR IT!!!

There was a pair of 3.1TL's very close to me recently and since I have my 1C's I didn't even consider getting the 3.1TL's. I'm that happy with the 1C's. :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2007
    Options
    SRS 2s. Sound incredible, very easy to drive(mine get about 25 wpc during most of my sessions), look much better, and not so large, like the 1.2s, with "most" of the 1.2's ooomph. Though they are bigger than the 1Cs.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Well, I was going to go get them today but since there was an explosion as a gas place at I35 & I30, traffic is a nightmare. I did find out that the cabinets were painted from the front to about 3" back as they were placed into a "built in" custom cabinet that was made. It looks like I'd have to strip down part and redo them. Not too bad I guess. There isn't an IC cable but I already have one of those plus I was going to make a new one anyway for the 1C's with better terminations and thicker cable.
  • soiset
    soiset Posts: 724
    edited July 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    Well, I was going to go get them today but since there was an explosion as a gas place at I35 & I30, traffic is a nightmare. I did find out that the cabinets were painted from the front to about 3" back as they were placed into a "built in" custom cabinet that was made. It looks like I'd have to strip down part and redo them. Not too bad I guess. There isn't an IC cable but I already have one of those plus I was going to make a new one anyway for the 1C's with better terminations and thicker cable.

Ah, you're the guy ahead of me. Well. if you get them, promise to let me hear them.
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    soiset wrote: »
    Ah, you're the guy ahead of me. Well. if you get them, promise to let me hear them.

Sorry about that! :D There was someone ahead of me that didn't show up after they said they would. I guess I caught the ad early enough for the first time!
    Lasareath wrote: »
    avguytx, if you dont like the black you could always redo the wood like I did on my 1.2tl's ;)

I need to go back and search the posts to see what you did. Wasn't it the new wood pieces out of some nice exotic wood?
  • engtaz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    engtaz

• avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Yep. Those are the ones.
  • engtaz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRR IT. Lucky dog
    engtaz

• soiset
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Noooooooooooooooooo. Doooooooooooooooonnnnn't. Let Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Have Them.
  • engtaz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    LOL nows that's funny
    engtaz

• avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I'm going to pick them up tomorrow night since they can't do it today. My plan is to redo the wood on this pair and I will give one or the other pair to my best friend back home for his 40th birthday. Not sure which ones he will get yet, though.
  • engtaz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I think you gave him an opening. LOL
    engtaz

• soiset
    edited July 2007
    Options
    "In the news tonight, a bizarre home break-in in Dallas...despite having access to valuable silverware and jewelry, the suspect made off only with a single pair of large, unwieldy speakers, and appears to have left $200 on a coffee table. Police are baffled, but Kip, Dallas resident, says "I know the sniping beeeeephole that did this!"
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Hopefully the seller is an honest seller. I was second in line and the first person backed out and I have a commitment to them to pick them up tomorrow. I would do it today but they aren't going to be available. They also emailed me saying that "someone" was trying to bump ahead of me in line and said to tell me hello. Hmmm....
  • soiset
    edited July 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    Hopefully the seller is an honest seller. I was second in line and the first person backed out and I have a commitment to them to pick them up tomorrow. I would do it today but they aren't going to be available. They also emailed me saying that "someone" was trying to bump ahead of me in line and said to tell me hello. Hmmm....

Who is this sniping beephole? We'll never know...
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Hehe. I wonder! ;)
  • soiset
    edited July 2007
    Options
    You know, I bet a Hafler P7000 would be just the ticket with those...

(As in, do you need an amp for those babies? Free auditions!)
  • engtaz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    This is great but will get me in trouble at work for laughing to loud.
    engtaz

• avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I bet that amp would rock them...that's for sure. 500wpc at 4-ohm. I'll most likely put a Carver amp on them as I have a CT-17 preamp that's sitting idle and I want an amp that matches it. Plus, I just like Carver. Probably a TFM-45 or 55 if I can find one. I have another M-1.0t that's 200wpc @ 8-ohm and around 350 @ 4-ohm. I might use that for now. Thanks for the offer though! :D