garage door openers

Willow
Willow Posts: 10,994
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Should we buy belt driven or chain? and why?

Thanks.

I know nothing about them except we need one.
Post edited by Willow on

Comments

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2007
    I've found the Chamberlain Whisper Drive openers to be very reliable and near dead silent.

I'm a big fan of the quiet belt drives. Especially if you have an attached garage.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Willow
    edited July 2007
    thanks I'll take a look at that one I think it's sold at HD.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
  • Willow
    edited July 2007
    Thanks PT never heard of screw drive ones.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2007
    A noisy door opener is a wonderful 45 second warning that the wife is about to walk in the house.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited July 2007
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    A noisy door opener is a wonderful 45 second warning that the wife is about to walk in the house.

AMEN:D
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2007
    Rivrrat wrote: »

too funny :D
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited July 2007
    I've installed Craftsman chain drives (they're made by Chamberlain) in my mom's , grandma's, and my garage. Never had a failure, very easy to install, and cheap. As far as noise, I can't hear mine unless I am in the garage, but the wall between the house and attached garage is well insulated.

Whatever you get, make sure you get all the accessories with it, like 2 remotes, outside keypad, deluxe control panel, etc. When you buy these seperately, they are way overpriced.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited July 2007
    I like the screw drives best of all...
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited July 2007
    Had chains. Loud stuff. Went to screw drive. Much better. I also put the outside combo (wired version) in. The kids used it for years to get in after school. No lost keys. That was worth every penny.
    I use it too. The wife will lock the door about 2 seconds after anyone goes out. No one up but me, walk out to get the paper, door's locked. Go out to the truck to get something, door's locked. She even has locked the damn thing between loads of groceries! So it gets a lot of use around my house.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    edited August 2007
    So we ended up buying the Chamberlin Whisper drive. It's Belt driven, I could not find any screw drive versions. Now we wait for the instal. We opted for the pro-install for a couple reasons, one the person I would ask to help me install is away for the whole summer, I don't want friends who install them while drinking beers and doing just an ok job and that the install was on special @ HD for 75$ that day only. This particual one comes with a lifetime belt warrenty. We should have itup and running with in 3 weeks.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited August 2007
    Seems like a decent price for an install, but there is no way I would wait three weeks, when I could put it up myself in about an hour and a half. It's really simple.

Also, most the "pro" installs I have seen, they just tack the wires to the wall. When I built my garage last year, I spent a lot of time finishing it just as well as any room in the house, there is no way I could tolerate that. Having the wires from the safety sensors, control panel, etc, all hidden looks much more professional.