Help with sub plans......

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys I have a 96 Saturn SW1 and was wantin to know what y'all thought about havin some kind of a box built. But before we get into that i'm kinda havin trouble figuring what I'm gonna go with. I know that I have to have 6.5" components in the front and then in the rear tailgate I'll just put in some 6.5" coaxial and that should still sound good right? OK then.... Circuit City has the Kicker RS65.2 components. But I was thinking maybe the Polk DB components because I love POLK AUDIO all the way. I'll also get the same size (components if I have to) for the tailgate. Now.....for the custom box blueprints....I wanna build a box for my cargo area to be flush with the tops of the back seat as long as from panel to panel in the back flush up against the back seats and I want just wide enough that it stops right when my panels start to curve downward. Does that make sense? The box dimensions are 36" W x 17 1/2" H x 8" D. Now sticking with the Polk tradition I'd like to stick with Polk Audio DB 6.5" components (for now) up front and Polk Audio DB 6.5" coaxials (for now) but with that limited space of depth I dont know what kinda sub to pair my speakers with. I've thought about either 1 SR124-DVC or 2 Kicker L5 12"s in a Kicker box or just one Kicker L7 10" in a custom built box for the specs of my hatch area or just say to hell with what and get the db212-2 in the custom Polk box? What do y'all think a man in my situation should do? And say if I would go with just like 1 Polk SR sub and Polk components, how do Polk amps perform? I've honestly never heard anything about them. Would a C400.4 be really good for my components? I like my Metal really powerful and really loud. LOL But then if I would end up gettin 2 subs would one C500.1 be enough or would I get 2 C500.1's for the subs?
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    Also I was looking and comparing and I can demo these speakers and I still will but I wanna know what y'all think. What y'all say always impacts what I read about and go demo for myself. So, with that said what about (for now) either Polk Audio db65101 and db651S I can demo them at Circuit City or Rockford Fosgate P162S or P163C I can demo them at Best Buy or Alpine Type R SPR-17S or SPR-17C I can also demo them at Best Buy. Now again note that whatever I do decide to settle with I'd like to keep the amps and subs same too. Now I dont know much about Polk amps but I do know from experience that Alpine and Rockford Fosgate make pound for pound hellacious amps. Also do y'all think you can help me out and give me some names of some other 6.5" components with the 6.5" coaxials to match also? Just to be able to keep my mind open about things.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    NOOOO!!! Kicker makes great amps and subs but I do not like their speakers at all.

I would suggest that rather than getting DB speakers front and rear, how about getting some Momo components for the front only?

As for what boxes, dude I tell ya, I f'ing love the DB212-2. This thing is gorgeous and sounds excellent! I would have no qualms about throwing one in the back of my car.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    Well I like that box and subs my dad has it, it bangs really deep but i dont think it'll fit COMFORTABLY in my hatch area.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    I dunno if it can be done but I'd like to have a box that fits exactly to a "T" with my side panel moldings. I'll try to find a pic of it and post it so that way y'all know what in the hell I'm talking about.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    NOOOO!!! Kicker makes great amps and subs but I do not like their speakers at all.

I would suggest that rather than getting DB speakers front and rear, how about getting some Momo components for the front only?

As for what boxes, dude I tell ya, I f'ing love the DB212-2. This thing is gorgeous and sounds excellent! I would have no qualms about throwing one in the back of my car.

I remember when they had nice components.....that was back in the mid to late 90's. :(
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Yeah. Dont know why they cant make a decent set of speakers. MTX is the same thing. Powerhouse amps and subs - crap speakers. Go figure.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys I found a pic of the rear cargo area. Not a very good one but you can tell where I just want my box to go 8" in depth.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=EEEECC&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2082000-2082999/2082304_19_full.jpg

Now based on what y'all know what I want and you've seen the size of my cargo area to work with, do y'all think I can build that box and make everything sound really really good? OK if so, can I get buy with 2 subs for that application? If not cool then right, you can make one 12" sound good right? Another thing I've heard is never have your subwoofers firing against your back seats, is this true? I dunno what to do then if I cant have that cause that's what I was going for. Maybe if not 2 subs but 1 sub in the middle of the box hitting the seats. I know y'all can tell now what kinda box I'm trying to build here, I just dunno if (for one) the sub will fit comfortably, and (two) the sub will hit like it's supposed to.