Tweeter install help and problems(?)

Pantocrator
Pantocrator Posts: 84
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey, I'm figuring out how to install the SR6500 tweeters in my car, but I've come to an impass. First off, I think that there might be a small amount of adhesive on the outside of ONE of the tweeters, far away from the center- does this matter at all? It is not much, and I am not even sure it is adhesive, but it is not on the other tweeter.
Install wise, there is a place on my dash that looks like a speaker hole, but it is empty (my car was purchased without an optional sound system), and the hole is too big for the tweeters. I was thinking of mounting a piece of 3/4 inch wood on top of the grill and angling the tweeter out from there, running the wire through the grill down into the car.
A problem here, though, is that it is extremely close to the windshield, and I have heard that the tweeter sound should not bounce off of the windshield due to "glassy" and "crass" sound. Also, since I am at this point, what is on vs off axis tweeter installation, what are the benifits, etc.
Thank you for the help, I'll put some pics up if it helps.
My system (thanks to everybody for the help)
One pair Polk SR6500 comps
One Polk SR124DVC sub
One Pioeer Premier 880PRS HU
One Memphis belle 16MCH1300 amp
Post edited by Pantocrator on

Comments

• Pantocrator
    edited July 2007
    I'll have to post the pics later, it won't let me link to them or directly attach them due to size of file.
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Aiming your tweeters into the glass can cause problems but they can be worked around. Best results is using a Dashmat. Thatll keep the reflection down to a minimum. Also, it wont sound right out of the box. Itll take some time working with crossover points and level before you get it dialed in.

If you can put them in another spot like the A pillars, that would be a better way to go. But if the dash is the only spot you can use then go for it. It can work but it will take some effort to get it right.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Pantocrator
    edited July 2007
    i have not heard them yet- i am figuring out how to install them. Does dashmat attach to the windshield? I'll google it for more info I guess. What is an A-pillar?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    [sarcasm]Yes, you put the dashmat on the windshield. The downside is you have to drive around like Ace Ventura with your head out the window but its worth it for the improved SQ. Most people wouldnt like this which is why they try to trick people with the name. They figure DASHmat would make people think it covers their dash. Obviously youve seen thru their clever ruse.[/sarcasm]

http://www.global-accessories.com/dashmat/index.html
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    lmao
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it