CD Player Trouble

DrJoe
DrJoe Posts: 22
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, I just got a new Pioneer CD player (Shame Polk doesn't make them.) and I'm having some problems making it work. I've gotten the wiring harness and I've connected the color coded wire but, for some reason or another, it doesn't feel like turning on. I've installed a CD player before so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. The only difference is that the new CD player has a black wire which I need to ground to a metal location. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys have had a problem like this and might be able to help me find a solution before I pay 50 bucks to Custom Sounds or whatever. Thanks a lot.

My E-Mail is josephgarnier@gmail.com if you want to contact me.
Post edited by DrJoe on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2007
    I've always just use an existing bolt/screw behind the dash that was on metal, if that was not available I would drill my own.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2007
    I've installed many decks, and with my expereince, the harness should have a ground also. In either case, what blackmax said is right and should work. Just make sure you strip any paint (if there is in fact any back there :D)
  • DrJoe
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll use some paint stripper on the area just to make sure, but it really looks like bare metal. Anyway, I'll tell you how it goes. Thanks a lot.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    What kind of car is it going in?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • DrJoe
    edited July 2007
    Well, I tried the paint stripper and it didn't work. I'm putting the CD player, which is a Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, in a 2001 Ford Focus SE. I looked at the wires coming from the wiring harness and one of them was a black cord with ground written on it. I was wondering if I should wire the black ground cord that comes from the new Pioneer CD player to the black wire from wiring harness?

For those interested. I have a 600 Watt Sony Xplod 4 channel Amp powering 4 Polk DB570 5X7's. I'm going to have my new CD player power some tweeters to bring out the highs a little better. An 800watt Kenwood amp powers a 10 inch Power Acoustik Sub.
  • black magic
    edited July 2007
    Yes, try using the ground from the harness. Is there a reason why you didn't do that in the first place? I'm not trying to be an ****, I'm just curious. Like some people say you should ground all of your stereo equipment in the same location to help prevent noise.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2007
    Alot of times the ground from the wiring harness is not good. I never use it.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2007
    Even if you have the antenna plugged in it should have enough of a ground to power up. Check your fuses. Are you replacing it because the other one didn't power up? Maybe you have power issues and the pold HU wasn't bad.
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited July 2007
    my h/u's ground came undone sometime in the past year and a half, and i just found out on friday. seems to be working just fine with no problems...i don't know what magic dust they sprinkled on it, but it works! lol
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • DrJoe
    edited July 2007
    I'd like to thank you guys for all the ideas. After I tired to connect the black ground wire to the other black wire without any luck, I took the car over to Best Buy. They told me that the CD player wasn't working because of a bad ignition wire. Since I bought the CD player from Best Buy, they gave me a free install. So, with that in mind, I went ahead, bought a dash kit, and let them put it in. The guy who installed it said that I'd have to turn it off and on manually because of the bad ignition wire. Anyway, thanks again for the ideas.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    Typical Best Buy. Take it to a local audio shop and theyll hook it up to an ignition wire for about $20 that way you wont have to turn it off manually.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2007
    What a bunch of morons. It would've taken 2 minutes to hook up an ign wire off of the main harness under the dash.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Wow! That is pretty sorry. There are only about 5,442,762,792 different ignition powered wires within 6" of the wiring harness they couldve tapped into.

Im going to go get a job at Best Buy. I bet as soon as they hear about my 4 sided boxes, they would make me employee of the month!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    edited July 2007
    yeah. seriously. I don't know much about wiring, but I could have definitely figured that out. Just look under the dash. I think its orange in most cars. I'd look at a wiring diagram, though. Or the fuse panel maybe.