Focal + Polk

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
so i am contemplating switching the momo 6500's i have up front with the focal 165k2p's. well, i KNOW im doing that, but i came across some money recently, and i thought what else could i do with it than buy some rear fills to run off my h/u. im looking at the DB series after being impressed ENOUGH to put them in my GF's car. you guys think that combo will sound decent? and please please don't say, "aw, well you should just stick to the focal's, you don't need rear fills blah." yea, i know...i like a little surround, though.
any suggestions would be nice
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited July 2007
    Uhm, with all due respect, I don't see how anybody could really answer that question......But if you really have to have rear fill, and thus completely ruin the awesome stage and instrument separation the Focals will give you :eek: when run by themselves, those DB's should be good enough for the job, IMO.

I have 165K2p's and really love um. Dick around with the crossover - it has a neat high low switch depending upon mid placement, as well as wide range of attenuation for the tweets. And they like a lot of power. First I was running 75rms - they sounded great, then I gave um 165w and they sounded noticeably better. Am now bi-amping. I high pass them at 73. Tweets start at 3,600. People will tell you focal tweets are too bright - not my experience at all. Not if you attenuate them well.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2007
    Focal has amazing speakers, they were among my consideration when I was looking for front components. My momo's do the job fine, though.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Well my advice wouldve been to either stick to the Focals for timbre matching or dont use rear fill at all. But since you dont want to hear that, I guess I dont have any suggestions.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited July 2007
    I've always wanted a Ferrari with a Honda engine personally...

Havnt you, I can get good gas mileage AND look cool while doing it.

Only problem is, everyone will be laughing when my 4 banger reaches a kazillion rpms and sounds like a **** can.

You dont put hubcaps on a truck and you dont mix expensive gear with inexpensive gear.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tim B.
    Tim B. Posts: 105
    edited July 2007
    Leave the rear fill alone, if your not doing 5.1. Sounds much sweeter.
    Car Audio System:
    Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    Front Stage: Hertz Millie MLK 2
    Sub: Hertz Millie ML3000
    Amplifier: Audison LRx 5.1K
    Battery: Kinetik KHC 1400 Power Cell

Home Theater System:
    Panasonic TH-42PX50U Plasma HD TV
    Denon AVR-3805 7.1 Recevier
    Denon DVD 1910
    Yamaha DVD-C750
    X-Box: Moded with 300 Gig Hard Drive
    Paradigm PS-1000 Subwoofer
    Bay Audio Studio Monitors: Fronts - CubeXL, Center - Cube, Side & Rear Surrounds - Mini Cubes (http://www.bayaudio.com/cubexl.html)
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2007
    I've always wanted a Ferrari with a Honda engine personally...

Havnt you, I can get good gas mileage AND look cool while doing it.

Only problem is, everyone will be laughing when my 4 banger reaches a kazillion rpms and sounds like a **** can.

You dont put hubcaps on a truck and you dont mix expensive gear with inexpensive gear.

Well said. I'd put hubcaps on a truck, though :D
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited July 2007
    noone has any experience with both together in a car?
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    ilikesound wrote: »
    why all the hate on some **** speakers? they sound fine to me...i won't hear the rears anyways, its really for the passengers in the first place..don't you hate it when your riding in someone's car in the back and the rears blow your ears off your head even a low to moderate volume? so bottom line is nobody has any experience with this combination?

I have a set of Focal coax in my rear doors, and Focal comps in the front. I use the rears for rear fill when I have passengers in the car, and sometimes for mid-bass fill by putting the fader at -6 or so.

Do what you wanna do and don't let folks get to ya. If you aren't competing and it's what you want, go for it.

I would advise that you match the speakers all the way around though. Focal, Polk, whatever. Just stick with the same brand and similar class if you can.
  • Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited July 2007
    Personally I find it difficult to believe that if you HAVE to have rear fill, the db's won't work fine. I used to have rear fill using a diff speaker of lower quality. I found that the volume necessary was always just a tad, you know, just enough to hear it, but that 90% of what I was listening to was still coming from the fronts. Your biggest sound quality loss, by far, is going to come from rear fill, not cause you used cheaper speakers, lol. Hey, just my 2 cents. Your welcome to diss it.

But you know, if your asking has anybody ever done exactly the combination your thinking of, this is wishful thinking. The chances of that are extremely small - there's a too many speaker brands out there. Statistics will tell you that the chances that somebody has done this exact speaker combination and is reading this forum is pretty f'n small!