RT600i hookup

ralph76
ralph76 Posts: 36
Hi guys,

I am new to the Polk family. I have just purchased the RT600i and CS245i center... These speakers are excellent!!! I've read that people were actually able to hear mistakes found on cds. i could not belive till i heard it my self.... and sure enough. I listed to UB40 and i was able to hear clicks on one of the tracks that went from one speaker to the other.. TERRIFIC SPEAKERS!!!!

Any way.. my question... Should i play the speakers constantly to break them in? I've heard a few people say this. Just wanted to konw if it makes a difference. Also I am using Monster cable Navaho White speaker wire. Should i upgrade to a thicker guage?
Whats recommended?

thanks
Polk RT600i's
Polk C245i Center
Jbl surrounds (need to find F/X300s) info anyone???
Harmon Kardon AVR80
Sony Processor SDP-E800
Toshiba DVD SD-1200
Sony Minidisk MDS-JE320
Monster 400MKII Interconnects
--all protected by PANAMAX 1000+

Post edited by ralph76 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Eh Ralphy boy, welcome aboard.

From my experience with the RT line, I have noticed a difference after break-in. If you feel like it, run a good bass-heavy cd at a reasonable volume for 20-40hrs give or take (I use Prodigy - Fat of the Land). Some recommend Pink-noise, some recommend sine sweeps, some say don't even bother.

Check out the 'search' function of the forum, and you'll find a recent discussion on this very topic (Speaker break-in).

Just keep using (enjoying) your rig, and it will become broke-in, regardless, its unavoidable....

As far as wire, thats another debate, I will assume you are using a receiver, with wire runs under 20ft, so pretty much anything 16 guage or lower (thicker) should suffice. You can experiement with larger guages if you feel inclined.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    Whaddya say there Ralpy-boy?

Not much to add to that other than, welcome to the forum.

This might seem obvious, but I've found the most painless way to break in speakers is to leave them on while you go to work (if there is no one in the house) for a couple days.

VA-VA-VOOOOM!

Ed Norton (of the Charleston Norton's)
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ralph76
    ralph76 Posts: 36
    edited September 2002
    Thanks guys...

Russ,

I'd like to do that but i have a slight problem. I have an HK AVR80. From time to time the volume will go all the way up or all the way down for no reason. You can see the digital read out as it increase or decrease. Don't konw what causes it but i caused two of my older speakers' tweeters to blow out.... (ouch).....

Have anyone ever seen this before.
    Polk RT600i's
    Polk C245i Center
    Jbl surrounds (need to find F/X300s) info anyone???
    Harmon Kardon AVR80
    Sony Processor SDP-E800
    Toshiba DVD SD-1200
    Sony Minidisk MDS-JE320
    Monster 400MKII Interconnects
    --all protected by PANAMAX 1000+