Custom HT Stand

Options
dane_peterson
dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
edited August 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hey guys,
I remember reading a thread recently on a member who had made his own component rack/tv stand. Can't seem to find the thread, as I wanted to use it for reference.
I'm going to start building my own stand today. I'm pretty excited. It's going to be about 70"W x 24"H x 24"D. It will be mostly black, but the front doors will be trimmed in Bubinga veneer to add some character, and match the speakers I'm getting.
Also, because I have a tendency to change speakers frequently, I'm going to make a couple extra pairs of doors and leave them unfinished/unveneered for future applications.
The basis of the design is to support a larger center channel, and incorporate all my equipment into one rack to save space. But it has been laid out to be effective in both HT and Stereo applications. Diagrams/drawings and photos to follow!
Post edited by dane_peterson on

Comments

• Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • dane_peterson
    edited July 2007
    Options
    It is, thanks Grimster. :) How's the stand working out?
  • Grimster74
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Works great, having adjustable shelves makes it alot easier for future upgrades. The only complaint I have is even with wheels, it's hard to move beings it's heavy as hell. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
  • dane_peterson
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Good to know. I'm going to do casters I've decided. Though my stand may weigh even more than yours.

Here's a basic drawing of the shelves, followed by a graphic of the ideal look when it's completed. Once my bro gets off work, we're headed to the lumber yard.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Oh man, I still drool over that stand!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Grimster74
    edited July 2007
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Oh man, I still drool over that stand!

Cfrizz, did you ever get your stand built. I know I was supposed to help ya out with it some but my life never seems to stop, always here, always there. If your still interested in me giving you a hand with the design, just let me know.
  • cfrizz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    No I never got it built & yes I would still like your help with the design.

Thanks,
    Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dane_peterson
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Spent 7 hrs on the stand today. My accomplishments today include:
    -All panels cut
    -Everything but doors primered and started painting
    -Picked out hinges
    -Custom cut pilasters for shelving
    -Routed pilastar grooves
    -Routed decor trim pieces

Didn't bring my camera, but I the shop is covered in drying panels. It's kind of a mess. Will get pics as soon as I begin assembly!
  • Grimster74
    edited July 2007
    Options
    So Dane, I'm taking it that you got my links for the Palisters, cool. The one thing I found is that the screws that come with the clips works great for mounting the palisters inside the channels.
  • dane_peterson
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I was thinking that too. I'll give it a try.
    Truth is, the pilasters were right in front of me every time I looked... I just needed the horizontal slotted ones. I was only looking at the vertical slotted, which is made more more industrial applications.
  • dane_peterson
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Not the greatest pic cuz it's from my phone, but I got the basic assembly completed last night.
  • Grimster74
    edited July 2007
    Options
    SWEET..., lookin good there Dane.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2007
    Options
    looking good,:) :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited July 2007
    Options
    very nice work
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Looks nice. Thats great your bro is helping. Send a better pic when you can. I am starting on a cabinet for the livingroom. I hope to glue it up today. I still havent decided on the finish. I am using birch. Maybe green stain?
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • dane_peterson
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the remarks, all. I should have some more work and pics up by Friday. Here's some info on my build...

For those wondering, I used:
    3/4" thick birch plywood (top, bottom, and sides)
    3/4" thick x 8" deep aspen (vertical shelving braces)
    1" x 1" aspen (routed for trimming)

1 coat of primer followed by 2 coats of semi-gloss black (150grit sanding between coats)

Fastening: 1/2" diameter wood dowels and finishing nails

I drilled all the way through for the outer four dowels on the top board. This was on accident, but I found a great solution. In the screws section at Fleet Farm, I found some black thumbtacks that were just over 1/2" in diameter. Hammered them into the tops of the wood dowels, and it cleaned the top board up real nice. I'll get close-ups soon.

One IMPORTANT tip is to use dustclothes to clean the boards before painting. Otherwise the surface is quite grainy after sanding, and ruins the finish.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I punch in the nails and fill with black filler. There is still a little lateral wobble, but that will be resolved with the addition of a backboard brace. The shelves should help too.

I sat on it last night with no bowing or creaking, so I'm quite confident it will support my plasma and the associated equipment. Can't wait to get it set up in my place!
  • dane_peterson
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Here's where I'm at after tonight:
    Tapped in the finishing nails, and patched most holes, imperfections, etc. It looks kind of crappy right now, but after sanding and one more coat of paint and this thing should be looking pretty darn good.

The first pic shows the black thumbtacks used to cover up the exposed dowels.

The last picture is the beginnings of the doors. The trim pieces will be tastefully veneer-matched to my upcoming speaker setup... the rest will be black.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Nice man. I love to see guys go out and DIY!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Grimster74
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I'm so glad to see someone else use the Palister idea, what an easy way to make sure you have plenty of flexability on adding and removing components. Lookin good by the way.
  • dane_peterson
    edited August 2007
    Options
    All right, guys. It's all over.

I ran into quite a few problems at the end, which is why it's taken so long to get a final pic up. The cabinet doors ended up needing to be different sizes (one side was a little smaller than the other) Then I shaved too much off the door, and had to start over.

The shelves BARELY fit. I had to knock them down into place, and have left a few nice battle scars, I'm sure. However, this should definitely improve the structural integrity of the stand.

So here it is. Definitely not perfect--the cabinets were by far the most challenging. But other than that, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Comments welcome.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2007
    Options
    sweet!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Very nice job. Purdy
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Grimster74
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Very nice, like the looks of it, job well done.
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Very well done! Congrats.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2007
    Options
    The new stand looks great. It is always fun to work out the problems when you have limited tools, space, time, ect. but when you complete it, you have a real sense of accomplishment. It doesnt hurt that you saved a ton of money. Good job!
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Looks awesome Dane!!

Now it's time for some cable management.;)
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited August 2007
    Options
    My store sells similar TV stands at 300.00+

Its a great looking stand, great job! What was your total dollar investment? (guessing you had all the tools and just needed to purchase the mats)
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • dane_peterson
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Mike, I still am planning on putting a backboard on this, and drill holes to clean it up. I'm just tired of working on it, so I need a little break. :)

Duksbak, I actually spent quite a bit. Bought router bits, some tools, lots of wood, more wood cuz I messed up, paint & brushes, painting gloves, shelving equipment, door metal grills, etc. Total investment was a little over $300, but it was a learning lesson more than anything.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,404
    edited August 2007
    Options
    You should feel proud. Nice looking and functional stand. Congrat's and enjoy!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~