2007 Acura TL

AndyGwis
AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone out here have a 2007 Acura TL or thinking of getting one?

My 3.2 CL Type S just crossed 100K mark a few days ago. Still running strong, but after driving American cars for years, I have a paranoia about driving anything with that many miles. Somehow think cars turn into ticking timebombs at about 80K miles. This one is still going strong, but still. . .

I think I can get one for a special offer of $28,899 - $1500 if I pay cash or find outside financing. Maybe even another $1000 - $1500 off with Dealer cash incentive. So, with TTL, looking at around $27,000 +/- a grand.

Good deal? I know the residual on Acuras isn't great, but I love Acuras mix of luxury, sportiness, reliability, customer service, and value.

Anyway, any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Also, do I trade my CL in, or fix up any incidentals (scratches, little dents, etc.) and try to sell on my own? Probably would throw it on CL like I do everything else :)

Thanks!
Gwis
Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
Post edited by AndyGwis on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    You need to be buying a house for you and that pretty lady that hangs out with you (for reasons I'll never know).

I'd buy an Acura with 100K on it and not think twice about driving it for another 5 years or more.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited July 2007
    Home plans are definitely in the works. But, with my girlfriend no graduating till December, we're keeping housing plans flexible until we figure out where she'll be working. No point buying a nice little townhouse up in Frisco now if she's working downtown or further in 6 months.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Roger that, what I was hinting to is - no point in getting locked down on another car payment for 5 to 7 years, when you may be trying to get financing on a house within the next 6-18 months.

If you are less than 2 years out, get (or keep) your numbers as good as possible.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2007
    Drive your car until it dies. Buying a car gives you a ton of gratification up front but I've found that dies rather quickly. Invest the money you would have spent on the car into an index fund or something similar and stash some more away into your 401k, if you have one. Also, use the money you save for a down payment on a house. I can never understand why people spend so much money on transportation. I've been driving my wife's 2000 Cavalier for the past few weeks WITHOUT AIR (she's driving mine with air and 50k less miles) and I'm just as happy driving her car as I am mine. I get home in the same mood as I would if I would have driven my car.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    I had an 02 Acura TL Type S. I got rid of it after about 1 year and a half. I would recomend you look at an IS350 (base) or a BMW 330i. You jsut cant beat RWD period and they are both a lot more sporty.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited July 2007
    If you do decide to buy a new car by all means sell the old one and use the cash towards the downpayment on the new one.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited July 2007
    That car should last you a long time it's an Acura!

I bought my 96 tl in 2000 with 80,000 miles. I just tripped 178K on it last week. The only thing major I've had to do was replace the radiator because the plastic side tank cracked.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    My wife car is an Acura TL-s we plan to keep it until about 300k if it last that long without serious trouble but I don't think that would be a problem.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited July 2007
    Remember that by trading in the car, you only pay taxes on the difference. For example, New car = $27,000.00, dealer says your trade-in is worth $10,000.00, you pay taxes on $17,000.00 Now, say that you are able to sell the car on your own for say $1,500.00 more privately. You have $11,500.00 to put down, but you pay taxes on the full $27K. The overall difference is in your favor slightly by selling it on your own, but it may be worth it to just trade it in(assuming they are giving you a fair value) so you don't have to go through the hassle of selling it yourself. And don't forget, you can always sell it to Carmax. They'll give you a free quote that's good for like 250 miles or 2 weeks, it will at least give you a ballpark number on what it's worth, generally closer to what you would get trade-in or possibly a little more.

You can verify this with any dealer, it's not like it's a big secret but more that the general population isn't always aware of. I used to sell cars about five years ago.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    If I were to buy a car today, the Acura TL would be at the top of my list. To me it strikes the perfect balance between sporty and classy.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    That car should last you a long time it's an Acura!

I bought my 96 tl in 2000 with 80,000 miles. I just tripped 178K on it last week. The only thing major I've had to do was replace the radiator because the plastic side tank cracked.

Actually my TL was ranked as just about the most unreliable car I have owned (10 Hondas, 1 Lexus, 1 Subaru, 1 Toyota). On the flip side, our old Acura 03 MDX was on the most reliable side. That TL/CL model year 01 to 05 was an extremely problematic model. Tranny, squeaks and rattles galor. I had a friend with a 02 like mine and he went through 2 tranny's on it in under 2 years. Our TL forums were usually packed with problems which as a Honda guy I found very odd and rare.

If you are serious about a TL, I would wait a bit until they come out with an AWD-SH model so you can consider it at least "sporty" :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,162
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't hesitate to drive it another 3-5 years, especially if you are the one who put the 100K on it. You know exactly what's been done, how its been driven and taken care of etc. Save your money and continue to drive it. They seem to be very reliable cars and of course you will have a few maintenance issues here and there, but in the end it will still be a whole lot cheaper than buying brand new.

YMMV

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!