My 1996 Honda Civic Install

black magic
black magic Posts: 669
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Okay, first I want to say that building this setup was one of the most enjoyable things I've EVER done.

This is my first complete system, so I want some feedback. I'm open to opinions and critisism but please no flaming. I spent a lot of time and money doing this and will not take very kindly any insults. I know I'm not the greatest installer (far from it), but I tried my best. This post doesn't contain the finished product because I cant finish all the fiberglassing until I lower my car (need access to that area of trunk). springs and shocks should be here any day now. I got tired of waiting, which is why i'm posting pics now.

I've had people ask me if I somehow got Polk to sponsor me. That question always make me laugh. NO I haven't, I dont think they'd be interested in sponsoring another civic. I just love they're equipment :D

Here is a list of the equipment that I Puchased:

Panasonic HU w/ Ipod interface
Polkaudio C500.1 x 3
Polkaudio C300.2 x 1
Polkaudio C400.4 x 1
Polkaudio MMC6500 x 1
Polkaudio MMC690 x 1
Polkaudio MMC525 x 1
Polkaudio MM2124 x 2
Polkaudio SR124DVC x 2
Absolute 1.8 farad cap
Rockford Fosgate, kicker and street wires wiring
Dynamat Xtreme damping everywhere
165 amp alternator

IMGP3251.jpg

I changed my plans a few times, and as such I didn't end up using the momo subwoofers, capacitor, one c500.1 and the 2 channel amplifier. I sold one momo sub, and gave the remaining sub and c300.2 to my brother.

First I had to throw in the deck and begin wiring
IMGP2611.jpg
IMGP0856.JPG

First there was installing the 5.25" (MMC525) speakers. Even though they are tiny speakers they still required some very little work to fit them (big magnet). The stock speakers that they replaced were 6.5". First I made my own adapters. the diameter is 6.5" but the hole is only 5.25". This way they fit in the stock location, and keep the 5.25's nice and snug. I was going to do some fiberglass work for these, but I dont want to do the work, plus I think I'd prefer the stock look anyways. Each speaker is getting about 60 watts.
IMGP2559.jpg
IMGP2501.jpg
IMGP2511.jpg
IMGP2514.jpg
IMGP2508.jpg
IMGP2573.jpg
IMGP3120.jpg
IMGP2569.jpg
IMGP2583.jpg
IMGP2585.jpg
IMGP2590.jpg
IMGP2591.jpg

Next are the 6.5" Momo components. I ordered kick panels for these about a month ago. Still havent arrived as they were on back order and being shipped from California (I live in Canada). So these components are kind of just chilling on the ground. But they sound great at 100 watts each.
IMGP2500.jpg

Here's something I did for no reason while in the midst of this install:
IMGP3377.jpg

Next up are the polk 6x9's. These are honestly like the best 6x9 speakers on the market. I was first a little upset when I hooked these up because they didn't sound as good as I'd hoped. But after about a week and a half, they let off some great midbass. I mounted these in a fiberglass panel that I made to replace the stock one (virated too much). I used the c400.4 to power these roughly 60 watts going to each speakers.
IMGP3232.jpg
IMGP3233.jpg
IMGP3236.jpg
IMGP3237.jpg
IMGP3239.jpg
IMGP3248.jpg
IMGP3263.jpg
IMGP3266.jpg
IMGP3300.jpg
IMGP3118.jpg
IMGP2721.jpg

Then there are the subs... this was prolly the most time consuming part of the install since I added my own amp rack at the back of the box. I used 2 SR124 DVC subwoofers and mounted them in a sealed fiberglass enclosure. Even though I'm only giving them each ~530 watts (as opposed to 700) they sound AMAZING! Anything I say about these subs will be an understatement. They let off SUCH clean bass... even at high levels. Seriously, I think I'm in love.
IMGP2667.jpg
IMGP2684.jpg
IMGP2688.jpg
IMGP3303.jpg
IMGP3312.jpg
IMGP2371.jpg
IMGP2769.jpg
IMGP2785.jpg
IMGP2795.jpg
IMGP2801.jpg
IMGP2804.jpg
IMGP2811.jpg
IMGP3289.jpg
IMGP3283.jpg
IMGP3307.jpg
IMGP3407.jpg

I haven't installed the rear panel or finished building the fiberglass around the subs yet, because I'm about to lower my car and need access to that area of the trunk to replace the shocks. So I cannot finish that until they are all here. I placed the order about 2 weeks ago, but they still aren't here :(

I'll post pics of the finished install as soon as my car is lowered and all the finishing touches are done. Meanwhile, here are a few (carpet hasnt all been glued/secured yet, as evident by the pics):
IMGP3400.jpg
IMGP3403.jpg
IMGP3402.jpg
IMGP3344-1.jpg
IMGP2784.jpg
IMGP3448.jpg
IMGP3193.jpg

Conclusion:
I couldnt be happier with this install. No, it isn't the greatest system ever but it honestly keeps me very pleased and proud of myself. It was everything I was looking for plus MUCH more. The 6.5" momo components sound excellent and they're tweeters are perfect for my taste. The subs let off waaay more bass than I was originally looking for, but i'm definitely not complaining. The mmc525 I didn't even really need, nor did I plan to buy, but they were included when I bought one of the amps and subs. If you're looking for speakers that sound great and arn't too expensive, these are them! They sound great, not anything spectacular but they surely put the stock speakers they replaced to shame. Finally there are the 6x9's. Like I said, I think these are the best on the market. They have excellent mid-bass and are great for rear fill (gotta please the passengers as well :D). Just a word to some people out there who may not already know. Polk speakers tend to have a long break-in period. So when you first install your speakers they wont sound their best. But after giving em time to break-in, amazing sound is headed your way!
POLK AUDIO = W00TNESS! Up next is an engine swap and turbo! woohoo! :D

Future plans:
Maybe replace the mmc6500 with the SR6500 components up front. Then I might need another amp. Something similar to the c300.2. This isn't likey to happen because I am very pleased with my current seup and I have other work I'd like to get done to my car. But who knows. Maybe I'll come accross an extra $600, though. You never know.
Post edited by black magic on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2007
    Very nicely done, congrats!
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    Looks good. Only thing I would have done different is use fleece for the box. It soaks up a lot more resin. Also, if you do most of your mat inside the box, its makes sanding much easier :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • black magic
    edited July 2007
    Thanks guys. And I will definitely use those tips next time. Especially the mat idea. Can't believe I didn't think of that. I HATE sanding!
  • noobaslt
    noobaslt Posts: 26
    edited July 2007
    very nice install :) congrats
    Pioneer DEH-P880PRS
    db6501
    more coming soon.... :rolleyes:
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,660
    edited July 2007
    Nice job and thanks for the photo's.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2007
    Very nice first install. I do have a couple of questions/comments:

1. If you are doing Q-Forms with the 6500's you might want to lose the door speakers. It's just going to screw up your stage and linearity.

2. If you planning on doing anymore installs of this caliber, PLEASE buy a router. Then your sub rings won't look like a beaver cut them out LOL.

3 You've got the stretching technique down, but you need a little practice at spreading filler. Is it old filler by any chance? It looks really dry. Call your local body shop supply and try Evercoat Z-Grip or Rage Gold. A little under $30 for a gallon.

4. How are you going to finish the box? Paint, wrap?

5. Is that box big enough for those 2 twelves? Did you measure it after you built it?

Anyway, enquiring minds want to know.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    DynaElite is another good filler
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited July 2007
    First of all AWESOME JOB! I couldn't tell it was your first. Anyways how do those Polk amps sound? I'm talking about for your clarity and everything. And another thing....did you use 2 C500.1? Like one for each sub? And then did u use the C400.4 for ur fronts and backs?
  • black magic
    edited July 2007
    Josh wrote: »
    Very nice first install. I do have a couple of questions/comments:

1. If you are doing Q-Forms with the 6500's you might want to lose the door speakers. It's just going to screw up your stage and linearity.
    I thought about that and an employee at a local audio shop mentioned the same thing to me. I didn't really order those speakers in the door. They were just included in one of my purchases. I could definitely get rid of them they mess around with the staging.
    2. If you planning on doing anymore installs of this caliber, PLEASE buy a router. Then your sub rings won't look like a beaver cut them out LOL.
    I'll definitely look into a router. I havent heard of that device before. Right now I have this mastercraft thing, which is more like a drill which is supposed to be used for making holes. But It takes forever to cut and i lost patience so I used a jigsaw. Now that I think about it, perhaps it would have been worth the wait.
    3 You've got the stretching technique down, but you need a little practice at spreading filler. Is it old filler by any chance? It looks really dry. Call your local body shop supply and try Evercoat Z-Grip or Rage Gold. A little under $30 for a gallon.
    I agree i need a lot more experience. I used bondo body filler. I couldn't find anything that was specific to fiberglass and a friend recommend it. I used the specified amount of hardener and did most of the work the day i bought it. However, I'll definitely look into Evercoat Z-Grip, DynaElite or Rage Gold next time.
    4. How are you going to finish the box? Paint, wrap?
    I'd like to paint it. Either dark green to match with the car, or black to match with the subs. I havent yet decided. The painting process isn't one that I like because its really really long, but I hope to get it done.
    5. Is that box big enough for those 2 twelves? Did you measure it after you built it?
    The enclosure is just under 2.4 cu ft. at first it was going to be 2.08 cu ft because I was going to use one 10 and one 12, but i decided against it.
    Anyway, enquiring minds want to know.
    I'd be too! Thx for all the info! I'm still quite a rookie at this so your feedback is important to me. If I'm up to it, I might re-do the lousy enclosureonce I'm done with an engine swap.
    First of all AWESOME JOB! I couldn't tell it was your first. Anyways how do those Polk amps sound? I'm talking about for your clarity and everything. And another thing....did you use 2 C500.1? Like one for each sub? And then did u use the C400.4 for ur fronts and backs?

Thanks! yes, each sub has its own amp. the c500.1 is wired for a 2 ohm load for a little over 500 watts each. and the c400.4 is used for the front and rear. Honestly, I couldn't say how well the amps sound. I didn't test the speakers with any different amps. If they weren't polk amps, I'd have Alpine, JL or Zapco. These polks perform really well, though. I'm quite happy. :D
  • Tim B.
    Tim B. Posts: 105
    edited July 2007
    looking good
    Car Audio System:
    Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    Front Stage: Hertz Millie MLK 2
    Sub: Hertz Millie ML3000
    Amplifier: Audison LRx 5.1K
    Battery: Kinetik KHC 1400 Power Cell

Home Theater System:
    Panasonic TH-42PX50U Plasma HD TV
    Denon AVR-3805 7.1 Recevier
    Denon DVD 1910
    Yamaha DVD-C750
    X-Box: Moded with 300 Gig Hard Drive
    Paradigm PS-1000 Subwoofer
    Bay Audio Studio Monitors: Fronts - CubeXL, Center - Cube, Side & Rear Surrounds - Mini Cubes (http://www.bayaudio.com/cubexl.html)
  • black magic
    edited July 2007
    Thanks!

Hey, Josh, I also wanted to shout out a huge thank you to you also. That Rage Gold filler makes a huge difference. I had to make a dozen phone calls before I found someone that carried it. Even though it cost $60, it is well worth the price. Its so much easier to work with. I'm using it to finish whats left of my install.

IMGP3470.jpg
    IMGP3471.jpg
    IMGP3478.jpg
    IMGP3480.jpg

I actually want your guys' suggestion on something.... So currently the plan is to paint this rear panel black. I found some carbon fiber vinyl that matches awesome with the speakers. I might also be using it on small parts of my interior and I think it'd look good on the rear deck instead of the black paint. what do you all think?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    any opinions on the vinyl carbon fiber?

yuck! You could integrate a real piece of carbon fiber for an accent.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Very nice work dude. Kudos.

My only comments are about the box size. It does look a little smallish. Not questioning your math skills but you might want to recheck that.

- Ignore Josh. Real men use jigsaws! :D

- Since the MMC6500 is mounted to the door panel, I suggest investing $80 in a Dynamat door kit and laying several layers around the speaker.

- Ive been saying for years that the MMC690 is the best coaxial on the market! Couldnt agree more.

- I love that you finished the trunk with carpet. Im not a fan of painted fiberglass at all. I love the "stock" look of carpet. To me it just looks more elegant and like it came from the factory with it.

- For your rear deck, Id rather go with vinyl than anything fancy. See above.

- Also love how you saved a ton of trunk space. That is esseintially how my system is installed...well minus the good craftmanship.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    edited July 2007
    Thanks man. I'll pull out the enclosure when I'm building the panel that'll go over it to measure it again. I think you guys actually might be right. Because today, it sounded a tiny but muddy/distorted when i turned it up (it was at about 80%... I usually never turn it up that high). That could have been b/c the gain was pretty high also, though.

I also found some carbon fiber cloth, not locally because its damn near impossible unless you're looking to pay quite an unreasonable. Apparently that vinyl stuff is just a knock-off. This stuff is the real deal. :)

This is what I'm looking at getting:
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?process=checkout&part=5374

RPCAR57-1.jpg