Need ideas for mounting a 50" plasma

Options
mox
mox Posts: 87
edited July 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
currently, I have a beautiful cherry 5 piece wall unit. It is one of those that expands and contracts originally built for rear projection tvs.
The problem is putting a plasma in there. Nothing to mount it to since the unit does not have a back in the center. I thought about just putting a small stand inside the big unit and sitting my plasma on there.
Any creative ideas?

Another option is to sell it and sit my plasma on top of an existing rack system and put my LSi9 on either side.
Post edited by mox on

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2007
    Options
    If you sell it there is a cabinet that will hold a 50" plasma above the cabinet so that it seems to float above the unit. All the components will be stored in the cabinet below. i think Walmart carries cheaper version. I will look for a pic of it.

If you don't want to sell it, buy a wall mount and mount it to the wall in the space between the two towers.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Lets see if this works.

The other one I am thinking about has a smaller arm so it is not as obvious across the room.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • mox
    mox Posts: 87
    edited July 2007
    Options
    thats a good idea. The problem with mounting it between the two towers is it will be recessed too far back I am afraid. I have only seen one mount that will horizontally extend the plasma screen and it was just under $500.
    Another problem with that would be the big open space just below the screen. The center channel will reside above the screen on another connecting piece. If I could find a matching cherry stand to just sit in there, that would probably look ok too.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Does it necessarily need to be mounted? I kind of like my 50 sitting on this piece of furniture, which houses 5 or 6 components.

NewHT1-1.jpg
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I will be getting delivered this Saturday a Mits WD57831 DLP. It will be sitting on a console with a marble top. Eight components will fit inside the console - still not enough space. I had to relegate my CD burner to my BR system.
    [
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2007
    Options
    A DIY idea I am toying around with is to take two DishTV mounting posts and make a mounting fixture with them. I'm talking about the posts that the dish mounts to.

The tube can be any length needed, use two of the mounting flanges, one on each end. The flanges are angle adjustable and mount one side to the wall / floor / plywood slab and fab a piece for the other end to hold the tv. Adjust the length and angle needed.

Check with some local installers as they often remove the old units and dump them. Some imagination / assembly required.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<