How to Fix Internet Explorer Home Page??

MikeC78
MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm having issues with the home page when I open Internet explorer. I'm sure the wife clicked on something, and now I have no idea on how to "un*uck" it?

The problem is that no matter what I choose for the home page, it automatically goes to **WARNING DO NOT CLICK ON URL**http://awebsecurity.com/. I change to something different as say "yahoo", and the page will auto turn to that ^awebsecurity?

Anyone have a solution? I even went into the programs/C drive and deleted everything that was related with no such luck. BTW, there is a toolbar also.

Thanks for any help!

Mike
Post edited by MikeC78 on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    Sounds like a little virus you have there - I found a bunch of similar problems on the web, but no solutions posted. Run all the usuals (virus scanner, AdAware, Spybot).

Long term solution? Use Firefox instead of IE, and teach your wife not to click on things :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Sounds like a little virus you have there - I found a bunch of similar problems on the web, but no solutions posted. Run all the usuals (virus scanner, AdAware, Spybot).

Long term solution? Use Firefox instead of IE, and teach your wife not to click on things :)

Thanks Bob!

I have done all as said, again with no such luck.:( Your long term solution is easier said than done.:o
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited July 2007
    Try downloading and running this program from Trend Micro.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited July 2007
    Sounds like a common spyware/ hijacker. Try these free online scans:

Ewido.net

Trend Micro
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    Checking out Ewido right now, tried all the others.

Thanks guys!
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    jgido759 wrote: »
    Try downloading and running this program from Trend Micro.

AGREED. saved my **** many a time.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    AGREED. saved my **** many a time.

Just not mine.:(

Running Ewido right now, and it is picking up a lot of tracking cookies. Hopefully this fixes it?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Just change it in the registry, open regedit - search for awebyaddayadda.com - it should bring up a 'start page' key for IE. Change the value, done.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Just change it in the registry, open regedit - search for awebyaddayadda.com - it should bring up a 'start page' key for IE. Change the value, done.

Russ,

Can you please elaborate a little more in depth, I'm slightly computer illiterate.:o

Thanks,

Mike
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited July 2007
    Goto...

Start > Run

Type REGEDIT and navigate to the path he indicated. **Edit - I thought he gave you the path. You can do the search for the startup page while in REGEDIT or simply navigate to...

** HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Internet Explorer > Main
    Once there look for the Key named 'Start Page' - You can double click on it to edit it. **Warning** changing registry entries is not for the beginner so be sure to navigate and change only what has been indicated above.

I had your issue happen to me before and tried the above first but it did not work since the program causing the change keeps changing the registry entry everytime its fired off. If you say you have a tool bar, you have to go delete\Disable the installed program in IE

Goto your IE menu > Tools > Internet Options > Programs > Manage Add Ons. Once there, Disbale anything that resembles your startup page or suspicious looking toolbar programs.

Once you have done this, it may have embedded itself in your startup routine so then you need to goto

Start > Run and then type 'msconfig'

Goto the last tab called Startup and uncheck anything that looks suspicious.

Can’t say this will solve it as these pesky programs are all different but equally annoying. Also, there was no program out there that eliminated or found my issue. I had to do all of the above and then search the registry to clean all remnants of the installed programs.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited July 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    Goto...

Start > I had this happen to me before and tried this but it did not work because the program causing the change keeps changing the registry entry.

Exactly, usually when I see hijacks there's a program that makes sure it stays put, so its good to find the root cause. Your cookies probably aren't doing it either, they're just footprints of the sites you've been to (and may store tracking information).

Let Ewido finish, and try the Trend Micro one, and let us know how it goes. Msconfig is good to check, as mentioned before. You can check/ uncheck things to see if it works. Google anything suspicious looking.
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    Thanks guys!

I actually Googled the problem and found several people with the same issue! There was a couple programs that I tried that totally eliminated it, and made the computer run better to boot!:)
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2007
    Make sure it is spybot search and destroy and not any other spybot program. Great free program and it updates regularly. AVG is a nice antivirus program.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.