Thinking on jumping to a...Mac

Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
I do tons of photo editing and my 1 year old 3ghz dualcore 2gb RAM PC still bogs down at times and struggles with Photoshop CS2. It's not a memory issue or anything else except for...WINDOWS! Such a pain in the ****!

Some IT Geeks I work with showed me their Macs and they are nothing short of stunning. We're a Windows and Linux based business, but these guys swear by their Macs. I now see why that platform is the standard in the photo, video and special effects industry.

Yeah, I posted in the past bashing Macs and standing up for Windows, but I saw first hand how polished and streamlined the Macs really are.

An iMac is in my near future!

John
No excuses!
Post edited by Strong Bad on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    You want to do hardcore editing and are looking at an iMac??

At least get a powerful Mac instead of some "designer" crap.

Macs are certainly good at what you're trying to use them for, as long as you know their shortcomings and are OK with them (and you don't buy an iMac), good luck!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited July 2007
    Actually,

Today's iMac is not bad for what you want to do. Just make sure you put enough memory in it and get CS3.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2007
    I am going to get a Mac for my next computer. I am looking at getting one of the powerbooks. My friend has one and had convinced me to want to get one. I will still keep my windows machine though.
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    My only experience wiht iMacs was a few generations back, so they may have improved, but they were really cheap, and really slow, especially by Apple standards. My friend went through two of them dying on her before giving up completely.
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    Fireman

You don't necessarily have to keep your PC. Macs will now boot windows even Vista which MS had blocked!

Bobman

All I can say was that was before the intel procs bro. They are smoking now. Before I got my hands on the new ones I would not consider the all-in-one machines. Then I noticed 2 things-1. the only things I have upgraded in my old tower were HD and memory and 2. with intel core2duo procs and enough memory these things rock. If you can go to an Apple store to try it out!

BTW If I were doing image and video editing I would go with the 24 incher. Oh and there is chatter on the 'net about a new one for back to school.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    We would all be using MACs right now, if they had shared their architecture like IBM back in the day.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    But then the mac os would be so full of virus's and malware, no thank you. I like my relative obscurity.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    Don't care if this comes off as bashing, because I think Macs are a fine product. I did my research (thread here somewhere) when I was looking to get a new computer. I was SOLD on Macs right off the bat.

Then, I started looking into them more.

Hideously overpriced. Period.

They seem to be more of a fashion statement than anything else these days.

You can get way more PC for the money than you'll ever get out of a Mac.

It's a myth that Macs are the be all and end all in photo editing. I use a PC with an authentic copy of Adobe Photoshop CS3 and it works juuuust fine. Not to mention, you can actually upgrade your PC. Good luck upgrading your Mac after you drop 3Gs on the son of a **** and it's obsolete in 2 years or less.

If you're into serious video editing and music recording, then I would say go Mac. If not, there's no reason to buy one unless you like the retarded easy interface and just have money to piss away.

Either way, hope you get what you want!
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    Demiurge,

I want you to show me spec for spec how a mac is "hideously overpriced". It has been shown time and time again that since the switch to intel, that just is not the case. As a matter of fact, you can get a Mac Pro (intel) for less than a G5 power mac (ppc). Be back in a bit with links.

Just go here. After you go there type mac vrs. pc prices into a google search. You will see that what you say is the the way it USED to be.

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2006/0809_dt3200.html

You see, what has hurt apple for a long time is that they configure their machines a little more compltet than other pc makers and so initial cost is higher. but upgrade that pc to the level that the mac is and the price advantage goes away.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    Why isn't anyone asking him about his current system?

3ghz dual core with 2GB RAM? That thing should be SMOKIN. You don't need a new computer, you need to find out why yours seems slow.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    phuz wrote: »

3ghz dual core with 2GB RAM? That thing should be SMOKIN. You don't need a new computer, you need to find out why yours seems slow.

Time to RELOAD :)

Start fresh.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2007
    I've switched from PC's to Mac's and I'll never go back. Easier, more fun to use and no PC malware & viruses to worry about. We have a Macbook & an iMac and love them both.

& I agree w/xsmi, you get a load w/a Mac.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2007
    uh oh... I sense a fan boy showdown! Break out the pocket protectors!
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    No because I refuse to fight anymore on this subject, fought from 1997-2002, all fought out. It is surprising though that some of the same arguments made back then are still recycled when most have been addressed. I would still like to see more games on the mac though...
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited July 2007

I agree... John, what video card do you have? With that class of machine, it should be decently powerful. Adding a good video card, or even a 10K rpm hard drive could take it to the next level.

BTW: That's all I have to contribute. I've seen the Mac's in our company's graphics department... and they 'look' absolutely stunning. I don't know what it is about their monitors or graphics engine, but I always come away impressed. That being said, I've never tried to use one.
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    It is amazing that the same arguments are floating around that I used to see in 1995 on dial-up BBS's.

Who wants to argue Netscape vs Internet Explorer?
  • phuz
    edited July 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    It is amazing that the same arguments are floating around that I used to see in 1995 on dial-up BBS's.

Who wants to argue Netscape vs Internet Explorer?

Or Redhat Vs. Slackware.

Apple has come a LONG way. I've owned several, and will own more. I like to diversify and stay up on EVERYTHING. :p
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    Bobman,

do you remember the first commercial browser? a little browser called Mosaic. When it came into the store in 1993, I was the only computer salesman who knew what the internet was. Mosaic came in a box that looked like a brown paper bag.

Dylan,

The video card will not make much difference with PS because it is 2D. Most of the video cards on the market today work hard on 3D performance. I do think if he does some system maintenance on his machine he will realize some improvement in performance.
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    I remember Mosaic, though i don't think I played with it much - I was only 13 when it came out, and I had just gotten my first PC. I remember discovering BBSs, and there was one free BBS I used to connect to that actually offered free external internet email! I could actually email with all of my lucky or rich friends who had AOL! And they had just upgraded their modems to run 14.4, so they were blazing fast.

:)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited July 2007
    Reasons I will never buy a MAC:

1 - I don't like their marketing. Yeah, I know "that Apple ad in 1984 was the greatest commercial ever". Whatever, I don't like their marketing. I feel like I'm being misled and lied to...Bose anyone?

2 - I like to tweak my PC alot, and customzie things to exactly the way I want them. You can't do this as much on a MAC. Sure they're easy to use, but that comes at a price.

3 - Lack of software support. Yeah there's lots of software out there for MAC, good luck getting Crysis to play on your Mac.

4 - High price - So MAC USED to rape you with their prices but now they're better - is that the best you can come up with? I'm sorry, once you've screwed me over as a consumer, you don't get multiple chances to do it again and again.

5 - Oh but MACs are technically a better OS, they run so much better. They're built on UNIX!!!! Seriously, if you were buying a MAC because it has the best OS, then you wouldn't be buying a MAC, you'd be buying a Solaris box or a Linux box. That's just something that MAC people say to help justify spending gobs of money on your mac.

5a - Let's think about WHY the MAC machines run so 'well'. I bet it has something to do with the fact that they don't have to build in support for all those devices and software titles that Windows supports that Mac doesn't. That's what makes Windows below it's potential speed, they have to build in support for basically everything on the market. This is why your upgrade options on a MAC are quite a bit limited when compared to a Windows based PC.

6 - Don't even get me started on all the "you can only play your iTunes songs and movies on an Apple ipod thing, that pissed me off to no end,. I made the mistake of buying Season 3 of the Office on iTunes (was the only place I can find it), only to find out that I can't play it on any of my media players, only on an ipod - wtf is that all about.

That Mac guy was pretty cool in the new Die Hard movie, though it didn't make me want to go buy a Mac.

FWIW, I also hate Microsoft, but for a different set of reasons.
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    Hey kid, lol. Yeah my first modem was 9600k. Unfortunately I used the BBS's for less than honorable purposes. My 55MB hard drive was full of ...um.... well you know what I mean.
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »

1 - I don't like their marketing. Yeah, I know "that Apple ad in 1984 was the greatest commercial ever". Whatever, I don't like their marketing. I feel like I'm being misled and lied to...Bose anyone?

2 - I like to tweak my PC alot, and customzie things to exactly the way I want them. You can't do this as much on a MAC. Sure they're easy to use, but that comes at a price.

3 - Lack of software support. Yeah there's lots of software out there for MAC, good luck getting Crysis to play on your Mac.

4 - High price - So MAC USED to rape you with their prices but now they're better - is that the best you can come up with? I'm sorry, once you've screwed me over as a consumer, you don't get multiple chances to do it again and again.

5 - Oh but MACs are technically a better OS, they run so much better. They're built on UNIX!!!! Seriously, if you were buying a MAC because it has the best OS, then you wouldn't be buying a MAC, you'd be buying a Solaris box or a Linux box. That's just something that MAC people say to help justify spending gobs of money on your mac.

5a - Let's think about WHY the MAC machines run so 'well'. I bet it has something to do with the fact that they don't have to build in support for all those devices and software titles that Windows supports that Mac doesn't. That's what makes Windows below it's potential speed, they have to build in support for basically everything on the market. This is why your upgrade options on a MAC are quite a bit limited when compared to a Windows based PC.

6 - Don't even get me started on all the "you can only play your iTunes songs and movies on an Apple ipod thing, that pissed me off to no end,. I made the mistake of buying Season 3 of the Office on iTunes (was the only place I can find it), only to find out that I can't play it on any of my media players, only on an ipod - wtf is that all about.

That Mac guy was pretty cool in the new Die Hard movie, though it didn't make me want to go buy a Mac.

Oh I love you guys so much!! :D

I am going to unsubscribe to this thread.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    xsmi wrote: »
    Demiurge,

I want you to show me spec for spec how a mac is "hideously overpriced". It has been shown time and time again that since the switch to intel, that just is not the case. As a matter of fact, you can get a Mac Pro (intel) for less than a G5 power mac (ppc). Be back in a bit with links.

Just go here. After you go there type mac vrs. pc prices into a google search. You will see that what you say is the the way it USED to be.

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2006/0809_dt3200.html

You see, what has hurt apple for a long time is that they configure their machines a little more compltet than other pc makers and so initial cost is higher. but upgrade that pc to the level that the mac is and the price advantage goes away.

There are umpteen configurations, places to buy from, blah blah blah when it comes to PCs, so I think getting into that pissing contest is something I will pass on.

My girlfriend has a MacBook Pro, which is what I was going to buy long before we started dating. It's a great computer, but it isn't worth what she paid for it to me.

I record my own music as a hobby and run 3DSMaxPro & CS3 on my machine. I have no problems whatsoever, and I put maybe $1,700 into it.

Not sure what to say, but if you're building your own machine, which any braindead monkey can do, the PC is the most cost effective option.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007

Yep. Thats what I was going to post. I would run antivirus, check for spyware, defrag discs, just get your computer in general cleaned up again. Or if you are like me, just do a fresh install of everything and reformat your hard drive. Photoshop in general is a beast of a program and can use a lot of processing power, but your computer sounds like its pretty powerful. I'd try and fix what you already have.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2007
    You can build or buy a PC MUCH cheaper than you can get a Mac of equal performance. Look what I just built last month:

Gigabyte DS3-965P motherboard - $99
    Intel E4300 Core2 Duo CPU - $114
    FOUR (4) Gigs of Super Talent DDR2 RAM - $113
    250 GB SATA2 Seagate HD - $50
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 320mb Video Card - $229 ($20 rebate)
    Enermax Liberty 500w power supply - $109
    Antec P180 case - $79

My computer runs stock at 1.8ghz and I have it overclocked to 3.3ghz on the stock cooler. This whole system ran me $793! The new quad core Intel chips are coming out very soon and will be starting at ~$200. So, add another $100 or so to this system (up to $900) and you will have a quad core system that costs $1500 less than a Mac Pro and will be just as fast. Hell, mine has 4x the RAM and my video card is 10x faster than what comes in the Mac Pros.

Don't get me wrong, my brother has a dual dual-core Mac Pro and it's a great machine. I prefer OS X over any version of Windows but when it comes down to it, there's no way in hell I'm paying over $1000 for a new PC, let alone $2500!

Peace out! :D
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2007
    LOL, this debate will never end. Both sides are right, and both sides are wrong. It all comes down to doing your homework and buying what works for you. Deals can be had that make whatever you buy a wise financial purchase.

I will say that everyone should reformat and reinstall twice a year to keep their performance up, and eliminate wasted space.

As for me, I have a Mac laptop at home and a windows laptop for my classroom. It's six of one and a half dozen of the other...PERIOD
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited July 2007
    A bunch of nerds I tell you.:D

I was lost after post #3.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • phuz
    edited July 2007
    A bunch of nerds I tell you.:D

We prefer the term geek, and it pays the bills... AND THEN SOME. ;)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »

Gonna have to pretty much agree with this post and I’ve been using PC's since the day of the Apple 2, i8088 and the C64.

Mac's failure and continued failure independent of great marketing is a closed architecture period. If there’s one thing that fails in the home/business PC market its closed architectures. All Apple products are closed architecture period. People are already complaining about it on the IPhone.. well duh.

There an innate nature of p[people and PC’s that most people like to just “figure them out”… swap parts, sup them up. PC’s are like the USA, free market. Apples are like commies… Do what we tell you to do and don’t mess around.

I'll strait up tell you that in my 25 years directly working with "PC's" (mac or not) you will never be able to just buy a PC and use it, you will need to "learn" it because eventually you will have to "fix" it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    I'll strait up tell you that in my 25 years directly working with "PC's" (mac or not) you will never be able to just buy a PC and use it, you will need to "learn" it because eventually you will have to "fix" it.

I was wondering about this with Macs. I've never owned one, and most people swear by them. I like the fact that they are less susceptible to virueses and more stable than Windows. And they always appear to be a couple of steps ahead of Microsoft in terms of innovation and ease of use.
    But my question is -- do Macs break down as often as PCs? I assumed that PCs break down more often mainly because of viruses. Is that true?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."