psw250 setup confusion

Options
headroom
headroom Posts: 2
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
I have set up a psw-250 with a pioneer vsx-d498 receiver, using the sub out feature to the line level input on sub with a single monster cable.I understand that most sub out features on receivers are filtered and setting up sub through speaker level inputs is most desirable for bass management. My ? is, my receiver has a feature called "low cut filter on/off setting mode"
LCF ON/OFF, also crossover freq.setting 100hz, 150hz, or 200hz
and settings for large or small speakers. Does setting LCF to "off" cancel the sub out filter,meaning that the bass at the sub wont
be double filtered?I'm confused about this. My configuration is this... r10s front set to small ,center small,rear small. receiver cross over set to 100hz to the sub. Low cut filter set to "off". I just want to know if my sub is still being double filtered. Thank you for your support.
Post edited by headroom on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for contributing to the Forum. I imagine the "low cut filter on/off" is referring to the high pass filter that effects the main speakers (the reason I say this is another way of saying "low cut" is "high pass"). However, here's a way you can test this theory. Switch off all of the speakers, do this by turning off any surround sound effects and select "off"at the front panel speaker selector. The goal is to have just the sub-woofer playing, none of the other speakers. Then begin playing a well recorded CD, if you have a solo piano that would be fine. Then adjust the variable low pass filter on the PSW250 all of the way clockwise to the maximum setting. Listen to the sound produced by the sub-woofer, note how much middle and upper frequencies you hear. Then go through the setup choice for the low cut filter, on the receiver, repeat the same music selection seeing if you hear any changes in what's being produced by the PSW250. With the filter on, set to the lowest setting, there should be dramatically reduced output from the sub-woofer. If my theory is correct, there won't be any changes, the sub-out frequency remains un-changed at any setting. When you find the results, please let our fellow readers know.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger
  • lbrenner
    lbrenner Posts: 33
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Don't you love those clearly worded instruction manuals? Usually, a "low pass filter" would be what you're trying to eliminate in the receiver. I'm boldly guessing a "low cut filter" might just be the high pass filter to everything else!

There's an easy way to find out, though, if you have another device that takes a line-level input, like another receiver/amp, TV, etc. as long as you can connect a decent speaker to it. They you could listen to your sub out independently, and probably hear what difference all those settings really make.
  • headroom
    headroom Posts: 2
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Thanks for your help Ken. You were right about your theory.
    I have tried both hook ups. speaker wire and single cable sub out feature to the line level input on sub. Both sounded good but, I will use the sub out since I spent so much on the sub cable. My set up is...r10s front and back, reciever setting front small,center small, rear small, reciever crossover below 100hz to sub (gives r10s more bass),low cut filter off and sub crossover all the way clockwise. I have a small 15' x 12' room and this sounds best to me. Thanks for your support.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    You're certainly welcome, glad to be of help. I'm glad you have the system working properly.
    Take care, Ken