sounding off

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
I sold a Luxman receiver to a friend last week for $80 because he told me he didn't have a Luxman in his collection of gear and had always wanted to try one out.

Well, guess what? Yup.. he is selling it on Ebay.. and of course making twice the profit I sold it to him for.. and it's still climbing with one day left. No doubt he'll make a nice profit from the sale on Ebay..

but what friend does this to another friend?

I know it's his to do whatever he wants to do with it.. i sold it to him. but I also never thought he'd turn around and sell it lickity split like that.. and I did clean it and had it serviced for him.. i could have sold it myself and gotten more for it.. but friends take care of each other still right?

Well he's still my friend, but i'll never sell him another piece of stereo gear. :mad:
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Thats a bit underhanded.Atleast he should have asked you first.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • danger boy
    edited July 2007
    Options
    agreed, since he did tell me to my face that he wanted it for his collection. not to flip it and make a profit.

lesson learned on my part for sure.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited July 2007
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    Well, guess what? Yup.. he is selling it on Ebay.. and of course making twice the profit I sold it to him for.. and it's still climbing with one day left. No doubt he'll make a nice profit from the sale on Ebay..

but what friend does this to another friend?
    Ouch, that was cold.
    danger boy wrote: »
    Well he's still my friend, but i'll never sell him another piece of stereo gear. :mad:

With friends like that...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Yeah, that ain't right! I'd stick him with the bill for a nice dinner sometime in the future :)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Options
    With friends like that you don't need enemies!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Effed up, that is all I can say. That's a really backhanded move.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Just ask him how he is enjoying the receiver about a week after the auction is over. How he answers that question will say a lot.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Be the high bidder....then stiff him.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2007
    Options
    shack wrote: »
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Just ask him how he is enjoying the receiver about a week after the auction is over. How he answers that question will say a lot.
    Two great ideas!:D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Two great ideas!:D

I would do both, just think of it as giving an important life lesson to a "friend".
    V
  • danger boy
    edited July 2007
    Options

that's evil, but I like it. :p
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    Options

Awesome idea.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Excellent! :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Ask him a question via ebay....... How much for buy it now price?.... To a friend :D :eek: :D or better yet have everyone that reads this thread ask seller a question about how long he has had this? and why is he selling so quickly? lol.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Send him an email notifying him of your decision to revoke his "friend" status to that of Asshat...................
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I think maybe you just let him know that you've seen the Luxman on ebay and were wondering why he's selling it. That puts the ball in his court to give you an explanation.
    My vote is to give your still friend an opportunity to explain himself. I find that when we just ride in w/guns blazing, seeking revenge or the opportunity to vent our anger, we usually make things worse. & Ignoring it just drives a wedge between you and hurts the friendship. Just asking the guy gives you an opportunity to talk and for him to fess up.
    Then you go from there.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I dunno, I like revenge better. There is NO excuse for that...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited July 2007
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I dunno, I like revenge better. There is NO excuse for that...
    -Cody
    SWEET REVENGE
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2007
    Options
    You can't let this pass without saying something. Tell him that you were suprised and don't appreciate what he's done. Tell him that you thought he would have offered to sell it back to you, before offering it up on eBay. Tell him that's what you would have done for him. If he offers to sell it back, take it. If he offers money from the auction, take it. Let him know your feelings in a friendly, but direct manner. Don't sugar coat the message.
    Carl

• MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Kill him. Sneak in at 3am, and just finish him off... seems like the only logical solution to me ;)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Revenge only makes two people wrong.

Take the higher road.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I think maybe you just let him know that you've seen the Luxman on ebay and were wondering why he's selling it. That puts the ball in his court to give you an explanation.
    My vote is to give your still friend an opportunity to explain himself. I find that when we just ride in w/guns blazing, seeking revenge or the opportunity to vent our anger, we usually make things worse. & Ignoring it just drives a wedge between you and hurts the friendship. Just asking the guy gives you an opportunity to talk and for him to fess up.
    Then you go from there.

yup that's what I'd do, or maybe revenge, probably this thou
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited July 2007
    Options
    If it bugs you, mention it to him. If your friendship doesn't survive this then he's probably just a fairweather friend.

It would have bugged me. He should have told you he changed his mind and then proceeded to ask you if you wanted them back.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited July 2007
    Options

Hehe.......perfect!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited July 2007
    Options
    That is deplorable. It would make me rexamine the whole friendship. You just don't so that to friend. Maybe a few years down the road after he'd enjoyed it he could put in on e-bay or better yet, give you first rigt of refusal. I like the idea of bidding it up and then stiffing him. Too bad that could come to bite you in the form of negative feedback on your ebay account.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Danger Boy,Past experience has taught me not to put much faith in human nature.it helps keep me from being too disapointed by other peoples actions. sad but true! thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Maybe he meant that he did not have any Luxmans in his store and maybe he really did want to try one just to hear it but not keep it. He does have a vintage audio store so he may have just assumed that you knew he was going to re-sell it?

I would just ask him. Usually these things are a mix up. Especially if he is a friend.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Then you go from there.

This and Wingnuts approach are solid. You need to find out what his story is.

Maybe he will give you some money?

Maybe he needs some fast cash?

Maybe he hated the unit?

And maybe he is an ****?

Find out.

Take the high road.
  • Polk user
    Polk user Posts: 311
    edited July 2007
    Options
    What your "friend" did is inexcusable. It's something a 10 year old does to another 10 year old and as a parent if my kid did it I would force him to return it to you "gratis" and apologize. He would lose the $80 and hopefully learn a lesson on how you treat people.

When an adult does this, it says to me he is a pr!#k. He is not your friend. If I had an ebay account I would bid $250 and raise it if need be(hint to anyone who has a fleabay account they can burn). I might even report the unit stolen and tell the police you found it listed on Ebay. He is not your friend so don't worry about burning bridges.