Looking for ideas on DVD storage.

fatchowmein
fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Where are you guys and gals storing your DVD collections? I have 400+ movies crammed into two Ikea shelves and another 200 in DVD spindles (the cheesy stuff). I'm looking at some ideas in the latest Audio Advisor catalog but I just wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

Budget? $500-$1000.
Post edited by fatchowmein on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    Starting on my 4th $30 wooden dvd 4 tier rack. (Wal-Mart) 30% slim line cases, that makes a huge difference.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2007
    Plastic media storage bins. Each bin holds 25 dvds. Each bin has a letter on it. I have a list of what movies are in each bin. All the bins are stored in a cabinet. If I need to find a movie I pull out the list, look for the corresponding letter next to the movie and go get that bin. It also keeps them dust free, there's no unsightly shelving packed with dvds and there very well organized. The bins were less then $5 each at Lowe's.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited July 2007
    Custom built-in cabinets.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited July 2007
    I don't like bookshelves for their lack of expansion (other than buying more of them) and I wouldn't like the look of several of them sitting next to each other on a wall or walls. I ended up using Elfa systems from The Container Store and custom making my own shelves for them and absolutely love the versatility of them.

HERE'S a thread that I created when I had the thing all done and in that first post I have a link to the website where you can buy the things.

For the shelves, rather than using the shelves that were designed for those brackets specifically, I made my own using the finished pine from HD and just put a back bumper on to keep the DVD's and CD's from pushing back against the wall. See post 14 in the linked thread to see pictures of what I did and how the system works.

You can get various depth brackets etc, but I just went with what would work with DVD's since that's all I was looking for depth wise other than the larger plank that I had a laser printer on. Instead of my going with one solid bookshelf from left to right that was 6', I cut the left side to 36" and the right to 18" so I had some versatility in arrangement. I didn't want to do a 36" wide printer shelf, so that's why I kept that side shorter.

If you have any questions, let me know........

oh ya......I don't know what your schedule is like, but Container Store does a 30% of sale on this stuff once or twice a year. You might want to give them a call and see when their next one is if this appeals to you to save yourself some coin. I think I spent a total of around $300 with all the wood and shelving parts. True, it's more than a bookshelf, but I think it looks a lot better and it has a lot more style to it than a clunky box against a wall.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited July 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    I don't like bookshelves for their lack of expansion (other than buying more of them) and I wouldn't like the look of several of them sitting next to each other on a wall or walls. I ended up using Elfa systems from The Container Store and custom making my own shelves for them and absolutely love the versatility of them.

Hey, that's awesome and I like the versatility. Okay, I'm sold. I know the Container Store always does a big end of year sale around Christmas. Time to break out the tape measure.

Thx Brett!!!!
  • brettw22
    edited July 2007
    I don't know where you live, but if you're local to a Container Store, call them up and ask them when they do the Elfa Sales. I think they do them twice a year..............
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Buy the Sony 400 disk DVD changer. Take the actual DVD holders and stuff them in storage.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • brettw22
    edited July 2007
    I personally like the dvd's being out on a wall.......The changers are ok from a storage perspective, but not known for their overwhelming playback quality........